Frugal Village Forums banner

Frugal Bootcamp

3K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Cricketlegs 
#1 ·
Ok we have done tips and I wanna do it again... I need to go from 101 class to becoming a super saver......I also understand that their might be some her who are an intermediate class. We are hear to learn from each other.
1. Bought self an organizer for bill and reciets and a small stapler to put together spent 3.00
2. asked for cookware for christmas with lids so I could store leftover more effectively without butterbowl/sour cream bowl confusion. 3 sets gifts free
3. raise shades on sunny days no light inuse until sun goes down.
4. fighting with family unplugging anything that is not in use....(not grandma.s tv or lamp)
5. Hubby started cutting his own hair ( he has about 7)
6. starting new coupon systems going to 2 binders 1 house cleaning, hygene, health, pets, toys, movies, clothing, stores, resturants. 1 grocery only.
7. color hair at home, do all beauty stuff my self except cut hair.
8.Put scissors in bathrooms and my beauty stuff to cut open tubes to get it all out.
9.I am on the search for a frugal buddy..I think I need a friend who is the same path as me.... 1 friend coupons, my other friends very wasteful with money.
10. dry clothes on racks and wash on cold
11. STOCKPILE trying to get enough to not buy anything but produce, meat, milk, and bread for the months of NOV, DEC, JAN.
:relieved::feedback:

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm right there with you Oheoh. I have always been frugal-leaning but recently I've become more interested in it. I'm currently in the best financial shape of my life and I feel HOPE and want to maximize the success I've recently been able to manage.

I have been reading a lot about frugality this Christmas break. (I'm a teacher and have been off and had time.)

Gotta say, there's so much out there it's absolutely overwhelming. I would suggest you do a search of "frugal" on youtube and you'll be able to watch a bunch of videos.

Right now I just want to learn about the options and try out some of them to see if I like them and if they're right for me. I for one, could never do extreme couponing. I think it seems dishonest. I could do manufacturers coupons with monthly sales, though and I'm sure I'd still save a bunch.

I also don't want to become overwhelmed. There's so many ideas to choose from and I have a finite amount of time to work on it. I posted about some online money-making opportunities earlier and I don't know if that kind of time investment would pay off.

So good luck. I guess we'll both see what happens over time.

#4 ·
I miss my stockpile! I had a one year stockpile but then dd had to move back home so I lost my spare room to keep it in.

I have decided to try for a 4 month stockpile using only sales and coupons while still buying my usual $400 a month groceries so I don't have to pull any extra money from the budget.

My dd who moved back home is my shopping/coupon buddy. She is a HUGE help with information, time, and the actual work.

We have 2 binders. One has all the categories and coupons for the next coming months and then the smaller one has the coupons for the month. DD works the big binder and I work the small to get the best deal we can.

I am currently working on my price book for cvs, walgreens,target, walmart, drug emporium,krogers, super one foods, and brookshires--GIVE ME STRENGTH! What a J-O-B but it will be invaluable when I am done.

I am with you on only buying what you need. I need 3 mustards for 4 months-period. Buying 4 is a waste of money that could go elsewhere. Also, speaking from a stocker who knows, space is like real estate on the stockpile shelves so use it wisely on what you need and will use.

Electricity is something I pay attention to but not overly so. I don't unplug but I don't waste. I wash most on cold but I love my dryer. I use the dishwasher and we do keep the heat on 69 with throws on the couch and socks on feet and a light jacket or hoodie if cold. I know it sounds high but life is short and I am not living it freezing my rear off.

Another thing is if you have a deep freeze you can freeze your bread. I saw that on you fresh food item list. Also remember that frozen veggies have more nutrients than fresh becasue they get frozen fast and retain them where as fresh sits longer in transit and in stores so maybe you can buy some frozen veggies(with some nice coupons!) to cut down on the amount you need to buy in your target months.

#6 ·
I am not living it freezing my rear off.
I agree, we run our heat and AC higher than most. But, hubbs works outside in weather, heat, cold, rain, snow. He rightly refuses to be unconfrotablely hot or cold when he isn't at work.

But on the other side of that, we pretty much limit power use on everything else.

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#5 ·
Thank u I do buy lots of frozen but waiting till March it is frozen food month. Love canned beans and tomatoes. Tuna and salmon don't like them frozen... NO I WILL NOT FREEZE... Hubby and I have a wood stove and lots of cut wood we need to use... U are right about real estate.. rethink....

#7 ·
Use rags instead of paper towels. You will save so much money. Mine are old towels that I cut up. Some people use bar towels. Yes, I do have a roll of paper towels that people have given me. Three rolls last me a year.

When stockpiling make sure to purchase only what you eat/or use. Stocking up on an item because the cost is low can be a waste of time and money.

#8 ·
I do alot of things that are frugal, but I guess I just never realized it, or looked at it that way

I love vanilla coffee creamer, but I buy the store brand and dilute it half with milk. I cant tell the difference and milk cost less than the creamer.

I wash ziploc bags and reuse them. Years ago they use to make a stand that you could put them on and dry them, but I haven't seen one of those for a long time. When I can, I use the plastic storage bags that do not seal because they are cheaper, but if I am not freezing what I am putting in them, it doesn't matter.

I always check the reduced produce at the grocery store. If they have something that I can use right away I will buy it, especially if its a veggie or fruit that I can use for cooking such as applesauce, tomato sauce, etc

I reuse return reply envelopes that come in the mail that I would normally throw away for things like coupons, money, or lots of other things.

#10 ·
I doubled my coupons savings frm 2010 to 2011 and am gonna keep at it in 2012. Thinking about our options for a small freezer or fridge/freezer for stockpiling.....want one, just have to figure out where to put it in our little ranch. I think if I have one though it would really help me save more $ on food. Another tip, for those with kids in school- skip the juice boxes. Get a good metal 'water bottle', fill it up and send everyday instead of the juiceboxes. Have given that a try this past fall, saved a bunch!

#11 ·
I recently went back over our bank statements the last couple of months and was shocked by what we spent on "convienence" items. We will under no circumstance be eating out for at least one month. I want to set a realistic goal first so that my family that includes 3 teens sees that it isnt the end of the world! I have been freezing certain leftovers that would normally be thrown out to be used at a later time. I cut up the leftovers from our Christmas ham the other day and now have plenty of pieces for soups and beans in the freezer. It amazes me how much we waste that can be frozen and used later.

#12 ·
I am IN! With baby #2 on the way in a couple of weeks plus all my challenges to and goals for myself for 2012, we'll need to save all the extra money we can.

I've thought about cutting up some old towels for dishcloths and washcloths--using these in the kitchen instead of paper towels or paper napkins. We usually use paper towels and a package of napkins can last me almost an entire year, but I use far too many of the former. That's extra $$ that could be put toward food or debt!

I'm going to work REALLY hard on limiting us to one meal OUT per week as we went way over that several times this year. My meal planning should help a lot in this area.

I do want to get a price book established for Wal-Mart and Kroger as I think this will help immensely with the grocery/HBA items we buy often.

I'm sticking to my routine of blinds open all day so as to eliminate the use of lights. That's helped a lot. I'm also turning the thermostat WAY down, or off, when we have nicer days--even in the winter. Usually I have the temp set at 62-ish during the day, turn it up a little in the evening (and early mornings)and then set it at 66 during the night.

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#13 ·
I've always been conservative with money until I developed a chronic health problem. Luckily enough, when my employer let me go because of the health problem and unemployment was denied, I had my investments/savings to use until SSDI was granted. This speaks to the security of stashing so money.

SSDI-living is hell. Barely enough doesn't cut it with an old car, old house and pets. I have been able to find work but a lot of the job situations are just unbearable in office work because three people used to do the same job. I always thrived at 40 hours with much better self control of my spending when I was working full-time.

My extra steps:
1. Use sheets and towels for a week. I do the same for dish towels unless I have to clean up a spill. They last longer and cut down on the laundry.
2. Exercise near home by walking. I visit the YMCA when I am in town for other reasons, like work.
3. Eat leftovers at work plus take your own beverages and snacks. I ate out fast food once a week as a treat.
4. Purchase toiletries and cleaning stuff (misc too) at Dollar Stores. This helps me a lot with a suburban neighborhood grocery store that closes at 10pm and 4x the price gas station as the other alternative.

#14 ·
I did get $26.25 in free HBA and household for my stockpile yesterday so I am off to a good start.

I also got all of my stockpile lists ready to go.

Up side--I have met all my dish soap numbers or 14 bottles for 1 year!

Sadly my laundry soap, softener, and tp and paper towels numbers are lacking.

I'm going to attempt to track the 6 week sale cycle of items that people say happens aka things rotate in sale every 6 weeks at area stores.
If I can figure out the cycle I can really optimize my savings with sales and coupons.

If it turns out to be widespread and not local I'll share my findings.

#15 ·
Great job everyone! Let's keep it up!

I've been adding a little to my change jar (I'm doing the 2012 challenge) every day as I find money. I've also been doing laundry and using less than the recommended amount of detergent (washing in cold).

I looked at the grocery "sale" flyer for the upcoming week and there aren't any really good deals at all so other than milk and bananas (DS-2yr. loves bananas) I probably won't be buying much in the way of groceries so that will save some $$. I did look at last month's grocery envelope and found $55 which I'm going to put in savings (toward my $200 goal for the month for my emergency fund).

#16 ·
I would like to participate! Our store has all dairy items 1/2 price this week so I will be buying 48 gallons of milk to freeze ( 3 months worth).

We already do many frugal things. We recently cut date night out of the monthly budget but decided that $40 is going back in. I need work on my kids with electric. EEEKKK they are bad about leaving things on.

Trying the heat lower but not liking 68 :(

#18 ·
I'm in! Only working three days a week instead of five at work due to a low census in patients. Very frugal to begin with but being underemployed sucks! I do have a big stockpile of HBA so won't have to worry about buying any. Also, use coupons, not like the extreme couponers but compare my coupons to what is on sale. Going to start making baking goods by scratch. Just basically paying the bills that are due each month, getting groceries and gas to work.

#19 ·
hi guys I also have a change jar I forbid my husband and kids to raid it.... I also want freeze or burn up hubby is outside everyday taking the weather as it comes. also u must have a couple big freezers for milk. Wow....
I have been cutting up old ragged towels to use as dish clothes.... It is been pretty here so the heat is way down and not even kicking on.
I am sure we will help each other...
Cricket tracking sales is a good idea...pointers?

#20 ·
I am in!
1.already reuse ziplocs as long as raw meat was not previously stored in.
2. I bring my breakfast and lunch with me to work on days I work.
3. I need to work on having meals ready when I get off work (12 hr shifts) - I am often tempted to stop at fast food on these days.
4. Freeze leftovers if not used within a few days.
5. I need to start using cut up towels for napkins and in place of paper towels.
6. I don't coupon because I typically look for marked downs and shop at Aldis when not getting sale items at the other stores.
7. Shop at goodwill whenever I need new clothes.
8. Learning to sew is a goal for this year as I bought a sewing machine last year off of ebay for a very good price.
9. Plan on a garden next year.
10. turn off all lights when not needed and use space heaters in rooms being occupied. In summer, we use room air units in these rooms also instead of costly central air. This really made a difference last year.

#22 ·
hahahahahaha dish soap..

This morning dh told me we were just about out of dishsoap...i looked at him and watered it down and said nope....looks like an almost full bottle to me...haha...i use a little bit of bleach in the water as a germ killer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.