Frugal Village Forums banner

taking the no eating out to the next level

4K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  Sumacaroni 
#1 ·
Before the end of December our family made the commitment that January would be a no eat out month after spending way too much on eat outs last year. My family has done very well with it but my dd kept saying that we were going out feb 1st for sure! I kept saying no we are not. Well Dh finally set the kids straight. He told them the next time we eat out will be for my birthday in March! Now he and I will have dinner out in Feb for our anniversary but I am so glad he stepped up for support on this one! We talked this morning about how eat outs should be a treat and not routine.

#2 ·
Our kids are like that as well. DS13 was being given money for lunch out with his class on Friday and I was told by DS8 that "he's so lucky". I reminded him that the last time he got to eat out with his dad three days before Christmas, his brother and I ate leftover beef stew and he seemed to quiet up after that.

It's so good to see your DH being super supportive of your lack of eating out plan. :)

Reactions: hmcart
#3 ·
Why not cook restaurant foods at home? Google for 'clone' and 'copycat' recipes for your favorite restaurant eats. Some people even buy those plastic baskets restaurant use to serve your burger and fries, and some of the paper liners to put in them. You can make a special meal at home for pennies on the dollar. Get the kids involved and they'll probably think it's fun.

#4 ·
We rarely ate out when the kids were growing up with money out of pocket. They used to earn "book it" rewards for Pizza Hut and Ponderosa. When they received their certificates I would take them to a matinee (with free coupon from the library) and then we would eat at which ever place they had the reward for. Funny thing is, they don't remember "not" being able to go out to eat...they remember mom took them to the movies and out to eat :). And, all of them always earned their reward and they remembered to bring home the movie tickets from the library.

Reactions: mamamia and hmcart
#13 ·
They used to earn "book it" rewards for Pizza Hut and Ponderosa.
I forgot about Book It. I read a lot as a child, so I was always getting the awards. The nice thing about it, this was back when Pizza Hut was a much better source for chain pizza.

We go to Friendly's and he gets the macaroni and cheese with a hot dog - both things I can make at home, but I'm going to try making them together.
This is one of my favorite meals. Not that I would ever get it when going out, as it doesn't make sense to get things that I can make at home easily.

#5 ·
Eating out has always been our biggest budget-buster as well.

I realized there are 2 triggers to us eating out: 1) me not having something planned to cook; and 2) the social fun of eating out

So if I'm diligent about planning ahead, for about a week at a time, what our suppers will be, I can beat the 1st trigger.

For the social fun, I completely agree with Spirit Dear. And I try to plan the "fun foods" for the weekends... which also happens to be the unhealthy stuff, like hot wings, nachos, potato skins, etc. That and something good to watch on t.v., and we're set. Last weekend, while eating our boneless buffalo wings, homemade french fries, and drinking a cold beer, we talked about how much money we were saving!

#6 ·
When they were younger I always cooked and we got used to eating in. They would rather have all the foods I cooked in a quiet atmosphere instead of waiting forever to get the food there while being annoyed by someone in the restaurant.
(just yesterday I watched a busboy clear 2 tables and not wipe it down. A young family of 7 came and I was treated to "But we all chew w/ our mouth open"). It only cost $30. for 2!
I asked my kids and they still prefer to carryout. Everyone know we don't buy drinks out and share fries! We can all eat 2 meals for 4 people for less than $30. We all know that money can buy something else.
When thye were really little we had water and snacks w/ us at all times. We took them w/ us in the car,to library for after,on hikes,to the park,the beach,things like rv shows. Backpacks everywhere.DH had to get used to it but SO much money saved. And we Never got convienence stuff either. sandwich bags only.

G
#7 ·
This is a bad habit for us as well. It bothers me a bit that DS thinks it's normal to eat out. It's something I want to work on for this year.

I think I'm going to try serving some more "restaurant" meals at home. We go to Friendly's and he gets the macaroni and cheese with a hot dog - both things I can make at home, but I'm going to try making them together. We also tried last weekend "playing restaurant" and having him pick things off a pretend menu then we both cooked them and served them.

#8 ·
T44-My dad had a rule that we couldn't get anything like that at a restaurant. No pb andJ,hamb.,grill cheese,hot dogs. We got to try something new as a restaurant treat. Cuz restaurants are special. Kids are resettable.
Also we always asked for a plate. We let them try bits of what we ate. Result-DD likes sushi,beets,and all sorts of food. Ds ordered fried squid for christmas at a chinese meal and ate most and took the rest home!. Mom almost fell over. He said whats the point of going out if you cant try something unusual you couldnt get at home. I laughed knowing I had planted that thought 14 years ago!lol

#9 ·
I've curbed the impulse eat out/take out beast using my Crock-Pot. It's a lot easier to run errands and then resist the restaurant if there's a meal ready and waiting at home in the Crock.

I agree with not ordering ordinary stuff if I'm eating out. If I'm going to plunk down the money, it better be for something I can't easily get at home.

We were at a pizza place a couple months ago and got to watch the brat kids at the next table, all five of them, tear around the place like it was a playground while screaming their heads off like they were being attacked. That was when they weren't grabbing the various shakers on the table so they could take turns licking the tops of them. The so-called adult that was with them never said a word to them about any of their obnoxious behavior. Once again I had to wonder why parents knowingly set their kids up to be disliked by others. Why don't they love them enough to teach them to act correctly? I do love when stuff like that happens though. Every time the 'ick' factor for eating out gets racheted up, that makes me want to cook at home and that's money in my pocket.

#10 ·
It's amazing what you can come up with for creativity with eating.......

I will CRAVE french fries........the last time I did, I just fixed my own at home........if I am going to consume the calories I might as well save the gas $ to do it!!

Love the idea that kids have to try something new when you eat out..........GREAT IDEA!! Great way to expand horizons!

#11 ·
So good to hear all of the suggestions! We have been menu planning and doing very well with it. I think that was our biggest downfall. Lack of planning. My kids really have done well and we have no intentions of going back tot the way it was for sure. Now we will probably eat out for birthdays and such but that is it! :)

#15 ·
Okay so now that all of yall have shared your tips I am going to share the moment that made our family stop eating out. This is me swallowing my pride here because I hate to admit this. I spent the month of December stressing about the money being spent. I always do that. So I sat down and added all of the "eat outs" from our check register. Now keeping in mind we are a family of 6, we spent over $400 in the month of December alone! That does not include groceries! We are half way through January and have not eat out once. I even lowered our grocery budget as an extra challenge. We did not start with a huge stockpile and we do not coupon. The running total in my signature is what we have spent on groceries including hba and cleaning and cat stuff this month! You can see it is far less than our eat outs last month! If that is what it took to get my family on board then so be it but it has been very eye opening for us! I am so thankful for the support here!

#16 ·
We used to eat out quite a bit, but found that not only were we wasting a lot of money, the food wasn't all that great either. Now we only go out for special occasions (maybe 3 times a year). My biggest downfall to going out was I get tired of cooking every single day, especially when DH is super picky and used to complain about nearly everything I made. Since DH has gotten on board though, he is content with sandwiches or cheap frozen pizza when I'm having an "off" day.

#17 ·
We are currently doing a no eating out challenge too. It is more for me though! Dh and the kids are in school every day and I am home by myself working. Well I found that I would work for awhile in the morning and then head out for errands. It was too early for lunch before I left, but I found myself getting hungry. And when it is just 1 person eating out for lunch it is pretty cheap, so I kept stopping. I had to cut myself off! Aside from using a starbucks GC to get a drink once while I worked in another town I have done pretty well.

Dd had a gymnastics meet this week and we ended up being there over the dinner hour both Friday and Saturday. Ugh! I packed lots of food the first day, but after being at school all day the kids must have been hungry because they eat it all in about 30 minutes and were still hungry. Knowing we had 4 more hours there we ended up getting a few things from the concession stand. We spent less than $10, but still, I guess I failed at that challenge. Ugh!

#18 ·
Yep tallying up the money spent eating out is a tough pill to swallow for us but we've done far better now that we are aware of this as a pitfall. I am certain the amount paid off in my signature would not look as promising had we not stopped the insanity. We were spending hundreds each month, thousands over the course of a year.....:puck:

#19 ·
We (my dds and I) usually eat out and shop off my monthly allowance of $250. I get it in spurts. The 1st I get $50. The 8th I get $75. The 15th I get $125.

If we want to go eat or run to the local clothes resale or what have you I try to pull it from my allowance. My dh gets the same amount and uses his for lunch and beer. Beer pshut! It's his allowance so I don't get to tell him how to spend it lol!

So If I want to blow the whole wad on eating out that is my money to do so and it is a budgeted amount so it doesn't even factor into the budget past 2 lines on the columnar sheet that say allowances Dean and allowances Caryn.

#20 ·
What Starlight said. Restaurant food usually isn't all that great, especially at chains. Most of the chains now use food that's not cooked at the restaurant, it's just reheated. I can buy soup from a can at the grocery store a lot cheaper than soup from a can at a restaurant!

Portions are way too big too, way more than we would normally eat at home.

Overall, we don't eat out much because it's just too disappointing for the money we end up spending.

#21 ·
My DH just decided to end eating out. It's actually quite embarrassing but we have only went grocery shopping once in three months. That's how much we go out. We've spent way too much money and both of us have gained more weight then ever. Our challenge is one month for now, but we'll keep going I'm sure!

#23 ·
We are trying to cut back on eating out. Not eliminating completely, but cutting back. Our girls went to a big dance competition last weekend and everyone was doing carry out food. We compromised by bringing lunch one day and buying one day. It saved us a little money. I'm trying to make our eating out more intentional. We are trying to see our friends more- we have been busy the past few years and have kind of neglected our friendships. So, we have had a few dinner/lunch dates set up with friends- those have been nice. We don't take the kids or just my husband or I go so we don't end up spending that much. When we do take the kids out we have been taking out one at a time so that way it is less expensive. We enjoy eating out so it can be a challenge, but we are working on it.

#27 ·
I think it's a great idea too! I don't know how we got from it being a special treat to being almost a daily occurrence, but we are trying to cut way back...it's been such a drain on the finances, I hate to think about how much $$ we've wasted that way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.