Frugal Village Forums banner

Do you consider yourself frugal?

Tags
frugal
5K views 34 replies 32 participants last post by  Maine Girl 
#1 ·
I saw this on an old thread, and thought maybe we should revisit it.

If yes, is it by choice or cirumstances?

Are you extreme about it?

#2 · (Edited)
I consider myself frugal, but I'm definitely not hard core and there are areas where I am not frugal. I guess I am more of a "Bargain Shopper" than truly frugal. I don't do anything real extreme to save money- just the typical things like buy things when they are at the best price, use coupons, etc. We have enough resources to meet our basic needs. However, we choose to have some expensive things in our lives so being frugal in some areas allows us to spend more in others. We are not frugal when it comes to our kids activities- there is a certain amount that it costs no matter what. They have expensive hobbies and we save in all other areas so that we can fund those hobbies. We are as frugal as we can be with those hobbies though- we do participate in fundraisers, we share hotel rooms with others when we can when we travel. For team dinners we share food or order less expensive. We mail order required equipment after researching the best price, etc. In our daily lives, we go out to eat, but use a coupon. We go on vacation, but only when we can find a great deal to do so. We buy designer clothes, but off of the clearance rack and resell when we are done. We use coupons at the grocery store, but also choose to buy very little processed foods so those coupons only go so far. We do know the sales trends though so we buy when items are at their best price. I keep the heat turned down a little, but we use A/C all summer. We do our best. But we definitely are not hard-core like many on this site. But being a little frugal allows us to do most of the things we want to do.

#3 ·
Yes. But I think I choose where I am frugal. I send my kids to private school, we travel, my son is very active in sports. In those areas I am not frugal :)

I am frugal with grocery shopping as much as I can be. Actually any shopping I like to pay the least I can :)

The other day I was at Albies and I passed a lady (a few times actually) who had a cart full of ketchup, mustard, and rice a roni. I was really curious if she was a fellow couponer or ???

#4 · (Edited)
Itis probably by circumstance...I have to stretch my dollars to make them cover all our needs..
I shop on sale or clearance... I coupon.... I yard sale....I once a month cook.. I bake.... I hang dry...... I stockpile.... use vinegar as cleaning solutions.... I turn off lights.... Turn down the heat.... use a wood burning frieplace....
Even if I had money I would probably still do all these things....
But I would buy all the produce I want....
go shopping more often for people that I love on sale and clearance.
buy an RV so we could go on road trips which are my faves...
oh well we all love to dream... even if I won the lottery I would still yard sale.....

#5 ·
~Frugal?
Oh my yes! Practicing good economy over many small areas leads to huge rewards.
By choice or circumstances?
Both. At our rate of income, we do have to be frugal. But we choose to be seriously frugal as a way to reflect our beliefs, afford a larger than average family and increase our financial freedom.
Are you extreme about it?
Oh I'm sure I'm extreme by many people's standards. I'm willing to do just about anything that isn't cheap or depressing or proven to be harmful to conserve our resources. I'm not so extreme that I sacrifice all comfort and pleasure. I love simple living so what I'm able to say no to would make a lot of other people think I'm deprived.
"Extreme" is highly subjective.~

G
#6 ·
I consider myself frugal. When I found this board we made a lot less than we do not, but we still do a lot of frugal things. We shop for marked down meat and use coupons. We buy used cars. I reuse ziploc bags. I'm not as extreme as many people on here, but for us that's largely a trade-off of time (we both work full-time, so a lot of the time intensive frugal activities are out for us). I'm not frugal because we have to be (at least right now), but because we want to be.

#7 ·
Yes, but I also choose where to be frugal. Back when I joined this board it was necessity as we were low income and paying off a huge debt. Now it is by choice. My fondest wish is for dh to be able to retire early.

I don't believe we are extreme at all. Some people we know will say we are though.

#8 ·
We are frugal, both by choice and by circumstances. We live on less than most I see posting here (well below the poverty level) yet we have more than many in this world and we are grateful for it.

We are EXTREME in our frugality - we have to be, or we sink. Between health concerns (meaning we can't eat out EVER, can't use processed foods EVER, etc.) and so on. . .

We do things that I'd never admit to, online - for fear of being bashed, yet it's the only way to survive for us. (we don't do anything illegal or anything I consider immoral - although I know that can vary), but we do things that shock those around us, when they discover it.

#9 ·
A big push for frugal living for us is the future. We try to save for retirement and you just never know what the future has in store
DD will need braces in the next few years which will be $$ and DS will be a few years after that.

Also, expenses keep going up. DH and I were just talking about the increase in our medical/dental deductibles....

#10 ·
Since we have no scientific measuring tool as to the boundaries of frugality, it remains a matter of perspective. I think we are frugal. But there are those who would disagree. And there are those who think we are extreme, while I do not see it as so.

At first we were frugal by circumstance. We were beginning teachers on the lowest rung of the salary ladder. Back then, it was unheard of for an employer to furnish insurance, and because we could not afford it, we had no health insurance. We also had no telephone for a while. That's just an example of things we could not afford, and we also refused to take on debt to have things.

But financially, life got better. We advanced each year on the salary ladder; hubby worked a night job in addition to teaching, and later we both taught night school (after offspring was older). However, the old habits of frugality die hard.

We are retired now, and comfortable. I would guess we are upper middle class with our combo of pension, social security and income stream from investments. But we choose to monitor our utility usage, to stay out of debt, to live in a smaller older home, to do things ourselves (such as lawn care, cleaning, car care, home maintenance, etc) rather than hire a service to do this. I still wash out my baggies, and save Christmas wrappings! Our vehicles are each about 10 years old, and still going well, thanks to Hubby's maintenance. We love Goodwill and yard sales, and wear second hand clothes. Sounds frugal to me!!!

But our priorities are uniquely ours, as it is with most families. We choose to be frugal in certain areas so that we can be generous in other areas. We're not steak and lobster people (although I would love to be!!!), but we eat well and sensibly. We garden to give us cheaper and better food. I don't throw food away; everything is used up. I think that eating well saves money on medicines and doctor and hospital bills. Ditto for my gym membership. I'm investing in health!!

We like to travel. The only way we can indulge that habit is to save in other areas. We give about 30% of income away to church and charities and in helping individuals. That money comes from somewhere; it's only by being frugal in some areas that we can do this.

We have little luxuries and some big luxuries that I would never have thought possible in the past. For example, we have a hot tub in the back yard. That was a wonderful investment for my older joints, and peace of mind. It's a luxury, but we waited until we could pay cash. Hubby has a little barn made into a woodshop; again it's a luxury, but we paid cash for it.

Overall, if a family is responsible in meeting the needs of the family, in keeping up with taxes, insurance, utilities, and payments, and is saving for the future, then I think they can spend their money on other things and not be out of line, frugally. It's also important to learn to wait, and that's hard when you see others of your age living well, or appearing to live well.

Reactions: mamamia
#11 ·
Yes, we are frugal. Not as frugal as some, but more frugal than others. Some of it is because of choice and some is because of circumstances and some of it is because I am just a tightwad. I wouldn't do well as a "rich" person. I can't see having the huge house and the fancy cars and all. Well, if I ever win one of those 100 million zillion dollar lotteries, I might buy a fancy car. But, I would still be frugal about it and I would still use coupons and shop loss leaders and such.

Am I extreme? Depends on who you ask. Some people I know (and are related to) think that I am crazy for some of the things that I do. Some people (usually not related to me) think that I am very wise with my money.

#12 ·
At first it was out of necessity. Now it is also by choice, although necessity over rules. I know where the money goes and thanks to FV have more skills to save money.

Compared to many here I probably am not as frugal they are. The reason I said by choice is that I am able to get alot more out of what I receive each month.

#14 ·
I believe that I am and its a lifestyle i was brought up to.
I like to buy used goods,I would feel like a fool paying full price and why wouldn't I use a coupon so I can funnel that money some where else. There's only so much money to go around after all.
Now there are times where I really double down and times where I relax a bit too.

#16 ·
Yes and I consider it to be a choice but, not one born of circumstance.

I married young and I have always used coupons and always had a budget (knowing what was coming in & going out & when). We used what we had and made do or we saved until we had the money to do whatever it was we wanted to do (buy a car). I shopped sales & went yard saling when my kids were growing up and I still do those things.

I don't consider myself extreme and I do not look at money as being a means to all ends. Money, in and of itself is not that important to me...so long as we have enough to keep our roof over our heads, lights/heat/etc., clothes on our backs and food in our bellies I'm pretty content.

#17 ·
I was raised in a spartan situation as a child. I never had many clothes or stuff. It was actually devoid of anything positive too but that's another story. Two miserable parents make two miserable kids.

I paid my way through college after losing my pell grant due to changes in rules the same semester my father got laid off and soon retired. I have lived on my own since college. At first, things were tight but comfortable. I auto saved 10% almost immediately but would dip in when I needed to cover something unexpected. I never paid any credit card interest my first 8 years on my own. I took college classes as I was dissatisfied with my employment and I also paid cash to travel.

When I turned 30, I developed a health problem that caused loss of my employment. I was denied unemployment but was saved by my savings/investments. I had amassed $45k never earning over $29k annually. I eventually qualified for SSDI and ran through my savings quickly covering my med bills (including 2 hospitals) without insurance. I also had a roof to completely replace and a termite swarm with which to deal without any help.

I will admit I'm leaving an abusive relationship. I have suffered a lot of financial damages due to the trespassings and vandalisms. I'm hoping my nut gets bored so I can make a dent in the bills he left me to remember his family by.

My health problem never subsided. I'm now going to be left dealing with it permanently, probably. I'm not as frugal as I once was due to the exhaustion over my health problems and my resulting situation. I sometimes resort to eating out just to cheer myself up or because I'm just too wiped out to deal with it. When I start to feel really low, I try to sleep so I can recharge my batteries a little. I'm still doing 10 times better than a lot of people with my condition and being under this much stress.

I'm now trying to learn a new skill to possibly try working in another field. I want to try part-time first but may accept something full-time if the situation in the company is okay.

I can't be hard on myself for my situation because it is 10 times better than what my abuser had in mind for me. I can't be hard on myself for being depressed or exhausted when dealing with my health problems, the debt from the abuser and just functioning normally to work part-time and take 3 classes a semester. I just have to be content to keep on going and moving away from my abusive situation. I will eventually get the debt paid off, I will eventually be working in a part-time job I enjoy, I will eventually not wonder if abuser broke something in the yard that moved (this went on in the house for a while - friend stole the keys) and maybe eventually the health situation won't be as draining. I'm controlling what I can pretty okay. I'm not as frugal as before but I'm still functioning better than many with my problems.

#18 ·
We are a VERY frugal family! I think for both reasons, we almost never eat out, I make everything from scratch.
I make our own laundry detergent, fabric softener, cleaners, bath salts, shampoo, conditioner, soaps, dishwasher detergent, febreeze, seasonings, soup mixes, dressings, right down to pickles! I sew/repair things instead of just replacing them, I make our own curtains, even rags! we have a garden and do our own dehydrating, canning and preserving, we raise chickens for eggs and meat and are working toward more animals and more sefl sufficiency!
we have smokers, bbq's, rock pits and in ground cooking holes for out door cooking with wood and brick. clothes lines, we heat strictly with wood stoves, we shop at yard sales thrift stores, follow coupons, sale add's and case lot prices.
I was born and raised in Alaska by a bush cop and we hunted, fished and grew our own food. I do not believe in prepared food, it is unhealthy and I will not feed it to my family. My husband was raised by a very poor family and is frugal, not as frugal as I am because I wont stop at the store for a coffee LOL.......We are frugal by some choice and some neccessity.

#19 ·
I am definitely frugal. Both by choice as well as circumstance. I thought I was bad off 2 yrs ago, but now its much worse. I always manage to make it though. Even if I were wealthy I would still be thrifty. My bf calls me a tightwad. I don't take it as an insult. I know its the right way to live. He wonders why I always manage to be ahead of him even though I make less money. I am smarter with money than he is. There are so many that have it worse off than I do so I try to be happy with what I have.

#20 ·
Yes, I am frugal. It is by circumstance. It is extreme.

That said, if I were magically in another place at another time and circumstances did not dictate frugality, I think I would keep it up. I like it a lot.

#21 ·
I consider myself frugal, it's been a way of life for years, learned from my mother. I coupon, shop sales, discounted produce and ebay. I've always enjoyed a bargain but realize that your money can dribble away on all sorts of bargains, so it means I have to pay attention!

#22 ·
I would say I am somewhat frugal though not as extreme as some here. Although I am working on becoming more frugal everyday :)
I have been through both. We were very poor when I was growing up. My mom sometimes went without eating in order to feed me. I was also poor when I was single.
Then I got married and things got much better and my husbands job was going well. Oh my! I hate to admit the $ we blew! Went out to eat all the time, movies, shopping trips. The worst part was we don't have any of that stuff left to show for it because it was all consumed or cheap junk.
Then in the recession my dh lost his job. That was scary! Now we are doing better financially because dh got a new job. However, we still aren't at the level we were before. But I am so much more frugal than I was! I am actually more comfortable in some ways because I am so used to being "poor" because that is the way I grew up.
I am happier now than I have ever been. Even as our incomes increase and bills decrease I will keep up my frugal ways because I see all the benefits to that.
Its so funny but when we had "money" we weren't half as happy because we didn't know what to do with it!

#24 ·
I consider myself pretty frugal, extremely so to some (especially those in my family) but not nearly extreme to some folks. The main reason at the moment is circumstances, but even when our financial situation is better, I still try to be as frugal as I can. It has just become habit for me, and I've always been the type of person that can't stand to pay some inflated retail price for something, so have always bought used and marked down items as much as possible.

#25 ·
Yes but by circumstance only unless I can tie it into "saving the earth" behaviors. That seems to be the only thing that can trump my spending and wasting urges.

A lot of people in my current world would consider me cheap, frugal, downright tightwad by nature but I know I'm only doing it out of necessity and that if I hit the lottery, look out. Heck, if I find $5 on the street I'm looking for a place to spend it. It sucks, I want to change that, but pretty much all I've figured out is to change the actions (of what to do with the $) even though I still have the feelings.

#26 ·
We are frugal by choice now, but started out frugal by circumstance. Our plan was for me to go back to work when the kids reached kindergarten age. But their health problems dictated another path. I ended up staying home and trying to make do on a beginning librarian's salary, which is well below poverty level.

Now the kids are grown we have my health problems preventing me from going back to work. So we are frugal in some areas to make room in other areas. We admit we will be counting on pensions to see us through retirement. We just never got enough ahead to save seriously in our RRSPs (Canada's retirement plan).

However we also have serious doubts about those plans being any good in the long run. I've had several retirees tell me they actually ended up worse financially for having them than investing in a simple GIC over the long term...even at .5%. So DH and I are taking heed and listening. We'll be investing outside our RRSP from here on in.

Still we do things like wash baggies, turn off lights and watch utility usage, keep the thermostat down, plan our meals, stockpile, can food, freeze food, shop sales, etc. We wear used clothes when we can get something that fits, and we use discount barbers/stylists. We plan errand days once a week, and vacations once a year are done as frugally as possible for us. DH put his foot down on camping. He hates it!

So yeah, we're still frugal. Maybe not as black belt as before, but up there. It's nice to know our frugal living in the past has given us options now when we need them due to our health.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.