Frugal Village Forums banner

What do you cut out of the budget when $ is tight?

6K views 37 replies 33 participants last post by  bent 
#1 ·
Again, just reading through the old posts, and this comment caught my eye.

#6 ·
hot school lunch for kids
hobbies
anything new re: clothing or household - must be bartered, borrowed, or second hand
snack-type groceries
movie rentals
any recreation that costs ca$h like paid school functions
no parties, no going out, no eating out, homegrown fun only :)

#7 ·
When money is tight, I cut out anything I don't need.

If it's still tight...

Then, I cut out those things which I can live without, but prefer not too..like I can live without the corn chips, the ice cream, the cereal, the paper towels, the new underwear, the name brand coffee, the herbal tea...

There's a lot of things I've gotten into a habit of getting that I really like, but I can live without them and eat beans, rice, water and bread for a month or so.

A pound of beans goes a long way.

Backwoodsgirl

Reactions: NewLeaf
#8 ·
Anything not utilities, gas needed to get to work, food, absolutely needed medical, car payment and rent/mortgage.

When we were in dire straits I found that certain bills, like the electric, gas, and phone could be partially paid, as long as they were getting something each month. Hospitals and doctor's offices will sometimes work out a payment plan if you call and ask about it as soon as you realize you cannot pay the whole bill. Otherwise they send you to collections ASAP.

Reactions: Libby
#9 ·

Anything that isn't necessary except my cigarettes of course...working on quitting but, until that day comes they are a necessity for me.

#10 ·
I cut out anything not needed to live...internet, cable, eating out or going out anywhere except school, church or job, snack foods, paper towels, soft drinks, no clothing or wants whatsoever etc....just anything and every thing we can live without.

I keep electric and water. I access what I have and buy only those staples I need to get is through.

#12 ·
We overspent in January/February. So, I need to get back on track.
The first thing I did was mealplan with panty items. I also put a notebook in my purse and started writing down everything I spend. Those two things alone got me back on track.

In the past we have cut cable, cell phone usage, kids activities, lessons, etc...

#13 ·
In the past we had to cut:
home phone and just had cell phone (we've continued that one even when things got better)
cable- we lived years without it- I'd do it again, but we have it now
downgraded our health insurance to catestrophic, but kept a low deductible (we went to $200 a month- had been paying $1400 a month)
Bought less expensive groceries
Cut back on driving a little
No purchases other than consumable

We lived on very little off and on for several years. Some of our frugality has stuck even when times aren't so lean which is what helps us to be able to do everything we can now.

#14 ·
I know I can cut back on groceries since I have a stockpile I can go to. Would cut back on any purchases and just make sure the bills are paid. Sometimes I can cut back on how much I take out for laundry since I may have extra rolls of quarters.

It is annoying when unexpected expense comes around. Just glad I have a good stockpile to fall back on.

#16 ·
I cancelled my cable about $79.00 a month, and subscribed to Netflix live streaming for $8.00 a month.

Have a magic jack plus arriving today, using it along with Google voice. Cutting back about $30.00 for my land line, to about $30.00 a year.

Bought a Creaclip, and new clippers, grew my hair out and let it go back to my natural color. I'm going to cut our own hair at home. Saving allot here it use to cost me about $90.00 a month to get my hair done. (Have not got my hair done accept a cut since 2005)

Usually at this time of year I go crazy online searching sites like Old Navy/Children's place buying kids sale/clearance items from winter. You can buy all the winter clothes on clearance = School clothes for fall!!

In the spring I walk to work that way I lose weight by the time summer comes along/tone up and do not waste gas.

No eating out, make due with what we have. Always check prices online/ on eBay before buying them at full price! We do a lot of Dollar tree shopping and avoid Walmart unless we are shopping on-line.

#18 ·
If it's a short-term thing, eating out, movies, shopping for clothes. Anything non-essential.

With us and my hubby's accident it has been 7 months so in addition to the above we are eating very simple foods, using up what we have, only buying stockpile at real savings, cut out satellite package to cheapest one (cause all we do of an evening is watch tv), no driving unless absolutely necessary and combine trips to save fuel.

#19 ·

I've never been in severe dire straights type situation but I have spent more then I was bringing in. Luckily I was able to stop myself before it got too out of control. *knocks on wood*

I'd like to think I'd be able to cut out:

* stockpiling - it'd be an ideal time to start using it up or more often then I currently am
* all forms of entertainment (incl buying media)/out of the house socializing - people would need to start coming to us (our home) this includes vacations/get aways, personal beauty ie professional hair cuts, mani's & pedi's
* eating/dining/take out incl my coffees out
* trying new recipes which may require specialty/luxury ingredients and/or cookware

If its an extreme situation - honestly I'd adapt as best as I could. We'd sell off our extra vehicles & things, cut back on cells & cable. Basically whatever needed to be cut and could be cut, would.

It'd be back to bare essentials type living.

#23 ·
When our phone company kept raising it's rates, I cut back to just plain phone service and got a throwaway cell phone for emergency calls. If I needed to call someone, I had them call me back on the home phone.

Saved a lot of money that way. Phone bill went from $67 a month down to $30.

Backwoodsgirl

#25 ·
I am in the process of figuring out what to cut back on. We're not in trouble, I just want to add to savings. The first thing I did was to make some homemade laundry detergent. A small thing, but at least I'm back on the right track. The other thing is getting my grocery money out of the bank in cash. When I have cash in hand I am much more careful. Next, I want to make some dry mixes instead of buying at the store (bisquick, browning mix, gravy mix, etc.)

#26 ·
First to go is any extra, and out of the ordinary FOOD ITEMS.
Usually have a good enough stock pile to last for awhile. But
buy cheaper cuts of meat.........if I buy any.

Turn the heat down ANOTHER NOTCH..........less washing done and with a fuller washing machine.

Less 'frivolous trips' made in the car........combine more errands, even though it can make for a long day.

Don't even THINK about eating out..........all meals at home!

NO THRIFT STORE TRIPS..........really don't need anything....and don't even GO NEAR a hobby store!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.