Frugal Village Forums banner

Need - survive or thrive - a question

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  lisaflex 
#1 ·
Do you think there is a difference is what you/one needs to survive and what you/one need to thrive?

#3 ·
Food, water, shelter.

When times get tough, I remind myself of those.

#8 ·
I remember reading about one of the very early Arctic explorers being interviewed on his return, and was asked something like "what did you learn from your trip?" His answer was, "I learned how little you really need in order to be happy."

In other words, when things are in a basic survival mode, something simple like a warm dry pair of socks or a hot meal can bring you more joy than the latest Iphone or whatever.

One of my favorite quotes - until you realize that enough is enough, you will never have enough.

I am blessed that I have enough. And I lead a very simple life.

#9 ·
I can look at this from my own experience interning at nonprofits while studying social work.

These resources can help you survive. But it takes one more step to thrive:
1. Desire to make the changes to yourself and your living situation so you can afford it.
2. A knowledge of what low cost/free resources are available in your community. Ie: library, Vocational Rehab, food pantries, free/low cost computer classes, affordable health care, professional clothing
3. Desire to improve their situation is so helpful to thriving - desire to work and self teach using free/cheap resources to improve employment improves their living situation/financial stresses.
4. Adequate social activities to make one feel cared for/connected.
5. The people who manage to thrive on a survival level have suffered a bad enough experience that their current living situation is an improvement. (Ie. Abused woman) These peoplecan feel great living a lifestyle with few unplanned expenses - except medical. They live in an apartment/rental and use public transit. Some may have a pet but you need to have a sufficient amount of money left over at the end of the month to save to cover unplanned expenses - like medical needs the pet might have + your own medical expenses.

There are a lot of resources to help you survive. Call 211 if you are anywhere near homelessness. Thrive will take a little longer but you will not be alone. There is strength in this.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for your thought out answers everyone. ( would love to hear more thoughts on this topic too so feel free to continue to post)

I wanted to see what others thought before giving my thoughts.

I think the "thrive need" is where the debate about if something is a need or a want lies.

Tutoring for a child failing math and thus possibly failing high school a survival need. Instrumental lessons a thrive need for some and a want for others. Luckily, for my area, the town and school system sees tutoring in math, science, and English as a need survival need and not a thrive need, thus they provide it for free.

I also think that sometimes someone might see something as a want while someone else would see it as a thrive need.

Example: Summer camp We saw it as a want while someone we knew thought for Little Miss it was a thrive need and thus provided it for her. Having seen what it accomplished in her, how it helped her to thrive, we have moved summer camp up for a want to a thrive need and will try to provide it for her. Sometimes thrive needs have to go unfulfilled in place of survival needs. It is a fact of life.

#12 ·
Thanks for your thought out answers everyone. ( would love to hear more thoughts on this topic too so feel free to continue to post)

I wanted to see what others thought before giving my thoughts.

I think the "thrive need" is where the debate about if something is a need or a want lies.

Tutoring for a child failing math and thus possibly failing high school a survival need. Instrumental lessons a thrive need for some and a want for others. Luckily, for my area, the town and school system sees tutoring in math, science, and English as a need survival need and not a thrive need, thus they provide it for free.

I also think that sometimes someone might see something as a want while someone else would see it as a thrive need.

Example: Summer camp We saw it as a want while someone we knew thought for Little Miss it was a thrive need and thus provided it for her. Having seen what it accomplished in her, how it helped her to thrive, we have moved summer camp up for a want to a thrive need and will try to provide it for her. Sometimes thrive needs have to go unfulfilled in place of survival needs. It is a fact of life.
Sorry but I disagree about the tutoring being a survival need. I know lots of people that didn't graduate high school (one in particular dropped out in 9th grade) and are doing quite well. They have more than food water shelter and more than I have actually. So I would classify that as a thrive not a survive. Education is great but I still believe its in the "thrive" category.

G
#11 ·
I think along the same lines as you, imagine. When something is necessary to thrive, it puts it in the grey area between want and need.

I like the food analogy best - sure, if you eat 1000 calories per day of ramen or gruel or whatever you won't die - but do you want to feel like a starvation victim? Sure, you're surviving - but you definitely aren't thriving.

Plenty of people are in horribly abusive situations - you can survive abuse, but you aren't going to thrive.

On a more personal note - my son has autism. He'll survive without therapy, but he'll probably thrive with it.

I think most people here incorporate a bit of "thrive" into their "basics" - but it's kind of interesting to tease them out.

#15 ·
Yep, there is definitely a difference. Along with the thrives...this weekend I spent at a dance competition with my daughters. We stayed at a less expensive hotel than most of her friends. We ate at cheaper restaurants than most of her friends. I didn't buy her any clothes or items from the vendors set up at the competition. We forgo the movie she was invited to to swim for free in the pool at the hotel. All of this cut our costs in half this weekend. I explained to my daughter that she is not DEPRIVED, but she is not spoiled. And she got it. We provide as much of the thrives as we can, but not always ALL of the extras that some families do. And our kids get it and are fine with it.

#16 ·
Basics met (survive)with hope for the future (thrive). Everyone needs both.

#17 ·
i'm with imagine - dd needs the math tutoring...we are not willing to let her fall behind and be hindered later on (she is in third grade and we have had a tutor for a year now) we do 1/2 hr a wk during the school yr for $25. in the summer we do an hour a wk for $50. to us this is a necessity.

we would do without then deny her the right to learn and get the most out of it.

we do summer camp to the tune of $2750....but it is well worth it for her self confidence, making new friends, learning new skills, and becoming more empowered...we would even forego our summer beach vacation if need be to pay for this for her.

the beginning post was a fully loaded question. no bashing please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.