help...DH showers forever! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

With well water also besides the water usages issue,well going dry, and electric for the water heater, there's the electric usage with the well pump. A well pump running will rack the $'s big time.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge/October
    $103.86

October/ Grocery
    /Goal $200.00 Total $63.25

Eat Out No More Oct
    Goal 20
    Accomp/17

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/11

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my issue is the well running dry. This is the 1st time in my life that I have lived with a well. So I don't know much about them. Except,
    that a well can run dry. My husband and step son are used to living in the city and never had water issues. I have cut the water heater down some.
    I truly understand about the relaxation and also wanting to make sure they are clean since they work with mirror. I am not sure if a 1 hour shower from each of them in different bathrooms at the same time is necessary. First of all, if anyone needs to use the bathroom, they have them both occupied at the same time and then they are in there showering for an hour!
    My electric bill has increased tremendously since we have been married. Its bad to say, but they give me $100 towards the electric bill and I have to pay the rest. That's good when the bill is $110....but $200 is crazy. I have to pay $100 or more at times and I am always trying to conserve water and energy.
    I guess I need to get up some nerve and address this issue. I pray it doesn't cause any problems.
    Thank you my FV family!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They "give" you $100 towards the electric bill, and you're responsible for the rest? I'm confused...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm impressed you have enough hot water for two simultaneous showers lasting an hour.

Another thing, if you are already concerned about bringing up such a minor topic in your marriage, you may be in for some trouble later on. Keep your lines of communication open, and don't be afraid of discussing things that bother you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by FrabjousDay View Post
    They "give" you $100 towards the electric bill, and you're responsible for the rest? I'm confused...
    sounds strange.......he just hands me $100 and says...."for the light
    bill". My sick sister and my 14 year old daughter lives with me too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
    I'm impressed you have enough hot water for two simultaneous showers lasting an hour.

Another thing, if you are already concerned about bringing up such a minor topic in your marriage, you may be in for some trouble later on. Keep your lines of communication open, and don't be afraid of discussing things that bother you.
    I believe they don't mind if the water gets cold. My husband and
    step son are from Mexico and are used to bathing in a river. So.....cool water isn't a problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Is the shower a novelty to them? If so the novelty will wear off.
    As far as the well it should go down to an aquifer but I can't say for yours. Our is deep at 400'.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No way am I going to *tell* an adult who is a wage earner in the home how long they can shower....really??
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No one needs a one-hour shower. They are not showering. They are playing with themselves.

I'm a man and I can get good and sweaty working outside. A ten minute shower is plenty.

Install a low-flow showerhead. Turn down the thermostat on the water heater as low as it will go.

In our guest cabin, I installed a half-size water heater. That way, guests who don't believe our water restrictions will run out of hot water before the well runs dry.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    As far as the well it should go down to an aquifer but I can't say for yours. Our is deep at 400'.
    Wells do run dry. Our well recharges at 2 gallons per hour in the summertime. Yes, you read that right, 2 gallons per hour, not per minute. If we draw water from it faster than 2 gallons per hour for long enough, it will go dry. I've done it, though not with a shower.
    Last edited by KeithBC; 04-11-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KeithBC View Post
    No one needs a one-hour shower. They are not showering. They are playing with themselves.
    Dude if he can do that for an hour, more power to him!
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Keith- I do forget not everyone lives in the great lakes state.
    AS FAR AS THE OTHER comment I won't. LAAAALAAAALAAA I'm not listening.lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    Dude if he can do that for an hour, more power to him!
    Ha, sounds like they need a cold shower

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am married to a paper pusher who used to shower for 45 minutes every day. We had a chat. We live in a 90 year old house with old lead water lines that are encrusted in minerals over the years. Water pressure is very low. You can't shower and use water any other place in the house at the same time. He basically showered until he ran out of hot water.

His reason was similar to mndtrp's...to think things over. I suggested he do his thinking other places. Some of us need the facilities and a glass of water every now and then (though I partly solved that by keeping a pitcher of water in the fridge). Forget trying to make supper while he was having a shower though. Or doing laundry... It isn't a case of diverting cold or hot water... It's a case of having any at all!

He seems to have negotiated the shift to a 15 minute shower quite nicely...especially when shown the water and natural gas bill differences between 45 minute and 15 minute showers. It does add up. You might want to take up massage to help him relax his muscles in the evenings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If they are showering that long chances are they also p in the shower thus saving a flush or two. Just saying. (Hehe)
    If You Find Yourself Dancing In The Rain
    You Have Been Blessed

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=KeithBC;4111519230]No one needs a one-hour shower. They are not showering. They are playing with themselves. /QUOTE]

this is what i am thinking...

for myslef, i take an enormous garden tub of bath alomst everyday. i work hard and it's my budget. i would harrass the kid but not the spouse.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast