Frugal Village Forums banner

BOGOF Deals going away?

Tags
bogof deals
3K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  NikoSan999 
#1 ·
So I got our weekly albertsons ad today and as I was looking it over the entire back page is filled with BOGO deals.

Only it's buy 2 get 1 free.

It made me wonder if BOGOF deals will phase out.

Hrmph.

#4 ·
Publix is still doing a lot of them. At least for the time being. I haven't done many of them lately tho cause I'm trying to use up a bunch before we move.
Winn Dixie is still doing them but they are SO much higher than Publix.

#5 ·
Whenever I have checked with my price book, the BOGOF was usually pretty close to the "regular" sale price for two. So maybe the regular sale price was one for $2 and the BOGOF was 1 for $3.75 and one free.

I have noticed less BOGOF sales tho, now I seem to see buy one and get one for 1 for 50% off.

#6 ·
Yeah, I noticed that with our Albertson's a couple weeks ago......so that is like 1/3 off.........whooppee.......

My Albertson's is so high I VERY SELDOM shop there......and they are close to my house........ridiculous prices.

I have noticed LOTS of limits............and not very many to reach the limit either...........almost any "really good" sale will have a limit.

#17 ·
Interestingly, the Albertsons here (walking distance from my apt) almost always has better sale prices than Safeway and City Market. They often have good loss leader sale prices and I frequently do stock up shopping expeditions there. They usually don't have limits on sale items.

#7 ·
I noticed that before albies closed here all of their bogos were
b2gos. They closed here a year ago. I have also noticed that most stores around here are placing limits on sale items like limit 2 with $20 purchase

#8 ·
are placing limits on sale items like limit 2 with $20 purchase
Safeway did that for awhile........coupon use with $50 purchase (think it was)........they stopped it.........I very SELDOM spend $50 at any store.......let alone at Safeway.

The stores are just trying EVERYTHING they can think of.........a couple of them have recently started running coupons for just three days but it comes out in the 'weekly ad'.........got caught in that with Safeway. Took the items back..........now there is a coupon in this weeks paper.........for the full week!

Why does grocery shopping have to be so complicated to get decent prices??? Sales........coupons..........cards.........BOGO......price matches....reward points...take your own bag and get a discount.....drives me crazy!!

#10 ·
That reminded me of another thing Albertson's is doing and has been doing for a long time.

They do a thing where it is say---10 items for $20.........MUST BUY TEN! All well and good if you need that much JUNK FOOD and boxed dinners or quick items........hate it. They will have a couple 'decent' items and then the rest is just 'stuff' that I don't use. I think ONE TIME I found ten items in the ad that I could use and wanted.

Another one that is just a joke...........Safeway has the "rewards thing" where with a certain number of "points" you get cheaper gas at their pumps. WHAT?????? Where I live it is a JOKE........we don't even have a Safeway that HAS PUMPS here in the valley.......I would have to go way up north to buy their gas that usually isn't any cheaper..........and is often MORE.......than the pumps out in the valley!!!

Albertson's does this too (but at least they have pumps)..........and their gas is ALWAYS more expensive than another gas station just about 1/2 mile away..........do people really do this???

#13 ·
Have noticed store changing their bogos here. My stockpile for personal items is good so I can wait for really good sales. But it does seem that stores are changing their policies and way they give out discounts. Can't help but think all the mega coupon shopping shows has also helped with this.

It just gets frustrating trying to stretch a dollar to get the most out of it. Once you figure out the store policies they change and you are back at square one trying to figure them out again.

#14 ·
Our Safeway has a pump, but my card has NEVER worked at the pump..there is never anyone out there and when I take it back in to the store they say it seems to be working fine...so I just gave up. I even at one point got them to issue me a new card, but it still didn't work. I wonder if it works for anyone!

#19 ·
I think Albertson's is just HORRENDOUS in prices........and I have one about a mile from my house.
Can't remember the last time I was in there.......to shop.........my checking is at the bank there. (US Bank) And their PRODUCE PRICES are usually $1 to $2 higher than even Safeway!!!

Safeway isn't much better but I do go there......maybe once a month or so.......depending on sales....sale are all I ever buy there, as the rest of their prices aren't so great and I won't buy their meat.

#20 ·
I go to 3 stores...Wal Mart, Publix and Aldis but haven't been for a major shop for a long time. I went to Publix about 3 weeks ago with a sale list from the computer and didn't really pay attention to the prices listed. In a hurry and skimmed thru the online circular. This was the first time going with a list and to get anything except milk, bread etc. I posted on another thread..I just walked amazed up and down the aisles and finally got a few things and walked out...list in had. I was in shock. I went back later in the week with revised list and got the better sales and left. Was NOT prepared for the difference between the last time I had major shopped and that time. Since I don't go very often anymore tho every time I go I'm in shock and denial.

Out Albertsons closed a few years ago. I was never inside the doors. Don't know why...just didn't.

#22 ·
Our Albertson's is very expensive too. Occasionally they will have a really good sale on something I use, but since I don't shop there, it takes forever to find things. I just haven't bothered in a very long time. It will all be on sale somewhere else eventually.

I used to shop at Kroger all the time, but it seems that lately their sales, though they haven't been bad, just haven't been for things I use. Now I often drop by Walmart on the way home - they're across the street from my apartment - and pick up a few things, but I don't see that overall their prices are much better than Kroger, and some things are higher.

Not long ago Kroger had there buy x, get x off, but instead of taking it all off, it was split - half off the bill, half on a coupon for a return trip, forcing me to go back to use it. That really annoyed me. It must have annoyed a lot of people, since the last time I was there, it was back to the way it had been.

#23 ·
It will all be on sale somewhere else eventually.
That is the way I feel too.....and since I have a 'decent' stockpile I just watch for the things that are getting low. Right now it is bleach......

I hate when the stores do the cards, rewards, and crap that just takes time and makes shopping more complicated.........it ISN'T going to make me a 'faithful customer'.........so get on with the program!! :ack:

I want the ads like they used to be..........ours ran from Wed. through the following Tues........none of this Friday only......or Thurs only........or weekend only crap. DON'T TELL ME WHEN I HAVE TO SHOP!!!

I returned something to Safeway this week as I realized I didn't get the price I thought....UGH...misread the ad. It was weekend only.........and I was there on Monday. It has to be DARN GOOD SALE for me to fight the crowd on a weekend...........there isn't too much that I need THAT BAD to shop on the weekends!

#24 ·
Since around the 1st of the year, I noticed the change over to BOGO 50% off, but only at Walgreen's and CVS. Our Publix still runs pretty good BOGOs, and they also allow you to combine a store coupon with a mftr coupon, even if it's a local competitor's store coupon. However, their list of competitor's was quite big, but now it's only Target's and Winn Dixie's coupons they'll accept. The good thing though is that Target's has a HUGE bunch of their own coupons, so at least in that area I can still do pretty good. I'm sure all the regular couponners have noticed how lousy the newspaper coups are. It does seem like the on-line printables have gotten better at least. For a while there, my budget was sorely missing the good deals, and it was getting a little scarey.

We had an Albertson's here in Mt. Dora that shut down about 6 months ago. I miss their chicken prices, and it was the best place to get cereal deals for $1 a box or less. Never had to buy 10 items on their $10 for 10 deals as someone else here mentioned having to do, but in truth our's were really no "great shakes" anyway. We had an Aldi about 20 minutes from here. It went almost as fast as it came. I went twice, and was NOT impressed. Did better at Publix's w/BOGOs and matching coups. I guess I'll just have to count what blessings are left out there for me. From the sounds of the replies, I have a feeling it could be alot worse!

Hang in there! Maybe it'll get better.

Theresa :)

#28 ·
When our local store has the 10/$10 deals, we don't have to actually buy ten.
The only store that we have to is Albertson's..........one of many reasons I don't shop there.

I find myself going to the 'big chains' less and less and it is mainly due to how complicated they try to make the system..........let alone that our smaller chain stores will have much better prices on produce and that is what I buy the most of anyway. I don't buy any of the big chains meats or dairy.

#26 ·
Actually, for us there are two kinds of 10 for etc. With one, a straight 10 for $10 or whatever, you don't have to buy ten. If it's buy ten mix or match, you do have to buy ten from the list to get the discount, but they don't all have to be the same thing.

I think the most nightmarish shopping trip ever was when Kroger was running the two kinds at the same time. I had a list of 10 for $10 items, and a list of items that I could buy in any combination in groups of ten. It was a chaotic keeping tabs on it. It was like planning a military campaign, and I needed to separate it in the basket to keep the counts straight. Shelf tags were "buy 10" signage, and I had to keep going back to the ad to see which sale group it was part of. That was the one time I took time to complain about something.

The main problem I have with the mix and match type is that I plan it all nicely before I go - 4 of this, 3 of that, 3 of something else. I get there, get the 4, get the 3, then there are only 2 of the other. So then I have to figure what extra thing to get and it's ALWAYS on the far side of the store - or so it seems. A real pain. I try to shop those sales late after work on Friday night. They're stocking for Saturday, so it minimizes that problem.

#29 ·
BOGOF deals are still alive and well here. Heck, I'm even getting BOGOF deals on clothing (when I can actually afford it, that is). I think a lot of things have really influenced retailers to tighten their belts.

#31 ·
Walgreens is doing a lot of this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.