Frugal Village Forums banner

Need some advice

Tags
advice
1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  BlissMommy 
#1 ·
Well, it was inevitable. I got laid off of a decent job, spent months looking, found nothing, and finally took the $8.00 an hour job because it beats zero. However, it was such a pay cut that I am now staring at a 14 day "pay or quit" notice. I don't make nearly enough to get us out of this no matter how much I cut.

I will sell most of my furniture. I am currently looking at an older trailer that I can just barely pull off paying for with some furniture sales, but it will at least give us a roof over our heads. I have absolutely no family support. Both parents and my sister are gone. The rest don't care about anything but themselves no matter what the circumstances. (Well proven)

The problem is a few pieces of furniture that I just cannot part with. My grandmother's hope chest (heavy!). My Mom's solid maple china cabinet. And one octagon shapes maple table. All heirloom pieces. They will not fit in the trailer, and I sure can't afford storage. So what do I do with them?

Ideas? Suggestions? Help? Already so heart broken, I cannot let these few pieces, all I have left of my parents, go!

Thank you!

Janie

See less See more
#2 ·
do you have any friends that could store them for you?? what if you bartered with them?? is there some service you could provide for them that would be equiv. to your storage "fee"??

that's a tough situation. no way you could MAKE them fit into the trailer?? for instance the table that im typing this at is really a vintage parlour table that we didnt have space for, so for the time being i sold my computer desk and am using this. it's not ideal, but i wasn't giving this table up!!

also, i have family that cleans offices at night or on the weekends for extra cash. it doesnt seem to be too difficult - all the supplies are provided and it doesnt take them much time - any chance something like this might be available where you are?

my grandmother always said "tough times dont last - tough people do..." hang in there!! :)

#4 ·
I'm sorry for your situation. I found myself in a similar bind last summer - my husband was laid off and my job looked to be in jeopardy too. I am still a student, so my job wouldn't have been enough to support the both of us anyway. We had to move out of our apartment, put what we couldn't afford to replace in storage (we got rid of most), and live with family (not an option for you). He found a job and the situation has righted itself, though I am still teaching out of town and living with family part time. What I've come to realize is that the stuff that makes a house a home, your bed and dresser and tables etc, really matter and really don't. They matter for your own comfort and security, but, when times get tough, they aren't what support you or pull you through. You need to put yourself before the concerns of your furniture. You can do it, and your parents will understand if their hutch goes to a new home.

Honestly, in your position, my first impulse would be to see if any of the pieces that you have are worth a sum of money. Most furniture isn't, and if yours really isn't, then maybe think about whether you can store it with a friend or can negotiate your living space. If it is, I would sell it and use the money to make your life better now as you pull through. And be comforted in the security that they provided you in a difficult time. Best of luck.

#5 ·
Unfortunately all of my friends are in apartments or tiny condos with no basements and can barely fit their own stuff. Here in New England, Garages are rare! Actually, one of my best friends if being foreclosed on and has his own mess to deal with! :-(

Believe me, I have thought how to stuff them into the trailer, but I also have to consider towing weight. If I have to come up with more of a truck to pull them, then I might as well have paid for storage! I might - maybe - be able to get the hope chest in. No hope for the china cabinet!

I am just so frustrated. Geez, what else is left to take away from me?? I wish I had a husband to share this burden with. Mine (of 16 years) decided he "didn't want the responsibility of a family anymore" and left 4 years ago. My DD and I are totally on our own.

#6 ·
When you say trailer are you talking mobile home or camper trailer? I'd think you could squeeze them somehow in a mobile home if you love them. When we lived in an apartment years ago and my folk were moving out of state something had to be done with my monster piano they had been storing. We found someone willing to take it and sign a contract it would be returned upon request however they had full use of it. It ended up being the guy who sold my folks home. Any chance of something like that?

#7 ·
Can you afford to ship some other stuff ahead of the move, thus freeing up space in the trailer?

Can you call around for pricing of moving just those items?

Put an ad in Craig's list asking for someone to deliver them for you for a small fee?

#8 ·
Sorry, I have been off line for a while.

After some serious begging, pleading, groveling, and offering to pay, my former brother in law has agreed to let me store a few things with him - on the other side of the country, but where I will end up after I get the money to make the move. Now, if I can find someone going that way... Thank you for the idea, krb, and everyone else!

I don't suppose he'd want to store my 14 year old daughter too... :fdance:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.