Frugal Village Forums banner

Aren't groc. prices high enough???

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  kimmy4433 
#1 ·
And now the stupid companies can't even give us what we are paying for? This just frosted my ------

And they get a mere SLAP ON THE WRIST!!

Wisconsin Fines Kraft for Short-Weighting Packages

Few years ago......Safeway got busted for re-wrapping/re-dating meat.

Fred Meyer got busted for short weighing in their meat dept, not far after the Safeway bust......and as I recall THEY both got a mere slap on the wrist too.

Then all the recalls..........being a consumer isn't fun!

#2 ·
Oscar Meyer hot dogs were $5.30 at the store this week, and now I find I'm not even getting the weight stated on the package? Amazing....

DH about fell over when I told him the current price. He'd been eating my stockpile thinking they were "cheap snacks".

#3 ·
Uggghhh..I don't like it, but accpet rising prices as gas prices go up, but companies shouldn't act dishonestly....and dang, Kraft makes a lot of products we use!

#9 ·
Makes you want to go weigh everything before you buy it :lol:
I DO weigh a lot of the 'packaged' produce......and with packaging, it MUST weigh more than posted on pkg. I have put a few back!!

It just gets to me........with EVERYONE struggling, the big companies are ripping us off for that 'almighty bottom line'.........gotta pay the stock holders........and the CEO's!!!

NO ONE will convince me they did not know about this.......and then they get some tiny little fine!! That is nothing to them!!

#7 ·
Did the article tell how much off the weight was? Curious, wrong is wrong but I was curious. May have missed it tho I read it twice.

Yeah, price of hot dogs is horrible. It's not longer a "cheap" food. Ranks up there with steak per pound when you consider hot dogs are rarely a pound....more like 12 ounces I believe.

Either way it sucks.

#8 ·
Oh my, had no idea hotdogs cost that much now. What happened to two packages for a dollar in the summer time?

When I order seafood at the grocery store I always tell them less than a pound. Seems to be the only way to get a pound and not more. If I tell them a pound they always give me more than a pound and wreck my grocery budget.

#10 ·
Hi, I've been on here before, years ago, but not too much. I'm Melinda. I got a pkg. of hot dogs (jumbo!) for a DOLLAR yesterday. I didn't even think about getting more and freezing them, duh! They aren't very healthy for you though so I don't feel too bad! Also, I just put 5 lbs. of potatoes on to boil for potato salad. I should have weighed the package~ I swear it was not 5#!

#11 ·
I occasionally get Oscar Meyer hot dogs on sale for around 1.50. I agree they aren't very healthy, but sometimes you just gotta have a hot dog! We'll probably see more sales around summer holidays. If any pop up for Memorial Day, I'll stick a few in the freezer.

ETA: did it say it was hot dogs that were short weighted? OM makes a lot of things.

OK- found my own answer. It was light beef franks, roast beef and roasted turkey breast. The franks averaged 8% underweight, the beef 13%. This was found in 24 packages.

#12 ·
I agree they aren't very healthy, but sometimes you just gotta have a hot dog! .
Oh, how I agree with THAT dcomp. I have gotten TOTALLY OFF the lunch meat...........but just can't kick the hot dog habit!! Sometimes.......

I do MUCH BETTER now that I have also let my Costco membership expire...........had to have one of theirs when I went in.........so good!! And the price is great.........it is german sausage and drink for me, for $1.50!!

I don't buy OM........

#13 ·
If I'm going to blow off good eating habits for a hot dog, it has to be the good ones. One of our local groceries makes a skin-on wiener that snaps when you bite into it, and that's the only ones I'll buy. It's gotta be the good stuff if it's gonna be the bad stuff! :D

#15 ·
It's gotta be the good stuff if it's gonna be the bad stuff! :D
:laugh: Know what you mean, SD.

I do like the kosher ones.......and see they are on sale this week. Also, see that one store has started carrying one that doesn't have nitrites/nitrates.............not cheap, but going to HAVE to try that one.

I think, with me, this will be one habit that just NEVER gets broken..........though I have cut back quite a bit. I LIKE HOT DOGS!! And with a whole wheat bun, COMPLETELY BUTTERED, and put under the broiler, or on the grill...............YUM!!!

#14 ·
I have been known to weigh the bags of onions, oranges, etc., in the produce dept. to get the best one.

A friend mixes his coffee half regular and half decaf - he was using a scale to do it very precisely and found out he had been shorted. He wrote to the company and they sent him a very generous replacement supply. Always pays to complain!!!

#16 ·
We almost never buy hot dogs, but there are other bad things we drag home against my better judgment. Sometimes you just gotta have the bad stuff.

I've always intended to make a Chicago dog but haven't gotten that far yet.

#17 ·
there are other bad things we drag home against my better judgment. Sometimes you just gotta have the bad stuff.

I can ONLY correct one of my bad habits.........AT A TIME!!! :laugh:

Think I got the MSG thing 'sort of' down.........have been working on the nitrates and nitrites thing---EXCLUDING HOT DOGS!-----the soda with popcorn will NEVER get corrected.......nor will the hot dog thing.......will worry about the others when they reach a higher priority. CANDY is another one that won't get corrected COMPLETELY..........but have been almost priced out of the market, as it stands now!!

#18 ·
I've implemented the Rule of One when it comes to the bad stuff. We use to buy close-out candy by the sackful and freeze it, but now we only buy one bag each instead. It works much better that way. We do that with all snacks, for the most part.

My diet buddy challenged me to give up flour and sugar for this week, and I'm probably going to continue to stay away from sugar at least for a few weeks. I'm going to implement the Rule of One for sugary snacks at home, too. So I can have one sugared snack per day starting next Tuesday, and then it can only be a 100-calorie snack. That should help me a lot!

As for the nitrates, I don't care about hot dogs, but I won't give up bacon. We do use it more like a condiment these days though.

I scored eleven pounds of close-out lean hamburger today for $2.39/pound! Not the tube kind, the good kind. It's regularly $3.60/pound so I'm happy. I've been waiting for a few weeks now to be the lucky one to get one, and I almost missed it. Yea! I think I'm completely out of the browned hamburger I had in the freezer, so this is good timing. I'll make some hamburger patties, too.

#20 ·
WTG--MTTB...........that is a good price. I saw some on sale for close to a buck this week..........but they weren't the brand I buy. For the lousy food that they are...........I am picky! :laugh: Like SD said.............I want the GOOD bad stuff!!!

SD..........great buy on hamburger!!! Our 80% stuff is running right at $2.50 a pound.............UGH! And I am getting low........may have to hang on for the fourth of July sales..............they sure haven't happened for Mem. Day!!!

#21 ·
One of our local stores puts out these giant packages of hamburger deeply discounted because it's about to be outdated. The time they do that is random and so are the number of packages. I've never seen more than about three packages at once. And they set them out wherever there's room in the meat case, so we can't just look in one place to see if there's any that day or not. It's VERY hit or miss. They must have just put out that package before we got it because I can't imagine it would have been there long with all the tourists and summer people here this week gearing up for the big holiday. So it was just dumb luck we happened to get that package. It was the only package there, so I was excited to see it.

I might have to clean up my grill. :)

#22 ·
Bought the 'no nitrite - no nitrate' hot dogs today............and am sure my heart will recover from the price.........well..........already KNEW the price but didn't know I would ONLY GET FOUR HOT DOGS in the pack!! :thud: Okay......fat ones...........but still............:ack:

So.........like them or not............I won't be buying them again!!! But wanted to see if I would like them...........maybe have to check at Trader Joe's to see if they carry them. (that is where I found my lunch meat) The store that had them is an expensive store anyway..........seldom shop there.

#23 ·
One of our local stores had Ball Parks on sale for $0.97 a pack. I bought 5 packs to have on hand for the 4th. Most of the time I pay $2.99 for Dearborn Franks. They are more pricey, but taste better and don't upset my stomach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.