Frugal Village Forums banner

Reinspired and renewing my commitment to FRUGAL living!

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  frugal is fun 
#1 ·
Ok...so the year is almost half over and I'm still a long way from my goals. Additionally, the clutter in our home (we live in a 2 BR apartment with almost NO storage space) is driving me CRAZY. We're looking for a home to buy but I need to declutter now, if only to save my sanity.

I know frugal living goes hand-in-hand with a simpler lifestyle so I'm publicly stating my recommitment to living frugally. I'll do my best to get/keep DH on board but even if I have to do it mostly by myself, I will meet my goals!

Now I'm off to reread some more of the past FV posts to continue my reinspiration and get the week off on the right foot.

Who's with me?!?!?!?!

#2 ·
Even though I'm always on a de-cluttering "journey", right now though, I'm not in a good position to committ to anything. Just too many things to get in the way of a "firm" committment. But I did want to tell you anyway, that I admire what you're doing and look forward to reading all about your progress. I'm sure it'll help to inspire (kick me in the butt :)) me....lol!

Keep us posted!

Theresa :)

#3 ·
I am working over this year to get things off my "to do" list and clutter is one of them. We are even getting down to "clutter" from weeds in the flower beds! We are very busy this summer already trying to get our home straightened out. We have let things go for WAY too long!

#4 ·
~Oh yeah, I always get motivated this time of year. Or rather, I know I need to be motivated so I read up on frugal and financial stuff again, make plans and run numbers and just try to get myself back on track. Just knowing half the year is almost over gets me rolling toward accomplishing some of my goals.
I'm with you A2BF!~

#5 ·
I am in since moving to a small one bed room apt.i have given away thew away and still have to much have some going take to my daughter she having a yard sale and i have got go through more clothes they are good clothes but shrunk in my closet.HaHa If you believe that i have some ocean front property to sell you here in AR.

#6 ·
I would love to join you on this! We have many changes coming up this month in our house and decluttering is one of them. I am getting rid of whatever isn't used regularly. I just have too much stuff right now. Paper is my main challenge this month. How long does everyone keep their household bills for record? Or am I the only person who still keeps them? I know it's what 7 years for tax stuff right?

#7 ·
OK! First update:
I was under the weather yesterday so I didn't get much accomplished except getting the dishes done, supper made and things taken to the library. SO...today I've made EXCELLENT headway.
~ I've gone through three months worth of coupons that were stacked on my kitchen table...clipped the ones I needed and recycled the rest.

~ While going through the pile on my kitchen table, I have thrown away a ton of junk mail that I hadn't yet gone through. Off to the recycling center it goes!

~ I've put away a pile of clothes that was just waiting for me in the corner of our bedroom.

~ While putting away that pile, I've started identifying some of DH's clothes that he no longer wears...while he makes the final decision to get rid of them, I will have a garbage bag ready to be filled and taken to the thrift shop.

~ Using the FlyLady system to get the house cleaned up. Baby Steps!

~ Have a ton of other things on my "to do" list for today. I won't stop until I get them crossed off!

Reactions: ruderring
#9 ·
When I decluttered (and am still in the process of decluttering) I sold a lot of my *stuff* on ebay. Its working into a pretty large chunk of change, and I kinda feel good about it. While I cant sell everything and do wind up giving some things to the thrift store, it has been good to get at least a little back from my original investment other than use.

#10 ·
Another good day, though I didn't get nearly as much done as I'd hoped. Got DH's paycheck put in the bank and agreed to teach two sections of a college class in the fall (which definitely helps for the long-term financial picture). I've been fighting a horrible cold so I'm pretty wiped out by mid-afternoon which isn't helpful when trying to care for a 3-year old and a 4-month old! Hope tomorrow is more productive!

#11 ·
I'll join in on the decluttering thing! I have been in my house for almost 3 years and there is just stuff everywhere! I want to have friends over this summer so I'm looking at my house with fresh eyes and now I see how much "stuff" I have. I started my kitchen last week, yes I got the christmas mugs up in the attic with the christmas decorations but now I need to go through the shelves and drawers etc. Next up is the living room. I have told my son to start going through his stuff cause if he doesn't I will. Hope to make that happen this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.