Frugal Village Forums banner

Organic/Naturally-raised fresh chicken--worth the price?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Sophiasmama 
#1 ·
I have a friend who is starting to raise and sell chickens. They don't have any antibiotics, hormones, or other nasty stuff and they graze on fresh grass and plants in addition to the grains they require. She's selling them for $3.50 a pound with the average weight being 5-7 pounds.

My first question is: are they worth the price? My initial response is that A.) I know where these chickens are coming from, B.) No nasty stuff going into the bird = no nasty stuff going into my family members' bodies, C.) I'm supporting a local friend and business.

My next question is: Is $3.50 a pound a good price? I honestly have nothing to compare these to so I have to ask!

Thanks!

#3 ·
Me either...well...I pay $1.99 for boneless skinless breasts. I know health is an issue but dang...a 7 lb chicken would be $24.50. No way would I pay that for drumsticks or any other part of the chicken, even the breast. One chicken would be 1/3 of a weeks groceries and taxables.

I won't pay for organic either. Don't blast me but I think it's entirely over rated. They are making a fortune off claiming organic. Not getting into an argument over it tho. Just my beliefs.

Reactions: Spirit Deer
#4 ·
I mostly buy organic milk, eggs, and meat. For me it is worth it because I care about ethically treating animals and the environment. Both my adult children made the decision to become vegetarian for similar reasons. We do spend more on groceries than many people. For my family it is a priority.

Considering the price, it is a bit high but not unreasonable. There is a lot to be said for knowing exactly where it came from and the condition the animals were raised in. If you treat meat like a condiment instead of the main part of the meal, or don't have it everyday the impact should not be too big. Let your concience and your budget be your guide when making this decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.