Frugal Village Forums banner

Just restarting my frugal lifestyle

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  msvickeyz 
#1 ·
I am starting to truly realize that to live the life I want I need to learn to be debt free. I am tired of living paycheck to paycheck. I am sure nothing I am saying is any different from other individuals who come to frugal village. I've been on and off here at FV for close to six or seven years. I think the difference for me now is I really have to rely on myself and I have seen how the economy has ravaged so many people I know. Then I see how successful a lot of other people are being and I see how they are doing it. I am wanting to follow suit. So, today was all about making some small changes to begin changing things for the long term. I guess I should set a challenge for myself next.

#2 ·
Way to go! Will be looking forward to reading of the challenges you set for yourself and your accomplishments.

#3 ·
I commend you for this choice! It is empowerment!

I'm starting my Overeaters Anonymous reading/meetings to help me end emotional/compulsive eating. Chronic health problem isn't helped by my eating. It fact, it makes me more miserable when I put on a lot of weight, have to carry it around and still function. This also keeps me from taking what jobs are available in my neighborhood - retail and service. This has become a survival issue for me. It's damaging financially to eat out often as well as hit the gas station too frequently for food fixes. It's damaging to my health also. I suggest you look into support groups or self help books if you find you're coping with problems by spending.

#6 ·
Thank you, everyone, for the positive thoughts and encouragement. I had something neat occur in class last week. I am taking a class on addictions, it's one of the last classes in my master's program. Our instructor asked each of us in the class to give something up for the six week duration of the class. So, I chose to give up shopping. YIKES! I'm almost done with week one and it hasn't been as difficult as I thought it would be. Still have five weeks to go. It just happened at the ideal time.

#8 ·
It was hard at first but now I enjoy being frugal. Then if I want to go out and spend my money on something ridiculous I can. Lol! I try not to do that but it's there now if I do want to. Keep us posted on your journey

#10 ·
Actually had a no spend today and signed up with a debt counseling center to start working on the pile of bills I have left over from my divorce. I am feeling positive for the first time in awhile. I am working on getting some things paid off and it feels good.

#11 ·
I have been in the same boat. I have been on and off here for the last several years myself. I need to get myself back on the wagon. There is so mush that my dbf and I want to do in the next year that we haven't really done and want to do. Good luck with your journey.

#12 ·
You can do it...but it will take lots and lots of WORK!!
I am so glad that I made the decision to become debt free...it has definitely been liberating....but it took alot of work...

#15 ·
You can do this!
I was in a similar boat, got divorced, first time in my life I was solely financially dependent on myself! Whoa was that a scary thought! Four years later, the only debt I have is my house and my car and I plan to pay my car off early. I'm not quite where I want to be with my EF but its growing.

I hope to have one more "hard" year and then re-evaluate where I am financially, where I want to be and if my goals need adjusting. I've been living like I'm poor for the past four years to set myself up to be able to survive a job loss and to have a financially secure future.

If I could do it, you could do it! But I didn't do it alone. I had a Village helping me along the way!;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.