Frugal Village Forums banner

Stock up prices

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Zhoen 
#1 ·
As I am working on increasing my stockpile I was wondering what your stock up prices are (given that prices do vary do to location) :)

So what price do these items have to get to before you see it as a stockpile price?

* toothbrush
* toothpaste
* shampoo
* toliet paper
* cheese
* canned soup
* cereal
* flour
* pasta
* pasta sauce
* peanut butter
* canned beans
* rice (per #)
* yogurt cups
* chocolate chips
* salad dressing
* canned tomatos
* tuna

See less See more
#2 ·
Here are mine :)

* toothbrush free to .25 each
* toothpaste free
* shampoo free to .50 if it's a brand we really like
* toliet paper ?
* cheese I try to get the 2# blocks for $3.99 max
* canned soup $.50
* cereal $.75-$1.00
* flour ?
* pasta .75 for Barilla, .50 or less for any other brand
* pasta sauce .75 or less
* peanut butter $2.00 for Skippy Natural
* canned beans usually buy dry but .50 or less?[/COLOR]
* rice (per #) ?
* yogurt cups .39 or less
* chocolate chips $1.25 per bag, Nestles
* salad dressing $1.00
* canned tomatos .50
* tuna
.75 for albacore

#6 ·
i have to finally get out of the mindframe of the old prices. i was holding out on some things....saying i am NOT paying that. well, those prices are NEVER coming back!! for instance i used to get sirloin strip steak here for either 2.99 or 3.99 lb on sale. i haven't bought any since the price on that is around 6.99 or 7.99 lb. i have been watching as i really wanted it. i compare 4 sales flyers each week for the sales. well, with the price of beef and EVERYTHING going up...i finally stocked up on it this past week at 4.99 lb. grrrr! whatchagonnado? i really need beef in the freezer, hamburg, stew meat, roasts.....keeping my eye out for some decent prices before the big surge.

#7 ·
I know what you mean. I was guessing those prices off the top of my head as what would be my "buy as many as I can to stockpile" price. I am also struggling to figure out what a good price is anymore. It seems that the old regular price is now a "sale" price.

#8 ·
you know i kept saying to my dh, is that the cheapest i can get it?? what if i stock up and find it cheaper in a few weeks? well, he did go in two other stores just to check out their steak prices before he went to the 3rd store to purchase it. one store was 6.99 and one was 7.99. so i know i did the best i could for the week. we bought 7 3 lb. pgs. so about 21 lbs. about 100 bucks. if it goes cheaper you will hear me screaming in massachusetts.....lol brennasmom, i don't know what state you are in .....but believe me you will hear me.......lol

#10 ·
I have gotten some of these prices in the not so recent past.

Let's see these are the ones I know I have seen lately:

Barilla pasta .75
2# block cheddar $3.99 (last week)
toothbrushes @ safeway this week for free
toothpast for .24 at Rite aid (this week)
got skippy naturals today for $2.11

Rosey, I am in Wa state.... you better holler LOUD :lol:

#11 ·
So what price do these items have to get to before you see it as a stockpile price?

* shampoo---------I only buy certain brands.......so when they are from $2 to $3 per bottle.......but stocked up and haven't purchased lately.
* toliet paper--------this is a KILLER...........used to be $5............now I don't even know!! And if they would quit cutting the # of squares it would be nice!!
* cheese--------$2 a pound...........and it is there NOW!
* canned soup---------only buy a couple kinds---50 cents a can........and it goes on a better sale close to TG. and Xmas......
* cereal-------don't use much........haven't bought any in a long time. I'm stocked!
* flour--------this will go on a decent sale around TG............usually!
* pasta------just bought some today with a limit of 4.......78 cents for 16 oz. bag------most any shape available. (last time I stocked it was 79)
* pasta sauce--------------don't buy it............can my own.
* peanut butter-------been a long time since I had to buy any..........stocked up last year.
* canned beans------I buy the flavored S & W.........am HOPING for 59 cents a can........but would even be okay with 69!!
* rice (per #)
* yogurt cups------------just bought some today.......limit 8.........22 cents!! :fdance:
* chocolate chips------a good sale could happen closer to TG...........I stock up then so I don't have to buy during the rest of the year.
* salad dressing---don't buy it..........make it with a mix.
* canned tomatos----can my own
* tuna----the best I have seen the albacore is 98 cents ---5 ozs.
Since we are in the same state brmom...............this is about what I do. But........I don't have to buy for a family.....and I have my stockpile going........and have had it going for years...........so I can go MONTHS and not have to buy some things. The killer is the TP...........and I am getting low on beans so will be watching for those prices...........I like to have quite a few beans going into winter...........for soup.

Other things I do...........if you see that they are changing the packaging on something..........watch for sales.........also stock up LOTS on baking goods during the TGiving and Xmas sales............that is usually when the flour, choc chips, etc. will go on sale. Also..........canned yams and some of the 'holiday type' food..........

When I noticed that they were dropping the ounces on the toothpaste tube I stocked up............LOTS. Don't even know what a decent price is now...:laugh:........my tubes are all 8 ounces!!!

I am HOPING the canned beans might drop in price when the "harvest" is done.......or end of summer. Also mandarin oranges------trying to hold out for 50 cents a can on oranges............but we shall see. Think the beans might look good at 69 cents---if they get there........and would DIVE on .59!!

#12 ·
As I am working on increasing my stockpile I was wondering what your stock up prices are (given that prices do vary do to location) :)

* toothbrush - .50
* toothpaste - .80 @ DG on coupon day
* shampoo - Only use Pantene - $1.50? (NEVER see that one)
* toliet paper - .80 @ DG on coupon day (generic - 6 to a pack) Dh & I don't care about fancy TP
* cheese - $1.25
* canned soup - refuse to buy anymore- making my own (ok, .25 would get me)
* cereal - $1.00 @ Big Lots clearance rack for Kashi & Cascadian Farms (the only ones we eat)
* flour - .59 Aldi's last week
* pasta - .80 (16 oz) @ DG on coupon day
* pasta sauce - Making my own these days (.50 can for Hunt's would reel me in)
* peanut butter - Buying off internet all natural - $12 for 5 gallon tub (Smuckers would get me @ $2.00 jar)
* canned beans - under 45 can
* rice (per #) buying from a rest supply house @ 50lbs a pop (brown only)
* yogurt cups - .39 is a sale price around here
* chocolate chips - don't use 'em
* salad dressing - .80 for Dh's ranch @ DG on coupon day (I only use basalmic vinegar)
* canned tomatos - canning my own from the garden (.30 a can would catch my attention)
* tuna - bought 50 cans last year @ .39 can - still have 30 (.49 would get me more)

#13 ·

* toothbrush - .50
* toothpaste - .80 @ DG on coupon day
* shampoo - Only use Pantene - $1.50? (NEVER see that one)
* toliet paper - .80 @ DG on coupon day (generic - 6 to a pack) Dh & I don't care about fancy TP
* cheese - $1.25
* canned soup - refuse to buy anymore- making my own (ok, .25 would get me)
* cereal - $1.00 @ Big Lots clearance rack for Kashi & Cascadian Farms (the only ones we eat)
* flour - .59 Aldi's last week
* pasta - .80 (16 oz) @ DG on coupon day
* pasta sauce - Making my own these days (.50 can for Hunt's would reel me in)
* peanut butter - Buying off internet all natural - $12 for 5 gallon tub (Smuckers would get me @ $2.00 jar)
* canned beans - under 45 can
* rice (per #) buying from a rest supply house @ 50lbs a pop (brown only)
* yogurt cups - .39 is a sale price around here
* chocolate chips - don't use 'em
* salad dressing - .80 for Dh's ranch @ DG on coupon day (I only use basalmic vinegar)
* canned tomatos - canning my own from the garden (.30 a can would catch my attention)
* tuna - bought 50 cans last year @ .39 can - still have 30 (.49 would get me more)
Even though I am growing tomatoes in my garden - yesterday I brought home some tomatoes from the reduced rack - they worked out to be .20 a lb... (just 3 lbs worth) - but I felt it was worth it....

#14 ·
Start watching for meat prices to drop a bit in the coming weeks. Ranchers are starting to send their cattle and hogs to slaughter because of the drought but it will take a few weeks for them to get in the pipeline. When they do prices will drop with the influx of meat but once it's gone, it's gone and prices will skyrocket. We just stocked our freezers with a bunch of meat but I left a little room for more ground chuck. Now I'm just waiting.:whistle:

#15 ·
Right now dental floss will be on sale for 49 cents. I plan on purchasing 8 of them hopefully in two different flavors. Toothpaste is also 88 cents. So will buy 4 of them as long as the exp dates are good. I figure if I can get two years worth of items then it will be worth it. Also they are small so if I move will be easy to take with me.

#16 ·
* toothbrush- I pay 1.00 them at Dollar General. My mom also sends them here a lot

* toothpaste-My mom keeps us stocked up on this. She gets it for .25-free. I will stock up if it's under 1.00 and I need it

* shampoo- We have a store that runs Suave or White Rain for .59-.89 at times. I stock up at those prices when I need to re-stock. I use it in the liquid hand soap bottles in the bathroom too.

* toliet paper- 3.99 for 12 double rolls is the price I like to stock up but will also do 4.99

* cheese- Slices at .99 for 16, cheddar blocks at 2.99 a pound

* canned soup- tomato or chicken noodle at 3/1.00, cream soups at .49 when Kroger has a great deal. If I need it I will stock up at a sale under 1.00 too

* cereal- again my mom the coupon queen keeps us stocked on this. I rarely buy a box

* flour- I usually buy it in 25 pound bags at Kroger for around 16.00 and store it in the freezer

* pasta-.50 for 1 pound.

* pasta sauce- I only like Ragu. I like to find it at 1.00 or under. But I will stock up if it's 1.50 or under and I need it
* peanut butter- 2.00 or under but don't know if we will ever see it that price again

* canned beans- depending on what kind .33 to .89 a can

* rice (per #)- I don't buy much plain rice. I get an off brand box maybe once a year and just buy the cheapest when I need it. I do buy the rice mixes though and try to get them under 1.00 a box

* yogurt cups- I don't really stockpile these. I will buy 12 or so at times when they are 3/1.00. I usually get the big tubs because it's cheaper

* chocolate chips-I buy mini chips at a little local deli/baking supply place here. I pay 3.69 a pound for them. I just like them better. However I will buy bags of regular ones when they are on sale, not sure what I pay it's been so long since I bought any lol. I think it was 1.79 a bag

* salad dressing- 1.00 a bottle for off brand ranch. If I want French I buy Kraft brand and it's more expensive. I got a couple of 8oz bottles of it for 1.00 each last week. Dh only likes Hidden Valley Tomato Bacon but only eats about 3 a year so I just by it when he needs it.

* canned tomatoes- I got a bunch for .49 each a while back at Kroger and then mom brought me a bunch more. I don't use many of them

* tuna - I've been getting it for .59 a can

#17 ·
Wow, you guys are all way bigger cheapskates than me! (And I say that with all due respect!) :)

I bought 36 cans of no salt added Walmart brand diced tomatoes yesterday at the Hibbing, MN, Walmart for .68/can. That seemed like an okay price to me, considering. We can't get no salt added stuff very much here and it's always higher than regular if we can. (WM had the same price for the salty version.) We'll probably be set for a year with that purchase, with what I have from a truckload sale here in town last year.

Also bought four boxes of their house brand Triscuit knock-offs for $1.50/box. Those will go in the freezer for traveling so will last us a while. They're good with cheese even if that combo does have more salt than I'd like. It's a handy snack to eat on the road.

I bought a gallon of milk for $3.29. Why I didn't buy more, I don't know, because milk locally is almost $5/gallon and I had a nearly empty but still cold cooler sitting right there in the truck that would have easily held six gallons. Duh. All I can say is it was the last day of vacation and I was tired so not as fast on the uptake as I should have been. Oh, well.

None of those were sale prices.

For stocking up, I don't have a set price because there's no guarantee here that things will get very low in price. If I find stuff on a close-out, I'll buy a bunch if it would store well, but otherwise I just buy from the regular ads.

#18 ·
* toothbrush- under a dollar but preferably free
* toothpaste- under a dollar but preferably free
* shampoo - free to 50 cents
* toliet paper not sure!
* cheese 2.00 a lb or better
* canned soup don't buy, can my own. But cream of whatever I try to get 2/$1
* cereal under $2 a box
* flour buy in 25 lb bag for 8 bucks
* pasta 99 cents or better
* pasta sauce under a dollar a jar
* peanut butter not sure really
* canned beans 99 cents or better
* rice (per #) not sure!!
* yogurt cups I buy the big thing of yogurt and like it under $2
* chocolate chips under 2 bucks a lb
* salad dressing don't buy a lot of this...a buck?
* canned tomatos 2/$1 but I guess now under 99 cents would be great.
* tuna buck or less a can (buy I buy the bigger cans)

#19 ·

* toothbrush-.99 cents a brush
* toothpaste-1.50 for 100ml tube
* shampoo-Suave for $2.00 a bottle
* toliet paper-40 DR for 16.97
* cheese-800 grams for 7.98
* canned soup-.50 cents a can
* cereal-3.99 a box
* flour-5.28 for 11lbs
* pasta- 3lbs for 2.00
* pasta sauce-.99 cents a 700ml can
* peanut butter- 5.99 a jar
* canned beans-.99 a can
* rice (per #).50 cents /lb
* yogurt cups- 12 portions for 4.99
* chocolate chips- 2.59 for 400grams
* salad dressing-.99 for Kraft 250ml
* canned tomatos- .99 a can
* tuna[/QUOTE]- 1.79/can

These are rock bottle sales in my area.

#21 ·
b
* toothbrush-- would have to be "free" because I can get 6/$1 in a holder at DollarTree any day of the week... they're nothing special but my kids lose them constantly...
* toothpaste-- we have a brand preference, so >$2
* shampoo--Aussie >$2 (for me and the kids), Head and shoulders (DH)>$5 for a big bottle, Bath and Body Works only during the semiannual sales, then I load up.
* toliet paper-- don't know, kind of a buy-as-needed thing for us
* cheese <$2/#, which we don't see very often so we buy as needed. It has a way of getting gobbled around here, so stocking up only works if I hide it in the freezer
* canned soup 2/$1 would be a stock up price, but haven't seen that in a long time, so buy as needed and cook my own.
* cereal we use a lot of generics, so $1.05 (which happens once in a great while when the $2.10 Ralston brand goes bogo...) is my stock-up price. Actually, certain varieties are $1.49 at the moment, but my storage area is limited, and $.60/box savings is not enough to impress me.
* flour Don't know, have some stockpiled and haven't bought in a while
* pasta $.50 --doesn't happen often, but that would me my stock-up price
* pasta sauce- I found the canned type (delmonte?) for $.50/can about 2 months ago and literally cleared the shelf. I'm good for spaghetti Wednesdays for the rest of the year. (Dates weren't close or anything) This brand is usually $1.19-$1.49 around here, though can be found at Dollar Tree for a dollar (of course)
* peanut butter Not something I "stock up" on, gets gobbled if I do
* canned beans mostly use dried (make up a bunch and freeze them for convenience)-- We do like Bush's baked beans, so >$1/can for those, but the shelf is alwasy cleared when that happens.
* rice (per #) still working through the last giant bag I bought
* yogurt cups wouldn't stockpile these no matter the price, again with the gobbling...
* chocolate chips and the gobblers again
* salad dressing >$1/bottle if it was a brand we actually would use
* canned tomatoes$.50/can I would stockpile, otherwise buy as needed.
* tuna $.50/can/packet, but I've got a pretty good stash right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.