Frugal Village Forums banner

I need help putting this together!!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CookieLee 
#1 ·
I recently joined our church youth group leadership. Amazing fun and cheap!

Now, I am in charge of putting together snacks for the kids this weekend. It is expected to have high attendance, 50 to 60 teens. I have a budget to stay within.

I can work with that, I would normally bake for something like this, but I am out of town as of tomorrow morning until late Sunday afternoon, and I need to be at the church by 5 to set up.

What are some inexpensive ideas? I could do a *little* baking today, but I'd have to freeze it, and pray it's defrosted in time! Not sure I want to take the chance on that.

I don't have access to cooking facilities at the church, it needs to be ready to be set out, no prep time is available as we are out and about with the teens, and when we get back we need to set it out. Tight time frame.

Please I need suggestions!!!!

#3 ·
Cookies and muffins are quick to make, freeze & defrost well. The Costco idea for muffins - cut them into 4's (they're jumbo to start)

Chips & dip/salsa - open and put into serving dishes

Popcorn - home popped hot air popcorn - cheap & easy

Veggies w/dips - you could buy precut/washed, open & serve. The dip you can make at home and let it set in the fridge for a few days to really get a bold flavour

Cream cheese bagels - make untoasted sammies and cut each bagel into 4's

#4 ·
Thanks!!!

I picked up bakery cookies that were on special. I checked flyers, and we have BOGO free on carrots, celery, and I'll add some broccoli.

I decided on corn chips, salsa, and sour cream, salsa is home made and mild :) Made from the garden a little later today.

Drinks I am making a simple punch, with gingerale and frozen juice.

Now I just need to figure out how much I need of the chips and veggies.

I love the bagel idea, however, bagels here are really expensive. And the discount bread store isn't open evenings, I'll keep it in mind to see if it's open when we head out of town tomorrow,

#5 ·
Can you cook up a large pot of eggs for hard-boiled eggs?

One quarter-sheet cake would be very fast to bake and easily feed that many kids. If you make a poke-cake (pour jello or pudding over it) today, then keep it in the frig until you return, it will keep really nice and you frost it at the party site.

I love the popcorn idea. It is messy but kids love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.