Frugal Village Forums banner

Would you buy this or make from scratch?

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  McD 
#1 ·
I have to take pasta for my ds's cross country dinner. Enough pasta to feed 10-12 teenage boys - 3 lbs of dry pasta plus the other ingredients. I am trying to decide if I should make it myself or just buy a pre-made stouffer's lasagna. When I price it out, I think it would cost about the same either way. Which would you do? I have many of the ingredients to make it myself, although I need cheese. I was thinking if I make something, I could do a mexican pasta dish, but I have never made that before and would be winging it. Ideas?

#2 ·
I think I would make it from scratch since you have most of the ingredients. Homemade just plain tastes better. Sorry I have no clue on the Mexican pasta. Would that be a regular red sauce based pasta with some fire roasted tomatoes and hot peppers?I tend to just wing recipes based on what I have on hand.

#3 ·
I usually wing it too. I was thinking for the mexican pasta of the following:

chopped green pepper
chopped onion
ground beef seasoned with taco seasonings
noodles
plain tomato sauce with lots of garlic
cheddar cheese

Does that sound like a mexican pasta dish to you? If I did that I would need to buy a pepper, onion, and cheddar cheese.

They have these dinners every week and usually it is just lasagna and mac & cheese - most of them stouffers - so I was trying to think of something different. Last time I had to brink drinks and I brought OJ instead of the lemonade/gatorade they normally get and my ds said it was a big hit.

#10 ·
I usually wing it too. I was thinking for the mexican pasta of the following:

chopped green pepper
chopped onion
ground beef seasoned with taco seasonings
noodles
plain tomato sauce with lots of garlic
cheddar cheese

Does that sound like a mexican pasta dish to you? If I did that I would need to buy a pepper, onion, and cheddar cheese.
This sounds like a hm Mexican style hamburger helper to me with the bonus of real fresh veggies added in. To me that sounds delish!

What about making plain old spaghetti in tomato sauce with mini meatballs? OR Homeade (Mexican) beefaroni? (meatsauce mixed with elbows) Sometimes simple is better.

#8 ·
I would make it myself, maybe more than one variety. It's easier to stretch ingredients and get more for less out of the same money.

I would also make it with something other than lasagna noodles, just to make it easier to scoop and serve.

#12 ·
I am one of 3 people making pasta, so if kids don't like mine there will be others to choose from. I was going to use either penne or elbox noodles, lasagna can be messy and hard to serve. I think I will go the make my own route and while I am at it, make our dinner as well. I hope it turns out good! Thanks for the tips.

#14 ·
I would make it myself, just because I think it would be healthier. The salt in those frozen things is outrageous. I'd use salsa in place of some of the tomato sauce. Maybe cover the top of the casserole with crushed corn chips. Might even mix in a can of pinto or black beans to "mex" it up a little more.

#15 ·
Well, I was inspired to make a double batch of lasagna for supper and for the freezer. I have several tubs of ricotta I got insanely cheap a while back, and I've never made it with that before. It's pretty good!

Thanks for the idea!

#16 ·
I often vote frozen meal just for the ease, especially if there are tons of other things going on.

I make a taco macaroni that my boys eat the heck out of: elbow noodles (cooked), hamburger (browned), taco seasoning, can of pork & beans, can of tomatoes, can of corn, mexican cheese blend. Mix it all up and let the cheese melt. I usually do 2lbs of mac to 1lb hamburger, 2 cans corn & beans, 1 can of tomato and 2 envelopes of taco seasoning.

#17 ·
Ok, I made it for the cross country team and us. It was delicious! I used 3 lbs of pasta, 1 lb ground beef, 1 green pepper, 1/2 onion, 3 cans of tomato sauce, 2 packets of taco seasoning (could have used more) and a lb of sharp cheddar cheese. Everyone loved it, several moms asked my son for the recipe. It was time consuming, and probably more expensive than store bought stouffer's, but I think it was worth it in the end. I already had many of the ingredients on hand bought on sale, so it worked out. Thanks for all the tips!

#20 ·
I always go for the HM - if nothing else the taste is better, plus less sodium. Love the extra benefit of making extra for at home - a bonus is always a blessing! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.