Frugal Village Forums banner

Getting the urge to stock up

3K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Zhoen 
#1 ·
I have no idea why but I am getting the itch to stock up.

I wish I was seeing some better prices out there. Maybe that is what is making me feel like I need to stock up.

Anyone else feeling this way?

#5 ·
Could be your inner squirrel sensing that it is harvest time... could be all the gloom and doom in the news all the time lately... if it makes you feel better, go for it. Hopefully there will be some good sales soon to make it a little easier for you. All the holiday baking/thanksgiving specials should be starting soon... good luck!

#7 ·
I've had that feeling too. I've started stocking up here and there over the last few weeks--got some good prices on flour, though my mom got an even better deal at her store last week (25 lbs. for just under $7.00!); I've started stocking up on canned tomatoes and beans since we go through a lot of both in the fall and winter; and I've been on the hunt for good prices on TP, butter, meat, etc.

Reactions: brennasmom
#10 ·
Overall, I am pretty well stocked........won't need much to 'make it through' but doesn't mean I won't be watching for some good sales. :laugh: I was 'saved' today when a store had soda on sale.........$1.25 a six pack..........for Squirt, and the others made by same co.........dr. pepper, root beer, etc. I don't drink that much soda but HAVE TO HAVE IT with my popcorn in the winter............and I was down to my last four cans!!! :thud:

I've been on the hunt for good prices on TP, butter, meat, etc.
GOOD LUCK!!! The TP price is just plain crazy high!!! Guess they know we won't go to phone books.............but ....maybe......

Butter usually gets good closer to the holidays.......and last year it was REAL CLOSE to TG before we got any 'decent' prices. We have had a couple sales during the summer.........with a limit.

Our meat will go on sale anytime..........and our pork ---EXCLUDING BACON----continues to go for under $2 a lb when it is on sale. The pork loin was on this week for $1.98.........but they had done a 'bait and switch' and I didn't like the brand they switched it with........was NOT PLEASED!

I am more than ready for the winter produce and couldn't stand it today and bought some oranges from Oz for .88 a lb.

Honey Crisp and Delicious apples were .98 lb but the Pink Lady were $1.47-------won't pay that! Still haven't made it out to our orchards but they usually aren't any cheaper than our stores...........just fresher!! I WANT some Pink Lady and Aurora soooooo bad!!

#8 ·
I got the urge the first of August. I been like a squirrel on the hunt. Calming down lately, but still should put some more stuff up. Just waiting on the bargains.
Did get a neat coupon this past week. Our Aldi's got remodeled and we have a $ 5 off of $ 30 purchase, and $ 10 off of $ 50 purchase. I used the smaller one so far. Good till end of October. I picked up a newspaper from that saturday and cut 2 more coupons out to use for next week. Every little bit counts :)

#9 ·
Have been getting my stockpile ready for the winter. Not having a car makes it more difficult to get around. Only thing I need to purchase for me to feel ready for winter is two large bags of cat food. Already have the other necessities. Feel as if I can relax more when I have certain items on hand that will last through winter. Not that I can't get around but snow, wind, and ice makes it more difficult if I am walking or taking the bus. The older I get the more I am concerned about falling.

#12 ·
I'm in overdrive again with my stockpiling..I do feel the urge as winter is approaching and I know longer have my much loved 4-wheel drive Trailblazer (Kody hit a tree head on totalling it...he was fooling around and lost control of it..he is fine and hopefully he has learnt a good lesson) I will not be driving in the snow if I can help it..I see the prices are rising much faster then I thought..so It is another good reason to stockup on what I can now as to not feel the pinch for awhile..I feel pretty good now that I got my 100lbs of potatoes for the winter..this is one food item that I alway's seem to run out of during the winter months...I will get extra onions also for the winter stockup..I bought 15 lbs of butter for the freezer..I'm canning stew beef,beef stew,chicken breast all the meat is on sale..I surely hope everyone fares well this winter.

#13 ·
Yes, we're stocking up here too, as good deals come up. That seems to be less and less often these days.

IGA has Red Gold canned tomatoes on sale this week, with a buy 10 get $5 off the total, with no limit. That brings them to $0.39 per 15oz can, which is a great price. We bought enough to last close to a year--90 cans for ~$35. They always seem to go on sale this time of year, as the summer tomato crop comes in.

Marsh has pork packages on sale for $0.98/lb, so we bought 30 lbs for the freezer. They also have chuck roast for $2.88/lb, which is a better price than I've seen for quite a while, and the roasts looked really good, so we bought 20 lbs of roast for the freezer.

#14 ·
That is a great price for canned tomatoes. I would stock up too!

We were in need of sliced cheese which was $5.99 for 12 ounces. Oy! I usually buy it at Costco which is a better deal but we ran out (mostly DD and DH who eat it).

No good deals at any stores here this week. Did pick up some pears @ .98/# which was about the only fruit on sale.

I did stock up on some oatmeal last week which is good.

#19 ·
No good deals at any stores here this week. Did pick up some pears @ .98/# which was about the only fruit on sale.

Our apples seems to be getting out there and 'starting' to come down........we shall see.

Checked some orchard prices............50 cents a pound.........but THAT is for 40 pounds!!! :thud: Not happening........goes up to .59 for 30 lbs!!
Doesn't look good!

#15 ·
I live in a Mormon dominate area and the local grocery store has great stock up sales! This week they are having a case lot sale and we stocked up on tomato soup (.50/can), canned mushrooms (.57/can), 25# sugar ($12.50), #10 can of dried whole eggs, #10 can of powdered honey, #10 can of dried milk, 25# whole white wheat to grind, cream of mushroom soup - name brand (.80/can), pepper jack cheese 2.99/lb.

The hamburger was $4.50/lb for the 93% lean.....boy I hope the fiance can get an elk this year so we can still eat meat without having to give up other things we enjoy.

#20 ·
We're stocking up. I notice DH brought a squash home from someone at work. He was wanting to know how much they cost at the store, so he could buy more off them. I didn't know what to tell him. I haven't bought squash for awhile because the prices have been too high. But this is organic, chemical free squash, so it will be expensive. Just don't know. Fresh and good, but expensive. I suspect he's off checking out the price now.

#21 ·
I'm actually trying to work through my stockpile right now. I'm trying to get used to living in the city (I should be getting there, it has been a couple of years), so I don't need to worry quite as much about having a big stock - I could walk to the grocery store if I had to.

I will admit though, I am very excited about getting to do my 'restock' shopping once I finish clearing through the pantry. :)

#22 ·
For me the stocking up is more about getting good prices and keeping my costs as low as I can. I have 2 growing kids who eat thru the stock pretty quick. DH helps with that also :lol:

#23 ·
I'm finding that my boarder eats through the stock pretty fast. And DH has expensive tastes. Plus I have an expensive diet I have to follow. Any time I can find a deal, I go for it! Canning fresh fruit and freezing veggies in the fall is one way to find one.

#25 ·
Please don't be afraid of pressure canning...it is not as scary as you might think....a matter of fact I just pressure canned beef in a wine sauce for the first time this afternoon..I was a little nervous as this was the first time doing a hot pack and not the cold pack this time around..it turned out GREAT! I can tell you I would much rather pressure can than use the waterbath canner...I must be doing something wrong as I've lost at least 5 jars to breakage..however, I 'm not giving up using the waterbath canner..I'm going to perfect it one way or another..

#27 ·
I was ecstatic last week when my store had canned veggies 3/$1. I haven't seen prices that low in a long time. Now I wish I had bought more and found a creative way to store them. :)

Reactions: Spirit Deer
#29 ·
Congrats, that is a GREAT price! And that's coming from someone who shops the "scratch n' dents" sections and the commissary. There was a hawker selling cans of corn last week for $.20 with coupon if you bought in groups of 4, but they were the little cans, so not so impressive, plus I have a bunch of corn in the freezer already...

I have some coupons that could bring my canned veggies down to $.55/can, but I'm holding out to see if they go on sale before the coupons expire on halloween... if not I'll stock up at the last minute, but I'm hoping for a sale that I could "stack" the coupons with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.