Frugal Village Forums banner

We Just Got Ross's

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  AliciaKnits 
#1 ·
Two locations opened up here. I guess they are from Cali.

DH and I went last night and the first thing I said was it looks just like a TJ-Max or Marshalls. The cashier said that is exactly what they are, but only cheaper.

DH bought a leather coat for 30 bucks. (much needed) and a Levi's wallet for 8 bucks. (much needed) I refrained from a Kenneth Cole purse. *very hard*

I didn't even hit the clothes because I was so excited to see the big jars of Yankee candles for 9.99! My house smells wonderful. :)

I'm sure the newness will wear off, but just excited.

Anyone have one, shop there?

#2 ·
I like Ross.................(if I have to shop).............but I like TJ Maxx and Marshalls too..........again, if I have to go.

Haven't been in any of them in a long time. Used to shop TJ Maxx in Calif. all the time!!

They would send me to training close to one---I would draw all my perdiem ahead of time-------then stay at a Motel 6------have extra $ and shop TJ after work!! :laugh:

#3 ·
Lots of Ross stores around here. I've found some better than others but on the whole, I like them. Sort of like a garage sale with new items. I particularly like their housewares stuff. Stores here offer a 10% discount to those over 55 on Tuesdays. I don't like TJ Maxx but Marshall's is good.

#6 ·
We have a Ross here. I got some good things there a few years back but haven't seen anything good the few times I've been in there lately. I recently found out they are putting a TJ Maxx in the same stripmall that Ross is in. I may stop in and check it out someday.

I was on the east coast last month visiting my mom and I looked in a couple TJ Maxx and Marshalls while I was there. I did find a lightweight down coat that I got, but not much else. When I was there visiting my mom several years ago I got a bunch of really nice clothes cheap at TJ Maxx and Marshalls, but it didn't seem as good nowadays.

This year I've gotten so many nice clothes at yard sales that I haven't been shopping retail, or even the thrift stores. I don't even go there to look around.

#8 ·
Ross can be good, although they typically get items that have some sort of minor defect. I didn't realize until I got home that two shirts had off-center logos, while a button-down shirt had a button missing. Not that it mattered much, but it's something to keep an eye out for.

#9 ·
Well, went to Joann Fabrics and there was a Ross near by so went in. Found some packages of different scented body lotion for $3.99. Bought two boxes so my x-mas shopping is finished. Anyone else is getting a giftcard which I can pick up at CVS. Glad I found the lotions and also found two pairs of shoes. Then I stopped walking around since I didn't want to spend anymore money. It has been years since I was in that store.

#10 ·
We had a Ross open up here near us recently as well, about 3 months ago. It is actually in our mall. I went to see what all the hype was about and while I do think most of their prices were decent it was a mess, the layout was poor, and there really wasn't much merchandise in the huge store. Since they had just opened I gave them a couple of months and went back in about two weeks ago. I got the same impression and thought "ALL the thrift stores I shop in are cleaner and better to shop in". Looking into it's big wide doors from the mall it does NOT look like anything else in there. It's like my oldest DS's room compared to the rest of the house, which is why we keep his door closed. :smile:

#11 ·
I have two Ross stores within 5 miles - one north, one south. Both in strip malls. The north store, which is actually in an extremely nice area, is a mess most of the time. Junky, poor inventory. Stuff strewn out in the aisles in the housewares and bedding departments. You really have to pick through things. Sizes are frequently mixed up on the racks.

The south store is much the opposite. A bit junkier looking that your Dillard's or Macy's but not bad at all. Aisles a bit wider it seems, clean looking, stock on shelves or hung appropriately on racks and in the correct size categories for the most part. Surprisingly, that store has never seemed to be as busy as the junky store. Maybe it was just the time of day I shopped?

#12 ·
We have Ross and Marshall's both in the same mall. One month Ross is better...next month Marshall's is better. Overall I guess I like Marshall's better but started off liking Ross's best.
Have them all over Florida and been in a lot of them. A few were dumpy but not many. More cluttered from people just dropping stuff where ever than anything. All were clean as far as clean goes. Was only in TJ Max a couple times in Ohio before we moved. It was ok. Marshall's owns TJ Max.

#16 ·
We just got Marshall's here and after poking around through them, it looks exactly like Winner's to me. Just as expensive if you ask me. I prefer Ross when Im in the US and would consider it to be a lower end version of Marhall's with lower pricing on very similar stock. Never been in a TJ Max.

I wonder if all 3 stores are owned by the same parent company? I was told that both the Winner's & Marshall's are the same company.

#15 ·
These stores get what other stores don't sell. Marshall's even advertises that fact on TV. Pretty girl saying her job is buying up the stuff that the high end stores don't sell and getting it cheap and passing on the savings to YOU! So yeah, it's hit or miss depending on what's selling and not selling in these "high end" stores.

#17 ·
We have several Ross's near us. We have lucked out with our teen girls getting semi-formal dresses at Ross and then selling them at Plato's closet after they we worn to whatever function. Several times Plato's closet gave us more for the dress then what we paid at Ross's for it.

#20 ·
I think its geared more towards those that want to be in the 'now' with the latest fashion trends w/o paying runway prices. A lot of that stuff, say 95% does not interest me but thats just me.

I'll admit, half the fun is digging and rooting around to find your own treasure - when in the mood.

#19 ·
I work for Ross. I agree with some thing... The store cleanliness and "junkieness" is a hit or miss at any store-not just Ross either. We have two stores within 5 min of each other and they are complete opposites of each other. Our store is clean and neat at all times, hardly anything on the floor, bathrooms neat, changing room spotless, go to the other one and it looks like a tornado hit it at times. I think it has to do with, on part, management at each store. Our manager expects VERY HIGH standards, whereas another store not so much. It can be hit or miss with what is being sold on any given day at a Ross, but then again the motto is "Ross is where you can find a new treasure everyday.". Ross gets a shipment in EVERYDAY (except holidays and some other random days) and we do not know what is coming in day to day ourselves. Some stuff is "junk" but some stuff is nicer high end stuff too. I just sold a pair of women's boots on clearance at 15.99, Ross price was 129.99 and "regular department store price" was 298.00. So there really are some good deals if you look. Oh ya and never call and ask if we have something because someone at corporate has decided that we do not look for anything on the sales floor for someone on the phone, they need to come down and check themselves. Please don't take it out on the person answering the phone because we just follow orders. I personally find that is the worst customer service thing Ross could have done. But at least I am employed---if working 3 four hour shifts means employed. Another topic for another day..... Ross is a good place to find great "treasures" and at the same time it can be a nightmare... Good luck in all you find and don't find at Ross!

Reactions: Libby
#21 ·
I just got a job working part time (more like 20 to 30 hours) working at a Ross in a much more expensive town north of Seattle. It's a smaller store, very clean, which is good because than I can help keep it much cleaner than the much busier Ross south of me, in my hometown 45 minutes away. It seems as if the busier the store, the messier it is and the clerks/associates have trouble keeping up. Mine is less busy in that my manager said that if I wanted to stay on after Christmas, I could :) I'm hoping for full-time employment (as in, non-retail office job) to utilize my MBA past December, but for a wife who just got laid off a week ago and now has a semi-full-time (if I can at least get 30 hours a week), it's perfect. Plus, cheaper Christmas gifts for our very limited Christmas budget and a better schedule than at Toys R Us, where I was this time last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.