Frugal Village Forums banner

Grocery Prices that are crazy!

3K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  brennasmom 
#1 ·
Stopped by the grocery store today where they were uping all coupons to $1.00.

Here are some of the shelf prices:

Cereal (small size box) $4.29
Nestle Chocolate Chips $3.59
Campbell's Soup $2.29 :thud:
2 liter of soda $1.99

This was hitting the store for just sale items.

Total shelf price of the items I bought was $37.19 I got out for $14.67 with 4 boxes cereal, 2 bags chocolate chips, 6 soups, 2 two liters of soda

#2 ·
That's why we don't buy many name brands. Even with coupons, they're not worth it.

Some ad prices for us this week, no coupons required, no limits:

~baking chips, Gurley's butterscotch, cherry, semi-sweet, or milk chocolate, 10-12 oz., $1.85.
~Hy-Top (house brand) cream soups, 3/$2.
~Shasta pop, 12-pack, 3/$10. (We usually can buy brand-name pop for $2.50/12 if we're patient.)
~Kellogg's kids' cereals, 11-18 oz., $2.49.

I did notice eggs were $2.49/18 again. A week or so ago they were $1.60. But overall that ad has great prices this week.

Walnut halves are $3/5 oz. :( I usually eat a quarter cup for breakfast and I've burned through the cheap hoard I had in the freezer. Not sure what I'll do. I guess it's not a whole lot different than the $8 or $9 a pound I've been paying for almonds lately.

#3 ·
Yeah, it's getting to the point where I can't afford anything at regular retails prices any more.

#5 ·
Spirit Dear ~ have you checked Costco for nuts? I think they might have pretty good prices. Haven't checked in a while though. Or maybe Trader Joe's if you have one close?

#6 ·
If you can hold out, nuts should be going on sale closer to Thanksgiving.

#7 ·
We've just had a Ruler grocery store open in my town. They sell Kroger brand food and a few other brands, depending. Recent prices (which I know is them just trying to get people in the store):

.29/doz eggs
.99/gal milk
.99/lb red grapes
.89/4 lb sugar
.99/10 pounds of potatoes

Those are the real standout prices. Those are all correct too. Cheeeeeap. Let's just say I'm eating lots of potatoes, eggs, and grapes.

#10 ·
WOW! With those prices, it would be worth it for me to go ahead and buy the freezer I want and freeze as much milk as I could get in it since I could easily drink 2 gallons a week if prices weren't so high. And then I'd cook a bunch of stuff with the sugar/eggs and squeeze into the spaces. The potatoes...don't know but I paid $2.49/5 lbs on sale yesterday. Guess I'd eat tons of those. I'd leave all the grapes for someone else. Those are terrific prices!

Reactions: meredith1629
#9 ·
SO thankful for my stockpile! I buy mostly store brand items, items on sale, and/or use coupons. I NEVER pay full price for any of my groceries/HBA. I meal plan is based on what I have on hand. If I find a new recipe I want to try with ingredients that I don't have, I shop around and/or wait until I find a deal on the ingredients. It takes some planning and forethought, but it saves a lot of money!

#11 ·
I've never seen a Costco and if they treat people like criminals like they do at Sam's Club, I'd have to be starving to shop there anyway. No TJ's either.

I'm so envious of low milk prices. Milk has been around $4.25/gallon here for years and almost never on sale.

Grapes are $1.69 this week, not bad.

Russet potatoes are $1.49/5 lbs. this week, so I'll be getting some of those. Someone mentioned making twice baked potatoes for the freezer and I want to try those. I've been waiting for a sale.

Campbell's tomato or chicken noodle soup is .79. They've really watered down tomato soup lately.

Frozen turkey breast, .99/lb. Have to get a couple of those.

Our Family (house brand) chunky soups, 5/$10.

We've been spending very little on groceries lately but I think this will be a bad week. So many great sales this week, including some meat.

#13 ·
I hear lots of things too. Luckily, most turn out not to be true.

It's like the weather forecast. People make educated guesses (and sometimes just guesses.) The weather forecast usually isn't all that accurate either. :D

#14 ·
Spirit Deer, i read alot of farm magazines and they are already importing Milk from other countries so i do see milk going up in price. With the huge jump in feed cost i see the price of eggs going up too, they might not get to $5 but i do see them going up!

#15 ·
It would not surprise me, I'm just saying I've heard a lot of things over the past few years and most of them did not turn out to be true. I'm just waiting to see what happens, and will roll with the punches since there isn't any other option.

#20 ·
I've always wondered, if you freeze grapes, how long can they stay in the freezer before they get icky? And how do you package them? They're not good if you thaw them and then eat them, are they?

I've wondered the same about whole bananas you freeze. Although I'm sure the bananas would be good for stuff like banana bread.

#23 ·
For grapes I just pulled them off the stem and put them in a freezer bag. You would eat them frozen. They are pretty yummy :)

For bananas I usually peel and then put into a freezer bag. You can use them in smoothies or things like breads and muffins. They do get smooshy but that doesn't matter for those uses

#21 ·
Frozen bananas turn to mush when thawed. This actually makes them easier to mix into the bread or muffin recipe. I use them for fruit smoothies and milkshakes, though not so much this time of year. Frozen banana is a great substitute for ice cream in a smoothie.

Reactions: Spirit Deer
#22 ·
Remember those bananas I got so cheap 2-3 weeks ago? I froze some whole. They have made excellent smoothies when combined with blueberries or strawberries, a little plain yogurt, dash of milk, and some honey. As good as any milkshake I've ever had. Even had one with chocolate syrup one night. Good!

Reactions: Spirit Deer
#24 ·
Grapes are on sale this week. I'm going to try freezing them! Those would make a great snack to take camping, too.

I usually smash up bananas for breads and bars before freezing. I don't think I've ever tried freezing them just for eating as a snack.

#25 ·
Heading to the salvage store today with a list of things that I need to look into buying more of. My last great purchase was 25 lbs of flour for $3.99. I do a lot of baking and I store the bag in the freezer and take out about 5 lbs at a time.

Always be on the lookout for a bargain and stock up if at all possible; ESPECIALLY for things you use often.

#27 ·
We have had some decent prices come out this week......pleased me. Some really decent produce prices, which is what I buy the most of---thanks to my stockpile.

The milk has only gone up a little bit and seems to be sitting there for now..........under $2.75 a gallon. Eggs haven't had any great action for price changes........but no good sales either.

We can usually get 10 lb. of potatoes for .99.......but those are white.......if you want Yukon Gold or the red skins......you pay a little more. We also will ALWAYS have some store that is selling plain white or wheat bread for .99.............though I splurge and but a '5 seed' for $1.65. We are lucky and have some good bakeries around here..........Portland, Seattle area........so bread stays "with in reason".....

I was thrilled when four kinds of our apples have all dropped below a buck a pound....:tay:---just our common kinds (Fuji, Gala, Delicious, Gr. Smith) but hey---will take what I can get!

They were saying on the news that we have a bumper crop of apples--thanks to our spring weather------and have shipped out a record number of boxes last month-----------probably to the Midwest, for part of them---due to your drought.

Haven't had to shop for meat......and when I went to Costco over the weekend, I just 'bit the bullet' and bought some I WANTED.......not because it was such a good price...........will have to watch for some decent pork prices though.

Overall, I haven't seen any major spike in anything................but then I am not buying some things, since I have a decent stockpile.

One store even has butter for $1.99 this week.................limit 3, think it is..........AND A COUPON. (tougher to beat the "limit thing" when they also come out with a coupon!!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.