Frugal Village Forums banner

Stocking up

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  frugalfranny 
#1 ·
I just ordered 20#'s of ham for $3.29 per pound from Zaycon foods. I am going to stock up the freezer. They also have a deal on bacon. We don't eat enough bacon to buy in this quantity. But it would be good to split with some other families as well. I have bought the salmon and peaches in the past and they were both very good. I am planning to cube a lot of the ham to use in soups, casseroles, scrambles, etc.

I am feeling the urge to stock up. Getting my freezer and pantry stocked. I am reading a lot about rising prices (seeing that too). I got 15#'s of flour at the grocery today. And a couple more pounds of butter (up to 16#'s in the freezer right now). I was looking at next weeks grocery ad and didn't see much. I think I will only be getting barilla pasta for .79 per box. We did stop by a fruit stand today where I got a 24# box of apples for $8. Best price I have seen in a decade. They are nice and crispy too :)

https://www.zayconfoods.com/refer/zf19971

#6 ·
We don't get a lot of outages here. But we do have some cords.

We are going to get stocked on beef as well. Hearing a lot chatter about beef prices going up. What's not going up?

#7 ·
I haven't tried the chicken. Have you been happy with the quality.

Yep. It's good stuff. I think it has a better flavor than the store bought stuff. I usually buy chicken breasts from Zaycon and then I buy Foster Farm whole chickens at Freddies when I find them as "day old".

Side note:
My friend, C, has a baby. She has to feed him Zaycon chicken or Foster Farms because he reacts to the cheaper chicken.

#8 ·
I think I will try the chicken next time. I have been buying organic from Costco but it is $$$$. I was a little put off that I have to repackage the chicken but it sounds like it might be worth it :)

#9 ·
I have never heard of this site. I have registerd....can't wait to see what it's all about. Thanks!

#10 ·
I was a little put off that I have to repackage the chicken but it sounds like it might be worth it
In a way, it is a pain in the tushie. But, in a way, it is really nice. We divvie it up into 10 gallon- sized baggies. Four pounds of chicken is a meal for us (three teen boys). We always buy two boxes at a time because it takes quantity to feed my guys (can't wait for this hollow leg phase to end).

C, my friend with the baby, buys a box. She fills up her crockpot (and sometimes one that she has borrowed from me) with some of the chicken. She dices up some of the cooked chicken, freezes it on cookie sheets, and then bags it up into gallon-sized baggies. The rest of the cooked chicken she slices into "fingers" and freezes and bags it up the same way. She said that she puts some of the raw chicken in baggies with marinades.

Her family is smaller than ours and she said that it is really nice to be able to package it up into what her family needs. The individual frozen chicken breasts always work out where there is extra in the bag and she always had a partial one floating around. Sometimes, she would clean out the freezer and find four or five bags of chicken with one or two chicken breasts in it. That took up a lot of freezer space. She said that now, she just grabs a baggie and knows that that is what the family needs for dinner.

She likes the cooked chicken because she can quickly grab out a handful for the protein part of the babies' lunch or a few handfuls to go on a pizza or in a soup for a fast dinner. She said that the slices work well in a stir fry or in a sauce to go over rice. She said that they also make homemade mashed potato bowls like they have at KFC with the cooked chicken slices.

Also, if you have dogs or cats, save the "groddie bits" from the chicken. One person said that they dehydrate it and gives it to their dogs as treats. Another cooks it in just a little bit of water and pours the cooked "groddie bits" and what remains of the water over the dog's dry food.

We feed our "groddie bits" to our cats (and C saves hers for our kitties too). We feed them mostly raw. Their food is mostly ground up whole Foster Farms chickens and sometimes we add in the groddie bits. Other times, we cook up the groddie bits and give it to them cooked. It just depends on if we have whole chickens available when we get the boxes or not. Right now, we have a whole freezer full of cat food because I found a ton of "day old" Foster Farm whole chickens a while ago (enough that we have several in our freezer, C has several in her freezer for her family, and the kitties got about three months of cat food out of what I found).

#12 ·
My friend ordered the ham too............new for her.

Have heard that their bacon is REALLY GOOD...........and also got a 'decent confirmation' that their chickens aren't full of hormones, so going to try them myself.
I only buy Foster Farms or Draper Valley now..........nothing else.

Have heard 99% good comments about them...........the only 'sort of' bad one..........it was just a minor thing about the cod.......not flavor, just the way they sliced it. And that was just about a personal preference.

As for re-packaging............I have to repackage everything that I buy at the store anyway............so.....no big deal......just a bigger amt. to do.

I have never tried them as I just didn't have room in my freezer.............but with my new freezer.........going to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.