Frugal Village Forums banner

I need to take frugal to a new level.

5K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  mommy4ever 
#1 ·
I am already pretty frugal and smart with money but........ I just found out I am pregnant with #3. We are very excited but I am afraid we might not reach our goal of being debt free by next year. I am still going to try though.

#4 ·
congrats on the new baby..join us on challenges they help and are fun.. also go and look back at some old threads..

are u able to reuse some of the baby furniture if u can that would be mega savings. are u going to breastfeed it helps a lot to on the bud get unfortunately I was not able to.. are u going to use cloth diapers I did when I had washing machine but when it died I went to pampers..

I wish u well

#9 ·
Congratulations! You can totally still do this (easier BEFORE the baby than AFTER, kwim?)

If the cloth diapers end up not working out for any reason, when my two were little we had no problems at all with the Babies R Us brand of diapers-- and actually if you compare their lipil formula to the big brands, they're actually a little BETTER. We've been out of diapers for over 2 years now (THANK GOODNESS!!!) but they did used to do a BIG sale on the cases of the store brand on black friday...

So if you end up in disposables, I'd suggest using the fancy ones you'll get as gifts for the first few weeks, while baby's skin is most sensitive, then go cheap. :)

Reactions: ARCMOMMY
#10 ·
well congrats first off
And by now you know they dont need as much as new moms think. I ditched the changing table the second time and put a pad on the carpeted floor when i changed. Also breast fed and only used about 2 weeks of commercial food before I made my own. I wasnt long before he was eating "normal finger foods anyway. I hope you have some friend who would loan stuff. Also can you repupose anything of the other kids. I also think another shower might be ok??

there are patterns online for cloth diapers if you sew.I would alos resale and g. sale for anything I could get except car seats-too many recalls for me.
Good luck-get creative. I decorated w/ baskets.

#15 ·
Congrats!!!!!!

I used clothe diapers as well, but it was so long ago I don't remeber. I know I had 2 different kinds. Enjoy him/her:) I miss my babies.......

#17 ·
I am pretty much set on item's and such. All I really need is a new car seat and diapers. I own a daycare and have lots of extra supplies and I run a children's clothing swap. I do want to look more into cloth diapers. I am wondering what is a good amount to start with 20? 30? Per size or is this nuts? Lol! My main goal is to get out of debt as much as possible in the mean time. I need to revisit the $5 meals thread

#19 ·
~Congratulations!!! Yeah, feel free to message me if you want any info on the dipes. ;)
You can still reach your goal. Sometimes the distraction of having a little one around can make you more frugal because you can become home and baby centric. At least, I found that to be true for me.
You do have to be careful with who you hang out with, even online. The online mommies' group I belong to is stuff crazy. I limit myself to how often I browse and post there because they all clearly have way more money to burn on baby gadgets, pics and experiences than I have ever have. It's easy to say "I don't need this or that" until you're bombarded with professional pics of your child's ultra adorable peers playing with their new XYZ's. ~

#22 ·
So it turns out my brother's very best friend from high school makes cloth diapers for her store. SCORE!! She is going to send me one to try out on one of the kids here in the daycare. This is great because I would rather give the money to her than a big box place. All I need left is a infant car seat but I will wait for that.

#24 ·
Congratulations!
`Maybe put the word out to close family and/or friends that you need the car seat. 2 or 3 people could possibably split the cost as a baby gift if you're having a shower.

#23 ·
Congratulations! You have a more secure situation than many. Do check the max number of children the state allows you to sit and consider adding a part-time employee if needed, especially when you get baby #3 sleeping through the night. You could take in some older kids after school for a little more money if there is no after school program at nearby elementary. Employee can help keep daycare running while you are recovering. Early childhood ed student at university may be available cheaply if you are willing to follow some guidelines with a university instructor to set learning goals for student and evaluate progress.

Clothe diapers?

Nursing and expressing machine? Could be impossible working alone in a daycare.

Home-made baby food?

Hand-me-down shared clothing/toys?

Big freezer and make double batches of meals when you hit 3rd trimester to cover period of time after baby arrives so you don't need to order takeout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.