Frugal Village Forums banner

Are you stocking up?

6K views 56 replies 38 participants last post by  brennasmom 
#1 ·
With all the uncertainty in the economy are you stocking your pantry and freezer. What are you stocking up on?

#2 ·
I am stocking up the same as I always have.

Flour on sale buy some for later. Meat on sale buy some for later. Favorite brand of underwear on sale buy some for later.

#3 ·
We're not doing anything different. We have a large and small freezer full of food, the pantry has canned goods to carry us through winter, we have a good contract in place for our heating fuel, we're prepared for winter as usual.

#5 ·
I am stocking up on everything but meat..I will not leave it in the freezer for longer than 3 months....but I am stocking up because of price increases.......undies, socks, sweats, ect

even though I did tell hubby that the Waltons was research on depression and Roseanne was research for a recession....

maybe true enough...

#6 ·
I continue to stock up on anything that is a good price and fits in my weekly budget. Butter is 1.99 this week, so I will buy one even though I have 5 or 6 in the freezer. TP is another thing I try to stockup on....the prices have not been too good though.

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#7 ·
For a while i stopped stockpiling was using up what i had stockpiled. Lately i have been stockpiling what i can. I have limited space so i don't have a lot. Today i stockpiled two boxes of cereal, can of coffee, cream of mushroom soup and sweetened condensed milk. Also two boxes of tissues

#8 ·
No more than usual. Currently we have plenty of food. I think we have enough to last the 2 of us for a year. We need to stock up on hygiene supplies and cash. We have some of each but not enough. We work at the same place and around February/March they are going to layoff 10 to 25% of the workforce. We have known for over 6 months that this was coming. So we have spent this time stocking up on food and paying off my car and the credit cards.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm in overdrive and will be until I feel comfortable with what I have..A few weeks ago bought several 20-roll packs of TP that was on sale plus added coupons that saved me close to 50%( probably will never see it that cheap again) on the total.I figure I now have enough to last us 3 yrs or more..Im comfortable with that.

Black Friday will be my day to stockpile paper towels & batteries they will be 50% off plus I have coupons..since there is a limit I will bring my brother whom has their store card also then price match at Walmart to quadruple my trip.

Canned veggies ( name brand) are on sale for .59 each.. again these are also half priced..
I definitely don't think we will see these prices for quite some time ....on top of what I already have stocked I'm getting close to my comfort level..

Bought my year supply of sweetened condensed milk .95 cents on sale plus combined coupons.I could make this from scratch but I don't think I could make it cheaper than what I paid for it on sale.

Bought 5lbs of sweet potatoes( so far) $2.50 again half price..will cook them,mash them then dehydrate them for future use.

It seems like I'm buying alot of long term stuff right now....

Next I will be buying meat on sale and start canning more..I tend to not want to touch the 100 plus jars of meat I canned over the past several months..Im so glad it has a long shelf life.

Im very excited that I finally bought a variety of antibiotics...I now just need to purchase a reference book on his to use them.

Oh and I'm not keeping anymore than $100 in the bank after paying bills...I feel better knowing that I have access to it whenever I want..

#10 ·
Just the usual here. Our freezer is pretty well stocked and I am trying to make sure we continuously rotate out the oldest items first. I put a few cans of stock in the pantry this week, normally I would buy as many cans as I had room for, but I made a huge batch of broth a few weeks ago to use for thanksgiving, so I didn't feel the need. Also bought sale boxes of stuffing, I use it year round.

DH's job is pretty secure right now. The industry he is in is one that people spend money on no matter the circumstances, and his company is doing very well. Plus his bosses all like him.

#11 ·
Yep, we sure are... Meat (for the freezer), canned vegetables, canned soups, dry pasta, dry cereal, spaghetti sauce (jar or can), spices, tea (we drink a lot of hot tea). Our little place is getting full! Also, shampoo/conditioner, toothpaste, floss, bar soap, cleaning products, underwear & socks... Yeah, various things...

#13 ·
We are stockpiling. We made a big food storage purchase along with my routine shopping of store sales. I hope to hit Publix up for canned tomatoes and pineapple on Monday. I didn't know about the deal on tp on Black Friday but I will certainly try and get any deal I can. Right now, I feel it is more important to take extra cash and buy essentials (tp is essential to me) than hoard cash that might not be worth as much.

#14 ·
There have been some pretty good sales locally so the past week I have been stocking up on turkey. Black friday will be a stock up day for socks. I also just bought 20# of ham which I am half way thru repackaging for the freezer.

Dried beans is a good idea. I am down to about 1/2 of a bag.

Question... what do you use condensed milk in? I honestly am not sure.

I am really stocked up on shampoo and soap.

#15 ·
We have a huge pantry, shelves in the cellar office and a large freezer in the cellar.
We just got 3 tons of pellets for the pellet stove.
We usually stock up for the winter. BUT yes, I am also stocking for when prices skyrocket.
Alot of H&B I buy in bulk at Sam's along with TP and Paper towels.
I have enough shampoo/conditioner to last a couple of years. I have to tell myself to stop buying it and use what we have - LOL! Same with deodorant and bars of soap.
Coffee was on sale so I bought 5 of the 2 lb 1.9 oz plastic jugs of Folgers. I said to DH what are we gonna do when coffee gets even higher in price? He said drink tea so I bought a pack of 40 tea bags to start.
Have lots of boxes of tissues for cold season - also stocked up on cold meds, ibuprofen for us and DS.
Stocked up on pet food, dry cereal, frozen veggies, Progresso soup, Oikos Greek yogurt for my lunch for a few weeks, cases of water, rice, pasta, spaghetti sauce, fiber one bars, granola bars, crackers, cheese, hot dogs/rolls, etc.
I do rotate and keep track so we don't waste or forget anything.

#16 ·
I have been stocking up a lot, but this is just the time of year I do it. It's not because of any special concern about the economy. We have had some awesome sales at Kroger lately, so I have also bought things I usually don't have on hand, such as cake mixes (Betty Crocker, I think) that came out .25 each. I have stocked up on some other convience foods that I rarely buy, but the prices were so low it was worthwhile. They had Green Giant canned vegetables for .39, so I stocked up on corn and green beans. Taco shells, .25 or .50, don't remember. A list of stuff like that. There have been decent prices on canned fruit, so I bought a good bit of that. I don't use it consistently, but it's nice to have. I've stocked up some on dried beans, but will probably pick up a few more bags. I got a fair deal on TP this week, so I stocked up on some of that. I haven't bought any for months and months and had just noticed I was really getting low on it. I am also almost out of all kinds of H&B that I need to begin thinking about. I am also rather low on cheese and some condiments. There have also been pretty good meat sales, even beef, so I have my freezer full.

My grocery bill was shocking for October, and may be again this month, depending on whether I shop Kroger's sales Sunday night or pass them by. I need to look at them more closely. At any rate, I'm good to go on food for quite a while except for fresh items and frozen vegetables, that I buy along, reserving most freezer room for meat specials.

I was interested to see when I checked a website that focuses on Kroger's deals - all the prices in our local ad were around .20 - .30 cheaper across the board. I don't know how those of you in high cost of living states do it.

#17 ·
I am but not because of the economy. We moved into this house a few months ago and we're trying to get back to having a year supply again. Right now, when I buy one item, I remember to buy 2. When I use one, I buy 2 more. We're still working on shelving. I hate when the stockpile is all mish-mash. We are also looking for a good price on a freezer.

#19 ·
dcompton, I just looked at the Kroger ad here. DelMonte cut green beans or whole kernel corn @ 4 for $3.00 or $0.75/can. Sure is a big difference.

Stocking up. Yeah, I went to the store this evening with that in mind. Bought a bunch of canned items - kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, turnip greens, peas. Went ahead and got 4 large cans of pumpkin @ $2.84/can. That's been the price for a while now. Got a huge thing of TP, laundry detergent, 2 large bottles of dishwashing detergent, dried black beans/great northern beans. Just a bunch of stuff. Mushroom and cream of chicken soup was 75/can so got several of those. Spent $123, no meat and only non-food items was dental floss and a cheap fleece throw so that was a huge amount for just me. The fleece thing was only $4 and I'm going to make some more window snakes with that. It was cheaper than buy fleece on the bolt. Now the question is...where to put all this stuff! :) I'm making a Sam's run tomorrow for coffee, meat, water and milk.

Reactions: NikoSan999
#21 ·
SueBee, that's what the beans are here this week. This was two or three weeks ago. I don't that our prices would be much different, but there's a big difference with some other parts of the country. When I used to visit a friend in Maryland I would leave the grocery store completely shell shocked.

#22 ·
OK, I just noticed your location so we probably are in pretty much the same price range. I think what shocks me the most is how people with kids manage.

And brennasmom, sweetened condensed milk...makes fabulous pumpkin pie. Also, here lately, I've taken to making smoothies with bananas, blueberries, yogurt and a little SCM. So good! So fattening! LOL

#23 ·
Beans here are around .70/can on a really good sale. Usually they're closer to a dollar a can. And there's a lot more water in the cans anymore, too.

I canned my first batch of beans using the no-pre-cook method I read about here on FV. It worked out well so I'm going to work on canning plain beans but also bean soup, barbecue beans, pork and beans, and other styles of beans. Dry beans are not cheap here either but at least I won't feel like I'm paying for half a can of water.

Love my new little $2 canner!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.