Frugal Village Forums banner

stockpiling dairy?

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  knit4fun 
#1 ·
so with the price of milk predicted to rise to 7-8 dollars a gallon, should we start stockpiling dairy products, such as cheese, yogurt and milk? I've froze just about every kind of dairy product except for sour cream, cream cheese and yogurt. These 3 items tend to lose their consistency when frozen. Right now I have about 10 1 lb. blocks of mozzarella in the freezer, when I see it for 1.99 I always get a couple, as we need our pizza. But I'm thinking maybe I should get some other cheese as well. When milk rises in price, of course anything made with milk will rise as well.

#4 ·
I always freeze cream cheese when I buy it on sale. I just beat it well when I use it, though mostly I make Alfredo pasta sauce with it so I melt it until it is smooth. Supposedly it gets grainy once frozen but I've never found it to be grainy because I only cook with it after freezing.

#5 ·
I experimented a while back with freezing milk and had no problems with it even without taking any out of the (plastic) bottle. There was a discussion on this a few days ago under "general chat" about the "dairy cliff." Somebody said (and I agree) that this is one of those things that will either be averted or very quickly fixed. The hike would happen because we would revert to a WW2-era rule about how the supply gets managed... and at $8/gallon, people will buy much less, and the demand will drop, and either the cost will come down quickly, or some supplier is going to have a LOT of sour milk on his hands...

If you have room in your freezer and you see a good deal, why not? You'll use it eventually... but one person was thinking of buying a second freezer... I can't see that being worthwhile, personally.

And one thing I said on the other thread and I'll repeat here... I've heard of people cutting whole milk with powdered milk 50/50 to make 2%... So if you do freeze a bunch, maybe consider freezing whole, then cutting it with powdered after thawing? Twice as much "stockpile" for the freezer space...

#6 ·
I believe I'm the person your referring to in regards to a second freezer..I should of mentioned that I have been wanting another freezer for some time now..I love to stockpile sale meats among other frozen goods..with my huge freezer being stuffed I couldnt even fit 1- gallon of milk..I dont really need another freezer just for milk..LOL..

#7 ·
I've got about 4L of bagged milk frozen for the winter - you know those days where you get dumped on and can't dig out or its not worth heading out on the roads til things settle. I've also got 2 x 1KG tubs of plain yoghurt in there as well. Have never frozen cream though but I heard cream freezes beautifully. I might have to try it with one 1L carton and go from there - there have been great deals lately.

Better yet - can one free liquid Coffeemate and have it thaw back to a nice creamy lump/grain free state?

#9 ·
I stocked up on brick cream cheese when I found it for .99.... it has a decent shelf life unopened and I will freeze and use it in cooking. I have a good stockpile of butter (my buy price is $2 per #) and have quite a bit of mozzarell, we only use that in cooking so I have no trouble freezing it. We don't use a lot of milk so we will just deal with that if prices rise.

#10 ·
I always freeze cheese anyway. I freeze blocks of Kroger bar cheese and bags of cheese for cooking in sandwich bags. I have frozen cream cheese blocks. We keep extra milk in the garage in storage tubs. It will keep a little longer. I dont like to waste the freezer space.
And double for us is $5-$6. on milk

#14 ·
Apparently you can freeze liquid Coffeemate! At the rate I'm going through it now, I don't need to freeze it but when I run out, I will purchase two more and freeze one to see how it turns out.

As for coffee cream, b/c it has higher fat content I think it will do well like milk. Just shake well each time before you use it. Maybe freeze it in cartons then after letting it thaw in fridge for approx 3 days (?) perhaps pour into a resealable container that won't leak when you go to shake it before each use?

I wish I could find the link I read while researching freezing Coffeemate but if I recall correctly, the one person had the container explode in her freezer so to ensure that didn't happen again, she opened each container into its own freezer ziploc and froze flat. When she pulled one to thaw, it thawed much faster and she snipped off one of the bottom corners and poured into a Rubbermaid container and stored in her fridge. A bit more waste in terms of packaging but that idea seemed interesting.

#15 ·
I have powdered milk stockpiled to use half] with reg milk. I will be stocking up on other dairy.

#16 ·
I freeze nondairy creamers, but I do put them in jars. Keep half in the original container and when it's empty, wash well and thaw creamer. ready to go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.