Frugal Village Forums banner

The 4 categories of frugality...

9K views 58 replies 33 participants last post by  Toffeekit 
G
#1 ·
...I've been reflecting a lot this year on FV, and this is something that I've been thinking on for the last week or so. We have a lot of threads on what is frugality, what does frugality mean to you, etc. and they're all pretty philosophical. What I've noticed is that where we all agree in theory, we don't necessarily all agree in practice. Going over the Frugal Challenge thread from last year, I think frugality can be lumped into 4 basic categories.

*Making more money - selling on eBay, working overtime, getting a second job, selling garden produce, holding a yard sale, selling handmade crafts, etc.

*Homesteading - growing your own food, raising your own animals, using herbs for health and healing, etc.

*Deal Hunting - coupons, rebates, freebies from the internet, etc.

*TWG tips (I couldn't come up with a good name for this one!) - reusing bread bags, turning down the heat, fixing your glasses with a paperclip, borrowing tapes from the library, making your own rice mixes, etc.

Do you agree? Disagree? Is there a category here that you wouldn't consider frugal? Are some more frugal than others? Food for thought.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't necessarily consider making more $ being part of frugality personally but we all have a different point of view. I think making more $ is always a good idea though. I don't think there is any right tor wrong way to be frugal. To me being frugal stretches resources for one. Secondly it lets me save on things not very important to me so I can spend on the things that are important to me or save for the future.

#3 ·
I agree with Nodmicks. Making more money is important, but not frugal. To me frugal means saving money, not so much earning more money.

Frugality is saving money in ways that don't take advantage of other people or businesses, or doing anything that does not infringe on others. There's a difference between being frugal and being cheap or dishonest in the name of saving money.

You're opening up a big ol' can o'worms on this one, Telephus! :popcorn:

G
#6 ·
I think debt reduction is part of a money management plan, not necessarily being frugal.

Reducing electricity, food budget, etc I would put in category #4.

(again, just my opinion - no right or wrong answers here!)

#5 ·
I agree on the making more money part - unless you are saving the majority of it.

I certainly agree on the other categories that you listed. All are ways of making the most of the money that you do have.

One of the definitions of frugality is: meager, involving very little expense - I think you have a really comprehensive list of the ways we are able to take living in the 21st century and make it as inexpensive as possible.

It's a good list and I don't think there is anything else that I could personally add. I think you covered it. As for one being more frugal than another - I guess that would be up to each individual, as some people use coupons, some do not. Some folks wash out their baggies, others do not. It's all in each person's personal perspective as to which are the most frugal. In the big picture, in my opinion - everything you listed is frugal.

G
#8 ·
I guess I'm trying to open a can of worms. I've really felt a strong disconnect with FV this year, and I'm trying to figure out why. In reviewing the year in the Frugal Challenge it occurred to me that the types of things I did were different than other people's, and it started me thinking on what frugality really is, what should qualify or shouldn't qualify.

For example - I used to list going over to my parent's house to eat since it was saving me money on my food budget. I decided at some point that it shouldn't count because someone else was still paying for the food. I wouldn't go as far as saying I was taking advantage of my parents, but I didn't think it should qualify as a frugal act.

In part I'm trying to refocus on what frugality is to me. Going to my parents house to dinner is important to me because it allows me to visit with my family, my children get to build bonds with their grandparents, etc. But it's not really frugal.

#11 ·
I guess I'm trying to open a can of worms. I've really felt a strong disconnect with FV this year, and I'm trying to figure out why. In reviewing the year in the Frugal Challenge it occurred to me that the types of things I did were different than other people's, and it started me thinking on what frugality really is, what should qualify or shouldn't qualify.
You might be feeling that disconnect because you had a baby this year. I did not have nearly the energy to devote to some of those categories of frugality when I was pregnant or taking care of a newborn, especially when I was working outside the home.

#9 ·
I don't think eating at your parents' is taking advantage of them, unless you do it a lot for the sole purpose of saving your own money. Do you reciprocate? Or do other things for them besides feeding them? Then that's fair, IMO. It sounds like that's family bonding for you and your kids, and the frugality of not eating your own food is just a side benefit.

There is a difference between frugal and free, too. And often frugality is relative. I can save money buying steak on sale, but if I truly want to be frugal, shouldn't I be eating beans and forget the steak?

I consider our brand new multi-thousand dollar camper frugal, or at least frugality in process. It hasn't paid for itself yet of course, but it will eventually vs. taking flying vacations, cruises, or hotel vacations. But it's not as cheap as staying home. So is it really frugal?

I consider it frugal to keep the heat at a comfortable level in our living room by setting the thermostat higher for our heating stove and keeping the main furnace lower. But I could turn both down and sit here with freezing hands and feet, miserable, but surviving. I consider my hobbies frugal entertainment, but I have to have good lighting to do them, two bright lights at the same time, so are the hobbies really frugal? I could sit here in the dark doing nothing instead, just to save money. That would be more frugal. So in those ways, I refuse to be frugal unless circumstances someday force me to be that conservative. IMO, frugality isn't worth it if I can afford a better quality of life, rather than sitting in the cold and dark.

But it comes down to what your priorities are and why you have those priorities.

#10 ·
I see what you are saying about eating at your parents as not necessarily being frugal, but it saves you money. I realize they spent money, but we are talking about our, personal frugality here, so anything that saves you money works under the realm of frugality, in my opinion.

As for making money not being frugality, I agree with that. However, I think that things like selling on eBay and having a yard sale, etc are "extra" ways of making money that aren't like having a full time job. I wouldn't say that me being a teacher is frugal, but my selling things on eBay and putting that money into an account to pay for next year's Christmas gifts is a measure of frugality because I'm doing something that I wouldn't normally do so money for gifts doesn't come out of our savings. Does that makes sense?

#13 ·
I agree Amy - When I sell at the Farmers Markets on Saturdays (or any other sales) - I figure that I am making a more frugal choice for me. Used to be that I frequented garage sales/thrift stores on Sat mornings. Now I am busy selling instead of buying. For me, that means frugality.

#12 ·
Telephus honey sorry to put my foot in..u have had hard year..u have a son that is autistic, that is hard..U had a baby... Your husband lost his job and u have become the soul breadwinner.u re fied your home... U have not complained any...

I think sometimes we all have a disconnect sometimes..

we may disagree sometimes here but that is what makes it work we do a lot of listening...By the way I have learned a lot from u sweetie.. hugs

#15 ·
I respectfully disagree, Amy. :) IMO, saving money for you personally isn't frugal if you're doing things like stealing condiment packets or napkins from restaurants so you don't have to buy your own, or getting others to provide for your needs without reciprocating in some way. That's just cheap and sometimes downright dishonest. OTOH, if you are given the usual number of packets of condiments with your meal and keep any extra to use later, that IS frugal because you did not take more than you were expected to use with your meal and you did not throw away the leftovers. Taking the toilet paper from the campground bathhouse so you don't have to pay for your own isn't frugal, it's stealing. Claiming you forgot your wallet when you're out with friends so you don't have to pay for your meal isn't frugal, it's cheap and dishonest. I'm sure you don't mean stuff like that, though.

Reactions: QM
#17 ·
LOL...no, I definitely wasn't talking about that type of thing. I meant the types of things that most of us talk about here at the village. I am in total agreement about stealing and lying not being frugal. :)

#18 ·
I agree with Nodmicks. We do things most wouldn't really consider frugal, like travel. But we watched my parents wait to travel till my dad could retire, and we watched him die at 52, when their dreams died with him. We'll be damned if we're going to wait till some future presumed perfect time that may never come. We are going to go NOW, because now is the only time we can be sure we have. We have retirement and investments covered to our satisfaction. It's not our goal to be skinflints trying to see how little we can get by with just so we can amass a huge amount of money. We enjoy our lives and handle our money well, so we can't think of a good reason not to do what we want to now instead of waiting to see if we both live long enough to enjoy life later and regretting it if one of us doesn't.

We've been very poor at various points in our lives, too. There have been times when, if we found a penny on the sidewalk, it was cause for celebration. I can remember when an anniversary dinner was a sandwich from Taco John's, split two ways. We have been so poor that we've picked the roaches out of the macaroni after it was cooked, because it was all we had and we could not afford to throw it away. So it's not like we don't know how to be poor. And I truly do understand why some people have to pinch pennies and stretch every dollar as far as they can. I've been there, too. But I'm not there now, and I'm not going to live like I am. So in that way, we're not frugal and won't be unless we're forced back into it.

In a roundabout way, I guess I'm saying I don't always feel very connected here, either.

#20 ·
Spiritdeer I know you and I have had this conversation before. You had me almost clapping with your first paragraph. We both saw this with our dads and both took it to hear since we have discussed it. I said yes that is it!!! at your second paragraph. You put it into words so it made perfect sense and was what I was also trying to get across. We are all at a different point in our journey.

#19 ·
We should all feel connected. Come on! I'm just getting back on board and people are jumping ship. lol

this was a great thread to read. I like the OP's post and her categories. They make perfect sense to me. So, I would agree with her.

I'm sorry if anyone is feeling a disconnect because the can afford things that others can not. Please use your story as an inspiration for those who are struggling. Kind of like what you did here :D .. it was heartwarming.

Happy New Year!!

#21 ·
We should all feel connected. Come on! I'm just getting back on board and people are jumping ship. lol

this was a great thread to read. I like the OP's post and her categories. They make perfect sense to me. So, I would agree with her.

I'm sorry if anyone is feeling a disconnect because the can afford things that others can not. Please use your story as an inspiration for those who are struggling. Kind of like what you did here :D .. it was heartwarming.

Happy New Year!!
Nah, no jumping ship here ever. I love the Village :)The village helped us go from poverty and debt to much more comfy over the years. I need to pick someones brain about this stuff and it sure isn't most of my IRL buddies.

G
#22 ·
You know, that's something too that makes me feel disconnected. I've never been on hard times like people are discussing here. So sometimes I feel like being frugal for me is like "faking" having a hard time. I save tin foil and shop marked down meat because I like doing it, not because I have to. I spent more last year on eating out than on groceries, so I sure can afford to buy new tin foil and non-marked down meat. So in someways I feel like a phony, because I'm not in a hard times situation and I never have been.

So maybe since my motivations for being frugal are different, my ideas of what is frugal are different.

I've also been trying to clarify a bit on what is frugality and what is just something you often find with it. For example, a lot of frugal people are also environmentally conscious - but they aren't the same thing. A lot of frugal people are preppers, or SAHM/one income, or very religious, but those things aren't the same as being frugal, they just often tend to go hand in hand. There's a lot of these lifestyles that I don't subscribe to that are very prevalent on FV, and I think that's another reason I feel disconnected.

So I'm really just trying to get back to what frugality is for me, what actions and ideas I consider frugal, and I feel the need to refocus my FV postings based on that, whenever I figure out what that is.

#23 ·
Tele ~ I just want to send you a great big hug.

I agree that we all view frugality differently at times. There's no right or wrong definition. It's a very personal definition.

I would rather spend $6 for a gal of organic milk, but I'll wash out my baggies a dozen times til they can't be used again.

For a long while, I was on the coupon boat, determined to never spend over a dollar on any given item. Then I realized how unhealthy most of those items are. How I was putting my family at risk to save a buck.

I'd rather find my frugality in other ways.

This is, of course, just my opinion. :D

#57 ·
I love your avatar!

And I agree about cheap but unhealthy food. Medical care costs a lot more than vegetables, rice and 'real' protein sources.

#24 ·
Hmmm, categories of frugality. I never looked at it that way before. I think you make a good point.

The categories I'd propose are:

* Careful acquisition of resources. I wanted to list this as "patience" because that is so much a part of this category. Being patient when finding items to acquire items can make a huge difference. Anyway, this category would include couponing and comparison shopping.

* Careful acquisition of skills. This would include homesteading skills, crafting, education that leads to a career or something as simple as learning to cook at home.

* Careful application of resources. This would include not being wasteful, recycling or re-purposing, and simple steps like portion control. Not doing to excess would be a part of this.

* Preparation. Includes anything from saving money to repairing a small leak before it becomes worse would be included.

* Simplicity. I'm seen lots of discussion as to whether frugality includes simplicity or whether or not those two skills are opposing to each other. For instance, baking a birthday cake at home might be "simplicity" to some people while it might be extremely complicated and stressful to others. For them, buying the birthday cake at a bakery would be "simplicity". I still contend, that whatever simplicity means to you, it is still a necessary part of frugality. In this category I'd include decluttering and home organization.

* Values and conscious living. I believe it is difficult to be truly frugal unless you're living by your values and being conscious of what you're doing. This category would include bill paying, carefully selecting a life mate (divorce is expensive!), family planning, friendship, family relationships and even deciding career and where you're going to live.

#25 ·
Well see now this is getting more to what I believe. I was raised by depression parents w/ frugal attitudes from need of their generations. I dont have to buy markdowns,shop at resale shops or get every car used financially. But in keeping w/ how I was raised-I do. Because I would feel lazy or foolish or taken advantage of if I paid full price for things I know I could get cheaper other (non theft)ways. And yes,I LIKE to bargain hunt,garage sale,estate shop,etc. I meet the most interesting people and have so much fun. It is a social event for me. Go figure. And i love it here w/ all the like minded people w/ generational diff. philosophies.
And recently this year my frugality has reached a new place. A place of enough. I have never been a pack runner or trend setter or JONES. But now I am so involved in our world. What our family needs. I find I dont want much more. That I am satisfied. Thats a new frugal place.
Telephus your not a fake unless your lying to yourself. You can be frugal at any level for any reason. At some points in our lives we hit disappointments and dreams die so we disconnect. You have had a hard year. So grieve the losses and double down w/ what you can have. Some times we just get tired for a bit.
Everything just tastes bad and looks dull for awhile but I assure you not forever.

Oh and I would incl. making more money if it is to pay down debt or accomplish a goal otherwise unobtainable. For instance selling on ebay is frugal. You spend the money on the item and used it so anything you get back is a plus. Samw w/ having a garage sale.
This isnt as literate as i would like so please excuse my migraine brain.

#27 ·
I personally am glad you have never hit really hard times. I hope you never do. You are a step ahead of many of us that did. If I had had your common sense with $ when dh and I were very young we would have been better prepared when the roughest period of our lives hit. That was our rock bottom that made us start to change our ways. Some people just don't need to hit a rock bottom like we did to have financial common sense. Now one can have awesome financial sense and have a series of horrible events destroy them financially no matter how prepared and responsible they are.

There is no faking it. One of the people I most enjoy picking her frugal and investing brain has never had super rough times financially. She is very wealthy. They have been retired since before 40 with plenty to spend. You know how they got all they money to invest so they have now been retired and very comfy for many years. Besides making proper decisions while most of us were out spending and partying they were ALWAYS FRUGAL.

I hope you find the what your searching for . There really doesn't have to be a reason to be frugal. We are here to brainstorm and be a sounding board for you. I really enjoy your post so please keep them coming :)

On the frugal that makes sense only to us. I won't pay $6 for a cup of soup but I paid $40 for a pair of custom fit knit socks with merino wool because that was important to me. Everyone that knew thought I was bonkers. I still love those awesome socks years later!

#28 ·
I think finding ways to make more money IS frugal.

When we choose to do all the things we do to not be wasteful and save money then we ARE making money.

Does it really matter if it is by a second job or growing a garden to save at the grocery store? BOTH add money.

Another thing is that yes, we do all have different income brackets. Some of us are really against the wall. Some are doing okay but could be better. Some of us are great and just love to play the game.

Who cares really? We should support and encourage one another no matter what their situation is. I don't care if someone makes forty dollars a week or 4000, if they have a good tip for cleaning the tub that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg or can tell me of a great sale and coupon item I am all over it!

I hope we all have better years and that we are all happy and healthy.

#29 ·
Telephus, don't feel like you have to have suffered to be a frugal person. I equate it with writing. I've known a lot of writers and wannabe writers over the years. A lot of them have struggled and struggled to make sales of any kind. Most have sweated and cried and tried and worked and never sold anything. I, on the other hand, sold my first short fiction immediately, ended up with a sell rate of over 95% meaning I sold almost everything I wrote, could knock out a salable 4,000 word story in about five hours without any real thought or effort, and in general, had it all come easy to me. The writing job I have now, I was invited into, not only as a writer but as an editor as well. I never looked for it, but was asked in when my publisher bought the magazine a few years ago. It was pure luck and I know that. I've never really struggled as a writer, similarly to how you haven't struggled with money. So what? It does not make me less of a writer. It does not make what I do any less valid. I recognize the gift I've been given, not only with my innate talent and learned skills, but with the luck I've had, hitting the right editors at the right time and also coming to the attention of my current publisher. I'm grateful for it, as you seem to be grateful for what you have. It doesn't matter that I haven't had to go through hell to get it.

You don't have to suffer to be successful. That's a myth. Your situation may be different than some here, and you may have a different way of looking at things, but that does not mean you don't belong or have nothing to contribute. I have always enjoyed your posts, in part because you do seem to look at things in a different way sometimes, which gives me an opportunity to learn something from you. You contribute, probably much more than you realize.

#30 ·
wow. loaded thread here. one of the reasons i dont personally pst much here any longer. although i visit often! times are different and change for everyone....one can make over 300K but still have issues, but to others that may be uber wealthy (which, btw, is NOT) imo....so, everyone has their own thoughts on what is or isnt frugal...

this board has tons to offer...sometimes its not using your own input...imho....

best wishes to you teleph and your family. never let anothers thoughts or convisctions get you down...we all have our own crosses to bear at anytime or another.

#31 ·
I always thought of my dad as being very frugal. He didnt have to but he did. As long as I can remember he has had a garden and has always started everything from seeds. He saves bread bags to pack lunches with. He doesnt waste food. Ect..... He has always had plenty of money in the bank and no debt, but he still was frugal. So I dont think our personal situation should determine our level of frugality. :)

Teleph, big hugs to you and a happy new year!

#32 ·
~Just reading the question in the OP post immediately made me think of motivation to action not the actions themselves. Some people do mostly all of one of your categories and it may be easy to guess what their own motivation to be frugal is based on their actions. One has to be careful not to make assumptions or judgements as to another's motivation based on just their stated actions. A few posts on a message board isn't the entire story. Just like a few statements/threads about a person's beliefs on frugality isn't their entire fabric of motivation.
I know I've mentioned many times here that I grew up "poor" and that we're a low-middle income family. I don't consider that my main motivation for my acts of frugality. My beliefs about life, faith, fairness, simplicity, conservation and preservation are my highest priorities. I don't feel forced to be frugal because we "don't have money". If I felt that way I'd put the kids in school and go to work myself to have more money.
I'm sure there are many people here that don't count their income as the highest driving force to their actions. People are very complex. What may seem an obvious motivation to others on a quick post may be completely off-base. Personally, that's the biggest fascination to me with members here of all incomes and philosophies. I too can easily afford another roll of aluminum foil but tonight I washed two pieces off and put them aside for reuse. ~

#33 ·
Great discussion :)

I think there are many different reasons to be frugal. I am frugal so I can put money towards things that are very important to me, like education, travel, retirement funding, etc.

I love the frugal challenge because it inspires me. If I really want to stop and get pizza for dinner and I don't and find something at home that is a frugal win in my book :) I like to see what others are doing and see what I can incorporate or learn new ideas.

A lot of us are a different stages and find different frugal things in our reach.

I do sell items on ebay and consider that frugal for me as it brings in some extra money that I can apply to my budget.

Here's to a frugal 2013 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.