Frugal Village Forums banner

If I didn't know any better.....

2K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  227melissa 
#1 ·
...I'd swear this article was written by anyone of us FVers. As a matter of fact, you might call the list the FV Bible...lol! Take a look for yourself, and tell me I'm right! :)

16 Depression Era Money Saving Tips | Shrinkage Is Good

I think my favorite is ~Pretend Your Worse Off than You Really Are~. An attitude that can convert a multitude of "financial sinners"! :) But I think everyone of us will recognize ourselves as practitioners of at least half of these tips. Nonetheless....always good to have reminders, in case like myself, you might be holding on to resisting spending by a thread! Encouragement is good!

So which tip or tips really "hit home" with you?

Theresa :)

#2 ·
Nice article. Pay yourself first is one I need to do...Only buy what you truly need is one I find hard to do. We have so much cheap junk and pretties available to us in every store that it makes one's eyes tired just looking at it all! It really is hard to decide if a thing is something one truly needs or a convenience you could easily do without. I am working on this and buying in bulk sensibly. I tend to over buy for the two of us or buy things we may end up not actually using and that is no bargin in the long run!

#4 ·
Great article. Glad to see that we're already doing all that.

What really hit home is the garden. I chose a home that is full of shade in my back yard. I wasn't thinking long term. It's not conducive to a garden. So it bothers me somewhat. I will look into container gardening in my front yard where the sun is.

#9 ·
For me, it's the 'Question every expense' - I think that sums up almost all of the other tips in a nutshell.

Of course, closely followed by the 'Pretending to be worse off than you really are'. Always live below your means!

Thanks for a great read!

#12 ·
I can proudly say i do or have done all these things at once. The hardest for me until this year was to pay myself first. I was always taught to pay bills first. But proudly last year I got the $1000. down. This year I have a small at home efund in case ATMS go down (again) in a storm. And we are increasing our efund to $2500.
I think the multiple incomes is hard due to the economy but we are pulling for the kids to get jobs and pay us rent (20 and 22).

I would add to this Jeff Yeagers "enoughasaurus" concept to define how much is enough in life and to draw that line in the sand. This is new to me. My new mantra is dont want it,dont need it and I wont miss not having it even if it's FREE.

#14 ·
I like the Pretend You're Broke and the Pay Yourself First principles. I really need to learn to do both. Some of the commenters mentioned "Use it up, wear it out, make do or do without" which is a mantra I need to reinforce in my family's daily life!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.