Frugal Village Forums banner

Shopping List for Wants

12K views 124 replies 49 participants last post by  Debbie-cat 
#1 ·
Anyone interested in a thread to share what you're shopping for that isn't a need, but a want. I thought it would be fun to share if you're getting deals, where you're shopping &/or what's on you're list.

#2 ·
Will be following this thread.......but for me, my wants can change as I think about them and decide they aren't "really necessary" or that they are too expensive for what they are...........or ????.............Unless it is some small item I usually take some time to think it over.

As for the small items............I just yesterday fulfilled one thing. Probably wasn't much of a "need" but I wanted some more turtlenecks to go under my sweaters........got them at a thrift shop.

I sometimes do have a 'thrift shop' list................but nothing on it right now. This is usually mostly 'wants'.........as if it was a 'true need' I would go buy it.

#3 ·
FrugalFranny, my list changes pretty often depending on price & mood. Your turtleneck purchase is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about though. I want several items that I can totally do without, but would be nice to have. Currently, long johns/leggings are at the top of my list due to the cold weather we're having. I have 2 pairs, but another pair or 2 would make life easier. So, it goes on my list.

Also on my list ~ face powder, eye cream & a belt. I purchased mascara last week since mine was past its prime. I've been looking for a deal, but decided Cover Girl at Target's price was good (less that $5).

I had a Vera Bradley purse on my list for over a year & finally found one I love at a cosignment shop back in October for under $20. My wants are usually pretty small, but having a list helps me stay on track.

Reactions: NikoSan999
#4 ·
Currently, long johns/leggings are at the top of my list due to the cold weather we're having. I have 2 pairs,.
:laugh: Yeah, any cold weather can send me 'scurrying' to the thrift shops...........

I can HIGHLY rec. the brand called "Cuddle Duds'...................love them and will sometimes watch for them while in TS. I have lucked out and gotten 'enough' pairs over the years.............

They are just the BEST..........and I have tried others, including the long underwear and still come back to these..............main reason THEY ARE VERY WARM------and the best reason, they are a slick fabric and lets your pants move around---up and down---w/o also pulling down the long johns!!

They run about $20-$25 and UP at the stores.......but have found them for $5 or under at the TS...........I just wash them in HOT water and bleach when I get them home. Of course, this price is PROVIDED the TS has not had a run on them................and raised the price.

Shop for them IN SPRING............that is always when I found the cheaper prices...........just like the regular stores..........you don't shop for sweaters and long johns during the winter at the thrift shops!!!

#5 ·
I want a aviator harness for each of my parrots so I can take them outside without their carrier. They're expensive at $30 each and definitely a WANT and not a need. Every time I start saving up for one, something else that's a need gets in the way (like a vet bill that's over what's in the "vet fund" or something like a unanticipated repair). I've gotten all the way down to plugging my card number into the buy screen to order one and came to my senses. But, that's definitely something on my want list. :)

#6 ·
FrugalFranny, its funny you mention Cuddle Duds. Mine are that brand. I got them at Penney on sale Christmas 2011 (maybe $15). I'm kicking myself for not buying more when they were on clearance for $7 or less in April. Its been so cold that DH even wants long johns. Not expecting a great deal since its January, but we'll see.

OOwl, your post reminds me that my DH wants a split harness to walk our dogs with. Hope that's the right name. Anyway, it would make walks easier... adding to my list. Hope you're able to get a deal on those harnesses soon!

#7 ·
Last year I bought a radio that I use in the living room. I would love to have one for the bedroom so I don't have to move it back and forth, but this is definitely a want. I will probably get it, it not for a while. I got it at Amazon, and the price will probably just be the price whenever I get it. This is definitely the most unnecessary want on my mental list.

Also, when a good embroidery floss sale comes along, I would like to get floss for the patterns coming up next on my I-really-want-do-make-these list. I won't need it for a long time, but if I spot a 4/$1 sale, not too frequent, I'll load up. There are also a couple of patterns I'm looking at on ebay that I really like. They are computer generated and should always be available. I may order one next month to have the color list for whenever I find a good enough sale.

Two or three more platforms for my finch flight cage. That will be soon - I'll put it with a seed order a seed order, maybe in the next couple of weeks since most of what I use is 30% off right now. I'm hoping that sale lasts until after the first of the month. Even customer service couldn't tell me when it would end. "Whenever marketing decides" is what I was told. Geesh - what kind of answer is that?

#8 ·
Janie, I purchased a couple pairs of sweater tights. I figure I can wear them as tights or under pants just like long johns. Have already done this a couple of times under jeans and they work great. I figure if the foot wears I can always cut the foot off and still wear the tights more like leggings. Definately helps to keep me warm.

I need to make a list of the items I would like to purchase in the near future. It helps to keep me focused on what I need/want. A loveseat and chair are high on my list.

#12 ·
I figure if the foot wears I can always cut the foot off and still wear the tights more like leggings. Definately helps to keep me warm.
Wow! I never thought of this. I can't tell you how many sweater tights I"ve tossed because a toe poked through. Thanks for the idea! saves me a want right there.

I'll be following this thread too. I have many wants and will likely really have to think about buying them. Right now, I've been very disciplined to not buy a want and stick with the need.

Right now, I want to get all matching bins for the top of my master closet. And make it look all neet and organized. I like neat and organized. It feels good to me.

Another want is more storage bins to store some stuff in. Stuff that I'm weeding out of my life and eventually out of my house. Just not ready to make that super change just yet, so I store them in my basement until I'm ready to let go. Maybe this spring for a yardsale.

Cheers!

#9 ·
JanieD, I have a coupler for walking two dogs together somewhere. If I can find that I'll send it to you for free. I'm not using it. If I tied my dogs together for a walk, I KNOW they would fight, so I'd love to see someone actually use this. I'll PM you as soon as I locate it.

#10 ·
right now the only thing on my want but not need list is metalic sharpie markers in gold and silver. I don't even know why I want them, but they were on sale during the holidays and I didn't pick up any because I was in a hurry. When I went back they were gone, been wanting them ever since. Oh, and a set of those markers from my childhood (I think they're called Mr. Sketch) the fat ones that smell like their color (black smells like licorice, red like cherry, purple like grape, etc).

#14 ·
I want . . . to know what "sweater tights" are.

But in the possessions department, I want - an electric coffee percolator. They cost an arm and a leg here in the UK AND they're all large-size AND - how stupid is this? - the measurement-scale is on the INside of the pot, so you can only see how much you've put in by taking the lid off and looking inside. But I still want one and one of these days, I know I'll succumb.

I also want a dark navy-blue, 100% wool v-neck golfer cardigan. Since they aren't currently fashionable, there aren't any to be had, anywhere. So I won't buy one and that will save money.

I want to find a treasure at a charity shop: the treasure I'm hoping to find is a bone-china, large-size, antique breakfast cup; for my breakfast coffee (currently NOT percolated coffee).

Don't want much, do I? :lol3:

#15 ·
These are what I call sweater tights:

sweater tights - Bing Images

They are just thicker tights and can have different types of sweater stitching and designs on them. I found most of mine on sale. Definately worth it if you wear dresses/skirts or want an extra layer underneath pants in the winter time. Plus I do not have to sorry about putting on a pair of socks.

#16 ·
Gees....too bad we can't "trade" thrift shop deals or something.................I have seen the 'dog coupler' in my TS.........not often but have seen them. I got mine, years ago, at a farm supply store......under $10..........and love it. Wouldn't try to walk my two dogs any other way...........though.......A WARNING (funny one) it gets a little "hairy" when one dog wants to stop and poop............and the other one wants to keep on going!!! :laugh: More than once I have given a holler out to the dog that is 'dragging' the other............still.............I love it. Used to use two leashes.......what a pain!! (no, I don't require that my dogs "heel" while walking----though they aren't allowed to pull on the leash!)

I started a small thrift shop list after re-evaluating the turtle necks that I got.........and what colors I still needed.

#26 ·
I WAS going to purchase socks at Costco by hesitated and didn't. .
Probably five years ago I bought socks at Costco and absolutely love them. They weren't a 'really great' price at the time, I thought, but have had them this long..........all elastic is still good, and just noticed this winter that a couple pair are getting 'thin' in the heels. So not bad at all for the $! They were a 'tweedy look', wool mix, and I wasn't sure I would like them............but I do. They only came in navy blue and brown if that is a problem.

I saw the same sock again this year............so they do come back.

As for the book lovers.............might not be the exact title you want........but don't forget to check your library!! My library has three shelves and two for kids books that are to buy. These are books they are "discarding".........for whatever reason.........and sell for 25 cents-paperbacks.........50 cents hardbacks! And my library also has two sales a year...........a whole room filled with tables full of books.................love it!

#19 ·
love my cuddle duds too! you can find them at tuesday morning...jsut have to keep on lookin! cant remember how much i paid, but it wasnt much. i have also found some unworn at SA in the past.

ladies, try the new fleece lined tights! not cheap, but oh so warm!!!! warm!!!

i want an orange kate spade bag...that is a want....definitely not a need...but i want one! they are so super cute!

#22 ·
An Excaliber dehydrator
a double stack canner
a laptop
A new van w/o the payments
a fancy grinder like the wonder mill
a yrs. supply of prepper food
a place to put said food
proper wood shelving units
an assisitant to organize it w/ me (he should be hunky)
a vitamix
just doing the kitchen area

Less fun stuff
a 96% energy efficient furnace
a home make over
a new kitchen w/ brand new appliances
a new water heater
a electric fireplace insert
A mousercism is the garage!!!!!

#24 ·
I like seeing what's on everyones list. It really gets me thinking about what I want & how to get it for less. We added a dvd to our list, but plan to look for it used. There's a store we can trade our dvds/cds at. The trade in value is really low, but we're able to get something we want & declutter in the process.

I wanted to mention paperbackswap for the book lovers as an option. Its a great way to get the books you want, but can't find. You trade your books for credits & use those credits for the books you want. The only cost is to send your book (media mail just went up, but its between 2.50-2.60 for most books). I love it even though its not as cheap as the thrift store since I can certain books. I mean who doesn't love get something in the mail other than bills & junk mail.

FrugalFranny, love your warning! It will be interesting to see how our boys take to the coupler. I couldn't remember the name & called it a harness when its more like a leash. At least ya'll knew what I meant. Anyway, I never remember to look for it when we're shopping & our boys do OK without it.

#61 ·
I wanted to mention paperbackswap for the book lovers as an option. Its a great way to get the books you want, but can't find. You trade your books for credits & use those credits for the books you want. The only cost is to send your book (media mail just went up, but its between 2.50-2.60 for most books). I love it even though its not as cheap as the thrift store since I can certain books. I mean who doesn't love get something in the mail other than bills & junk mail.
I wanted to chime in that I have about 10 more credits than I'm ever going to use, so if anyone sees a book they want is available (not waitlisted) on paperbackswap, let me know, and I can get it sent to you.

#25 ·
I would like a vitamix and a yogurt maker. The yogurt maker will probably wait until next year as a Christmas want. Oh I told dh I wanted a really nice swiss army knife with a lot of gadgets tools for my Birthday. That way when ds asks me to change a battery in one of his toys I will know where my tools are to unscrew the cover off. He loves to collect knives and flashlights so I usually get what I want there.

#28 ·
unfortunately our library booksales are big business (although much less w/ kindles now)
They charge as much as $4. and more for "special books at Christmas". After the sale you can get a plastic groc. bag for $3-4. And then the book dealers come in and cart off more. The club replaces library books. If you want to be a member its like $25. a year too! Then you can come to pre sales but they want you to volunteer too.

#31 ·
Lots of cool wants here! Wow!

I still want the matching bins for the master closet and feel like I want to take a long ride to Ikea and purchase some matching bins. lol

I wanted a juicer and got a $400 Breville one. and now I don't want it.
I wanted a bike and got a $700 one and now I don't want it
I wanted a new car, and got a $23,000 one and now I wished I kept my free car.
I wanted a new wardrobe and now I don't want it
I wanted ...
I wanted ...

I have my priorities straight now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.