Frugal Village Forums banner

DD16 had her first job interview!

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  madhen 
#1 ·
Last night she went for her first job interview. The lady said it was an excellent interview, and she has thte 2nd interview this Friday.

She is pretty excited. It is only retail, but she loves their stuff, and she will get 50% discount, wtih possibly a higher discount the first month as they require her to wear their clothing. For a teen girl, this is NOT an issue..lol.

We'll know more on Friday. Dh said his sense is that she will get it. She is a pretty girl, as well as a very outgoing and sweet girl, dresses well and modestly. This will go far for a sales career for now. On top of that is she is an honor student.

I think we prepared her well for her interview. I had her update her school agenda so she'd know what days she has sports, on hand and she could easily share the information. They will ask if she owns their clothing, I told her she should be honest, she currently doesn't own any of their stuff as her last shopping was done on a trip at outlets in Florida, but that she does love what they have there. I did a walk through after she applied and about 75% of the items would be right up her style sense.

I'm excited for her. Dh had been against her working retail or restaurant, and I had to talk to him. What else will she do?? she needs to earn scholarships and work through University, she can live at home, but she needs to pay tuition, spending money. He wants her driving, so she needs to be able to pay for gas and at least part of her insurance. He started to think on it. And said she should start applying.

She has put in 4 applications last Thursday. Received 2 calls, one she turned down as they wanted her to work til 11(theatre). And then the clothing store. So we'll see :)

DD14 wants a job, but the rules here dictate she can barely work. 2hrs on weekdays, and can't cover a break, must have supervision full time by staff 18+. So for now she is babysitting for a few families. Makes good money but it's sporadic.

See less See more
#3 ·
What wonderful news! I love retail/selling and all that it involves. Looking forward to hearing more!

#4 ·
I'm proud of her!!!

When my dd had just turned 15, she came home and told her dad that he needed to go to the store around the block & across the highway from our house and sign some papers. When he asked what for, she told him that when she was walking home from school (just a few blocks) she stopped at the store & applied for the job and got it. I was proud of her too!. She would walk to the store after school & I would pick her up at night because I didn't want her crossing the highway at night, even with there being a red light. The manager was used to hiring high school kids and working around their class schedules. She was honest with them & told them she was ADHD & had a few reading problems but that no one could out work her, because she wouldn't let them! She had the job for over 4 years. Then she worked at another of their stores as an adult for over 5 years.

#5 ·
I really hope it went well for her. Please let us know how it ended :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.