Frugal Village Forums banner

How many times do you use a tea bag?

15K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  Toffeekit 
#1 ·
Just curious how many times those of you that drink tea will reuse your tea bag. I noticed yesterday that even after a second use my tea was quite strong so I am considering trying it a third time.

#2 ·
I rarely drink more than one cup in a sitting but if I do I reuse the bag. If I am making the two cups at once I use the tea bag for both cups.

#3 ·
I'll use a teabag for up to 3 cups of hot water. I then consume this all by myself, no sharing. :) hehehe

#5 ·
twice, when at home. if I'm in a restaurant where they bring a bunch of bags, and I paid for tea. Then I'll use each one. :whistle:

#6 ·
Depends on the tea bag. Some of the British teas are quite strong and could be used twice, but American tea bags are smaller and have weaker tea (and since I like it strong) I only use them once. Unless I'm making chai, and then I use 2 bags and make 4 coffee cups worth, and let it stew for hours to get it good and strong.

#9 ·
American tea is pretty bad, IMO. Lipton, especially, I don't know *what* they use but it's awful.

Try Twinings or Bigelow, available in supermarkets everywhere. You can get Taylors of Harrowgate at places like Whole Foods, but other chains might have it. Dilmah is very good, it's sold in my grocery 'health food' aisle. If you have any middle eastern groceries, check them out. There are two brands they commonly sell that are good, but I can't think of the names and haven't got any on hand. Comes in red packaging.

#13 ·
3 times for my hot tea. Dh makes the ice tea & only uses the bags once. Bigelow is the best tea. JMHO

#14 ·
As has been said, there is much variety among tea bags. Some barely make a decent mug, but then, I have a pretty big mug, and a "cup" of tea is usually construed as 6 oz. So I guess I'm sort of using it "twice and a bit" for my 14 oz mug.

I don't reuse them. I make a cup every morning, but if I make one in the evening, it has to be decaf.

Another really nice brand that many stores have - I get it at Kroger - is PG Tips. Very flavorful, large bags. Their decaf if also pretty good, if you can find it.

#15 ·
I use my tea bags until they won't tea anymore. I get three or four cups out of two Stash brand Earl Grey tea bags. I also drink my tea pretty weak. The herbal tea bags only last for like two cups. Sometimes, I can eek a third out of them. I tend to use two tea bags at a time because my tea cup is so big (32 oz canning jar with a handle).

#19 ·
I don't drink tea - yes, I know, for a Brit that is probably unheard-of, but it's true.

I do buy tea(bags) for when tea-drinkers are due as guests. What do I know about buying tea, then?? Latterly I bought The Co-operative (national chain) own-brand tea and MyLovelyMan's mother (in her 80s) said it was too strong, as a blend, undrinkable even for her. We also have Yorkshire Tea (a blend, not a tea that is grown in Yorkshire) and that, too, is a strong blend for Yorkshiremen and women. So how many cups of tea you can get from a tea-bag depends - on the blend.

I would think most American tea-drinkers would struggle with the British tea-bag's strength; but - as I say, above, what do I know about tea???

Reactions: NikoSan999
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.