Frugal Village Forums banner

Unfrugal Confessions!

8K views 86 replies 46 participants last post by  frugalwarrior2 
#1 ·
My name is Suzy and I have a confession to make.

Yesterday, I bought WASHED potatoes!

Usually I dive into the giant crate of dirty ones, with half an acre of soil still clinging to them, but this week I was tired.
I was pushing my 16wk old son around the supermarket and the small bag of washed spuds were just calling to me.

To make up for this transgression, I sat on the floor with him at home and peeled every one, to be baked and put away,
so none go to waste. He watched the whole process with great interest, so that's something.

If anyone would like to confess any unfrugal slip-ups, and possibly how they're going to make up for it, be my guest!

:)

#3 ·
We bought a brand new camper last year. Yup, we sure did! With two others already sitting in the yard at home, too. We, who never buy new vehicles due to depreciation. But it was a good decision.

To make up for it, we're watching every penny so we can recoup the money we spent. We'll be selling the two older campers in the spring, too.

#6 ·
I've gone a little crazy this winter spending money.

I've spent $2500 on dental work. Maybe that's not crazy or unfrugal. I had gum surgery last fall and now I'm having a crown done. After this I think my teeth are pretty well set for a while.

I bought a laptop ($500) and a tablet ($250). I'm usually not gadget crazy, but I decided I really wanted them. I enjoy them and have not had buyers remorse on these.

And I bought an expensive titanium bicycle ($2000). It will pay for itself (at least some) eventually as I'll ride it to work most days and all over town instead of driving the car every day.

#7 ·
Thanks for replying, although nothing too heinous yet!
I've set a savings goal for the year, so I'm still guarding every cent. I wonder how long it will last.

#9 ·
Produce has been dismal this year in my market (and the Farmers' Market, too!), so yesterday I splurged and bought fresh Brussels sprouts and fresh (washed and trimmed!) asparagus. The sprouts were not on sale and I normally would not of purchased them. We had a veggie FEAST last night (roasted with olive oil and basalmic vinegar). It was truly delicious but not frugal. Last week, I, too, purchased washed, neatly packaged potatoes. There were four GIANT baking potatoes in a little tray, already prepped for the oven, .88 for all those. They were meal-size potatoes. I didn't feel a bit guilty about it either. :)

#11 ·
"with half an acre of soil still clinging to them....." :laugh:

I'm still cleaning up coffee from my laptop after that one, Suz! You cracked me up!

I got some groceries for my Mom this week, after bringing her home from the hospital. (dizziness, that turned out to be Meniere's disease--an inner ear problem) I got a couple of items for her just because I 'wanted' her to have them. She has had so little luxuries in her life. But that, in itself, is making up for it, I guess.....

#13 ·
Yep, sitting here eating bakery bagels. They were on sale buy 6 get 6 free but they marked up the price before the sale so I still paid 4.30 for a dozen. I usually buy Aldi but wanted a treat as I don't eat sugar or white flour more than once a week.

Last week was awful money wise as DH's cousin from MN came to visit for 4 days with 2 kids so dh and them went skiing two days at one of the more expensive resorts. Plus I fed them all(big seafood night one night). In almost 12 years we've lived here only his mom has come to visit so I had no problem forking out the money.

#16 ·
I have to admit to doing unfrugal things :). I buy baby carrots, shredded lettuce (never need a whole head), pre-cut celery (never need a whole one), salad by the bag (only when they have them BOGO), smoke cigarettes and gamble.

#19 ·
Some days............you just 'gotta do what you gotta do'..............and life goes on..........

I have lots to confess but it would take too long...........most of mine--right now---are around FOOD or hobbies......and it always seems to be 'the little bits of money' that I can ignore. (knowing those can bust the budget just as fast!) I have a really hard time spending LARGE amts. on something that I might call "frivolous"..........

I have gone out to eat more in the last year than I probably did in the prior two years COMBINED!!! And very little of it has been fast food.........since our fast food is now just as expensive as a sit down at a 'down home' restaurant. So these haven't been 'elegant' dinners just stops where we could sit and visit!

#20 ·
First of all I want to say that the fact you consider things as food as unfrugal, means you are really thinking frugal mostly.

My splurge is 3 books from my favourite author. I did however not buy them in Dutch, which would have cost me 60€ because they are rare, but bought them in English, which cost me about half, being delivered at home. Now let's wait till they arrive :).

#23 ·
$7.00 Gasp Gasp the amount I spent on a salad which I ate all in one meal (not much there)...it was sooo yummy but RIDICULOUS to spend not once but twice this week....The CRAZY thing is I had groceries at home ....

#25 ·
I have a bad one. I'm most likely going to buy a new sewing machine in the next couple weeks. I've known this would happen for the past five years or so, and now seems like the time. So there will go a thousand dollars or more. But I'm hoping it'll be the last one I ever buy. If it lasts as long as the current one which I bought in 1986, it will be.

I'm not sure that's really unfrugal though. I paid $1,200 for the current one in 1986. My husband had just gotten a job requiring him to wear suits, back when suits were not made in China and they cost a lot more then. That machine paid for itself the first six months I had it, just because of sewing suits, plus I sewed most of the clothes for eight kids and myself, too. It was an expensive machine, but it doesn't owe me a dime and hasn't for many years. I would expect the new one to pay for itself over time too, although it would take longer these days when our needs are so much less.

#26 ·
I still have a cleaning lady.. and I'm not doing anything to fix it either. lol!
I love it. :D

#27 ·
I purchased new bedding. Nothing really wrong with the other bedding just decided it was to loud and not relaxing to look at. Am very happy with what I have now. But did I really NEED it, no. Sometimes I will go by the salad bar at the grocery store and actually purchase some lettuce and extra fixings for a salad. Know it is cheaper to buy the whole head of lettuce but right now I really do not want to eat salad for a week.

#28 ·
I just bought a Roomba vacuum cleaner!
I have 3 other vacuums - upright, canister and stick vac - no way I needed this.
I have cats in the house. I need to vacuum at least twice a week.
But I'm lazy!!

I love my Roomba. I just pick up anything it might get hung up on, sit it in the middle of the room, punch the "clean" button, and find something else to do. And a lot of time, that "something else to do" is reading a book, watching TV, etc.

#29 ·
even though I don't have a pet right now, I don't consider spending on pets to be "unfrugal", unless you are getting them tiaras and pedicures and such. They are so much a part of many people's lives and families.

I have to confess to spending more for good coffee (ground or beans, not liquid). I only drink one cup a day so I want the good stuff, not the big plastic canister.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.