Frugal Village Forums banner

WHOOT!!! My utility bill..............

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  nodmicks 
#1 ·
is dropping. :tay: I think we have turned the corner for 'winter' heating bills and I am more than thrilled. Last year I only had one bill that was over $100--------(gas and elec. on one bill, and have gas heating, hot water)------but the one that was under $100 was only $98.. but HEY, I will take what I can get.

My utility bill has a graph on it comparing this year with last year for usage and also comparing temps.........like that feature!

Sooooooo.......just got my latest utility bill, after last months was over $100 (just by a little bit), and I dropped to $89!!! I WILL TAKE IT!!
Especially since the graph stated that we have been colder this year when compared to last.............:tay:

Not to mention their 10% INCREASE---think it was----that they were granted and it took effect last fall.

I THINK SPRING MIGHT BE COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
Does anyone know what the "fuel charge" is for? Our bill was $100.32 total and only $60.11 was for actual energy charge. Then there's $28.94 for fuel charge....along with the $8.76 for customer charge I guess for the privilege of having them and a $2.51 gross receipts tax. So what is the fuel charge for...anyone?

Congratulations on the lower bill!

#6 ·
I don't have one.....and have never heard of this.........and you didn't say what type of heat (fuel)..............oil??????? gas?????? what type of energy?

Could it be something along this line.........quote: The gas and electric charges found on your CPS Energy bill are made up of two main parts: the base rate and a fuel adjustment.
A fuel adjustment charge is set each month to recover variances in fuel costs. For the natural gas rate, it includes the Service Availability Charge and the Energy Charge.

The back of your bill might explain it................that is one heck of a fuel charge!!

Here is the article....but might not be your utility co........just thought it might be something similar........

Fuel and Regulatory Charges

#4 ·
You have got to love those lower bills! That is spectacular you saw a drop!!!! Did you let a holler of Yahoo???? Our last one was $222 for electric and gas. Our rates are always raising. Our home is well insulated and our furnace is 61 all but 2 hours in the morning and between 3pm and 8pm.

Niko I have no idea what that is. Ours had all kinds of odd fees. I called on one quite a while back that said " low income assist". I thought it was a credit and didn't think I should be getting it and didn't want to be cheating anyone. It is 3.5% of the bill. The lady explained it was a CHARGE to help them pay with low income peoples bills and everyone HAD to pay it. MANDATORY. They send out fliers with lots of our bills asking us to contribute to the heat assist program and we have. I was kind of stunned to realize not only have we been supporting the heat assist fund but paying a mandatory heat assist tax. I thought the consumers should have a choice if they would like to donate. Besides the same people that need the assistance are being forced to pay part of their own assistance. Those few dollars in tax might be very important in someones budget. Confusing to me.

#5 ·
My electric is lower than the water/sewer bill during the winter, last electric was $85. Water was $118!! I love the low electric bill!! I need to get back on a budget because I budget high for electric and would have some extra left over for savings. Unfortunately my electric will be increasing as it heats up. Hopefully after I get a new AC unit it will go down though. Keep enjoying your low bills!! :)

#8 ·
Niko:
Fuel adjustment charges are established on an annual basis by the Florida Public Service Commission (FPSC) for private investor-owned utility companies. The fuel adjustment reflects rising and falling fuel costs. Companies do not receive any profit from the recovery of fuel cost on customer bills. It is based on the actual expenses associated with the fuel used to generate electricity and other related fuel costs and is collected through a cents per kilowatt-hour use charge.
The current fuel cost recovery procedure establishes an annual fixed fuel charge based on projected fuel costs for that period. The charges are the subject of extensive hearings, in which all aspects of the projections and fuel cost data are thoroughly studied before a new fuel cost is approved by the FPSC. At the end of the fuel cost period for that year, the actual cost is calculated. If the previous fuel cost projection was too low, the shortfall will be added to the amount to be recovered in the next period. If the fuel cost projections were too high, the excess will reduce the fuel cost in the next period. (Note: Over or under collection is a credit or debit to the amount to be collected the next period. The total fuel factor may go up or down regardless of whether there was an over or under collection in the prior period.)
Fuel cost recovery is used as a means of adjusting fluctuating fuel costs. It is recognized by virtually all state utility commissions, by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission , and by city electric utilities and rural electric cooperatives. The fuel cost revenue does not add to the profit of the utility companies, but goes to pay fuel suppliers and transporters. It is audited to verify compliance with the prescribed formula and to verify that revenue does not exceed actual fuel costs
In shorthand. Just another way to charge you. lol

FF! wtg on keeping the fuel costs down! woohoo!!! I'm sooooooo looking forward to the spring! Welcome March!

Reactions: NikoSan999
#9 ·
Same here! Last month my electricity bill was OVER $100. It is never over $100 in the winter (we have natural gas heat and water heater). The only difference - we put up a Christmas tree for the first time since we have been in this house! Most recent electricity bill - $68, oh yeah baby. That is more like it.

#11 ·
Mines still laying here so....

First 1000 KWH 7.047
Above 1000 8.282

Fuel charge
First 1000 3.393
Above 1000 4.393

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.