Frugal Village Forums banner

How are you dealing with higher prices?

12K views 75 replies 40 participants last post by  frugalwarrior2 
#1 ·
Want to share how you're working those higher prices into your budget? Whether its higher gas price or groceries, heating costs or other living expenses, please share what's working for you.

Have you increased some areas to accommodate higher prices & cutting others? Is it reasonable to have to same budget each month or as last year w/price increases?

#2 ·
I have to admit - nothing's actually "working" for me. I am aware of higher utilities' costs and higher fuel (petrol, diesel) prices every time I pass a filling station but there's no alternative, other than tightening my belt where I can.

I've found paying with cash as much as possible helps me stay focused on the need to tighten my belt: I feel very uncomfortable, using my credit card whereas with cash, I "feel" every penny. One thing that is happening, is that I am not spending on unnecessary items, whereas previously I didn't give most things a second thought.

#3 ·
We sold the stock we had and stopped contributing to snowball more debt and compensate for the 2% rate "hike" in SSI

I am buying clearance bread and 1 gallon less milk per week.
I have been staying home and cleaning the kitchen for 2 weeks straight to reorg. As I plan to make bread,cakes at home

I am continuing to hyper pay debt/save
We arent eating out as much

I am pretty good at shifting things. Eventually the kids will move out and we will go down to one car,finish the last small bit of the 2nd mortgage.

#4 · (Edited)
Higher costs of things...

Gasoline...less trips to town for me. Like 2 x a week instead of 3 or 4. List so things do not get forgotten.

Food...things that are on special. Or marked down. I use Aldi's and the dollar store the most. Then Sav A Lot. Only a few food items, have to get bought no matter the price. Like milk and white bread for him.I may at some point start making white bread again. If low on milk, I do use powdered for cooking or baking. Scratch cooking / baking.

Chicken grain...I get most of what I need now from a local farmer. Cannot afford the store prices. The wild bird seed just went up again,
and I told him to mix half cracked corn in the feed can, or the bird seed won't be part of this budget. The chickens lay eggs and so far,
we are matching their grain costs. If I can't sell enough eggs, then I reduce the flock going into next winter. Also we will grow what we can
for the birds this summer. Food for the dogs is about half homemade / half storebought. It is what it is with a old spoiled dog, and a fast growing big puppy.

Garden will hopefully be a bit bigger and I will can and freeze the surplus again. Recently I have seen canned vegtables in two different stores for $ 1 per can. That is mind boggling to me. I won't pay that for a 15 oz can.

Heating costs. We went to a outside wood boiler about 4 years ago. One of the most frugal and smart things we have done here. Propane would be pushing $ 2000 now for the year ,and the wood is $ 500 or less. Big difference.

Other items we need. Garage sales or thrift shops. If not finding, then a trip to a regular store for new. Use it up, wear it out, and or go without.

Eating out is 1x a month for the both of us. Sometimes it is only 1x every other month.

Cash is king. Trying to figure out things to barter in the future.

I do say NO to the hubby a lot. We need to plan to fit things into our budget. Things have to be on a list and what is priority has to be first. His list of wants always used to get priority, now I either make him wait it out, or just plain say no.

And I put together a EF last year. It's mine, and he doesn't know it exists. Or it would have been spent long ago. My protection for our budget if something really goes wrong.

Electric is $ 110 a month or less. Summers even lower. I read the meter every day and log into my notebook. Hanging about half the clothes in the winter.

#5 ·
The gas bill bill has been awful for the last 2 months..the electric has not been much better. 600 for the both the last 2 months..I am trying to keep the heat setting at 71, putting an extra blankets on the bed..wearing sweaters and socks and warmer clothes in the house.

I am always going after everyone to turn the tv off in the kitchen and the lights off..but I am fighting a losing battle...it seems..

I only buy what is on sale...and I buy enough to do a while until next cycle when it comes on sale again...

I think everyone is feeling the pinch..

I am thinking about giving up my lysol wipe addiction for paper towels and vinegar and water spray...
we are recycling towels..
eating leftovers
we never go out anymore used to be a couple times a month, now once every couple months....
making more of my home made snacks..
making my own Take out food....

anyone else.....

#6 ·
OM-dollar store spray bottle 1 part bleach/5 parts water. No wipes to use up garbage bag space. I turn the heat off at nught and run an intermittent space heater

LTD=too true. I constantly try to figure out ways to pay less interst as I snowball that last $30,000 in debt.
And yes I am the lights Nazi. I even count as i turn them out. (sometimes I laugh maniacally lol)

#9 ·
Have been buying less meat...or only buying is on discount. No more sandwich deli meats in this house...roast beef per 100 grams it 2.99....or I can buy a 2.5 pound beef roast...for 9 bucks...feed the family and use leftovers for sandmeat. Buying 1- 4L of milk a week...when it's gone I will mix up powdered milk to see Us till it is time to shop again...lots of apples...go through a 6 LB bag a week...since that usually runs about 5 bucks...or .80 a LB.

#10 ·
Making a list and sticking to it
Asking myself , Is this purchase truly necessary.
Renting from Redbox and making popcorn at home instead of going to cinema
Taking leftovers to work the next day as not to waste food and save money.
Drinking more water and not purchasing soda.
Being more conscientious about lights on, decreasing temp of house, water use etc.
Watching gas prices and filling up when we find a new low price. Collaborating our errands so we don't use as much gas)
Eating out less and making more food from scratch.
Trim my own bangs. Color my own hair.
I think twice about using paper towels if not necessary.
Buying more ground beef and using cheaper cuts of meat, using up what is in the freezer (like venison).
I don't automatically put my clothes in dirty clothes hamper, more conscious if really needs to be washed.
Speaking to my DD and DS about frugality and giving them more responsibilty for their bills.
I am new at trying to live frugally. These are changes I have made in past couple weeks.

#14 ·
Driving less
Working more
Planning every purchase to the exact
Letting nothing I already own go to waste
Monitoring the utilities like a hawk
Wearing clothes as long as possible to cut down on laundry
Cooking more homemade items & baking more treats
Eating everything at home
Doing everything myself that I humanly can
Reading & learning everything that I can to stretch those $$'s till they scream

Planning an even larger garden for this summer - this will stretch the food budget, give me more items to barter with & more items to sell at the Farmers Market

Clearing out the craft closet, and getting everything finished for my booth at the Farmers Market this summer. Doing lots of research on new ideas for the booth.

Keeping up with surveys for extra cash, and mystery shopping.

Coming to terms with all my unnecessary clutter and my attachment to it - slowly weeding out items to go into my garage sale pile.

#15 ·
Great question :)

* I am on the budget plan for utilities but can see by my carry over balance I will be getting a big statement at the end of the year and therefore my "budget" payments will increase.

* I have kept my grocery budget the same. Trying to eat at home as much as possible. Have done some freezer cooking. Making homemade snacks. I've got a recipe to make my own salad dressing. Also, planning to plant a big garden this year. Going to focus on produce that will hopefully grow well and is most expensive @ the grocery like tomatos.

* Selling a few items on ebay to increase income... it's not alot but every bit helps.

* Gas. Oy. I think I am going to have to up the budget on this one.... we are @ $3.83/gallon as of today. Once ski season is over our gas expense will fall a bit since DH won't be driving up to the mountains. I combine errands as much as I can

* I signed up for flex spending to help with the medical costs... again it's not much but every penny helps

* we refinanced a couple months ago... so we are reallocatting those funds as thoughtfully as possible

* I don't keep a roll of paper towels out in the kitchen. I have found out of site out of mind and grab a dishtowel.

#16 ·
Ways i am that i am dealing with higher prices

At least one dinner a week is breakfast meaning eggs and toast or pancakes
Doing more scratch cooking like muffins, granola bars, cookies
Trying not to waste food
Shopping for two weeks when buying groceries and no running to the store to pick up something on a whim.
I feel i have a fair amount of hba's and food stockpiled so that helps with my budget.

If needed i could cut more expenses to make the ends meet, which may happen if costs continue to climb

#17 ·
I;m making one gallon of gas last a month. I stay home or combine errands and plot my course.

I stay within my allowance.

I am buying more whole unprocessed foods and have started to get the stockpile going again. Making my own mixes and breads etc.

Menu plan and do a lot of OAMC

Watching the utilities

Starting a garden this year but I need all the luck I can get.

Working hard on the debt snowball. One debt paid off this year already and now onto the next.

The biggest thing is just staying home. No gas, no eating out, no unplanned spending if you just stay home and work your hobbies, watch netflix or work in the yard or housework. I enjoy me OAMC days and the days I make mixes or pull out the bread machine and make cinnamon rolls.

#18 ·
, please share what's working for you.

Have you increased some areas to accommodate higher prices
With groceries................NOTHING IS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!! AND I AM MAD AND NOT GOING TO BUY SOME THINGS ANY MORE..............:thud:

Went to the store yesterday, after not going for about two weeks.................AND MY FAVORITE BREAD WENT UP..............it has gone beyond my price point and I am not buying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :weeping: I am hoping that it will come down.............will watch it. The Jimmy Dean Sausage did this over a year ago-----after I had raised my price to $2.50----only when DESPERATE and needing it for soup......but now it is down to $1.88...........that I will do.

The bread is one that just wouldn't be worth my time (and expense) to experiment with and get a good recipe..........it is a five seed bread..........and has sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds...........and couple others that I forget...........and some of those aren't so cheap to be "experimenting" with..........so I will "wait the price out"...............( I think)

#22 ·
The Jimmy Dean Sausage did this over a year ago-----after I had raised my price to $2.50----only when DESPERATE and needing it for soup......but now it is down to $1.88...........that I will do.
Jimmy Dean sausage....$3 here...$2.50 on sale

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#20 ·
I won't have to 'cut back' on bread............will just have to quit buying that kind. I see the prices that some of you post for bread and feel pretty lucky here.

We do have some good bread bakeries here..........REALLY GOOD ONES (mostly out of Portland or Seattle)...........and I haven't been to the outlet store in months.........if not over a year.

My limit for my bread was $2.75---it was $2.57 last time I bought it..........over a month ago (put one in the freezer)..........and it was $2.78.........I won't do it!!

Truthfully.........I can find the good stuff right around $2.........and probably close to $1.50 if I watch for sales............I haven't been.

#21 ·
UGH...Double post

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#23 ·
I've cut back on meat. When something calls for a pound of beef I'll use 3/4 pound, etc. tonight we had tomato soup and PB sammies. Once a week we have meatless breakfast for supper. Making more casserole type dishes with less meat. I make most of my own mixes so that helps. I don't buy Hamburger Helper, brownie mixes, etc. make my own shower cleaner, etc. lots of changes here. Stay home most days.

#24 ·
We make sure we use the woodburner as often as we can!
This week I only needed a few things from the grocery, so I grabbed those items before work.
Lately, if I'm not at work, I'm at home. This is very difficult for me! I'm not a homebody.
I did have to raise my grocery budget $20 weekly :(

#25 ·
Watching all the sales.Buying meat at Krogers on Monday in the markdown case...Makeing a trip to town to do more things so less gas..Have a set loop when I go to town...Still cooking from scratch..No eating out any more..Watching my utilies..If it isn't in use turn it off...Going to try to garden this summer..Doing my own repaires on the house..Makeing sure BF has something for lunch...If I don't have left overs I always keep 6 or 8 frozen meals that I had earlyer left overs..Mend cloths as soon as they come out of the laundery..

#26 ·
We are buying more stuff on sale,
watching prices a lot closer
stocking up when things are on sale,
dehydrating, canning or freezing anything in the fridge that is not getting used or when I need to make room in the freezer for new treasures
buying discounted meats
trying to drive less
Buying more Bountiful Baskets instead of going to the grocery store.
We are planning on increasing the size of the garden.
Stretching things as far as we can.

#28 ·
You mean after I stop crying?

We drive as little as possible. DD13's soccer is killing us in the driving aspect. She plays at the highest level and has practices 3x/week plus games. Practices move around, but most are more than 30 miles away. This week we've had conflicts and weather which has meant no practice and I am happy because I have not had to put any gas in my car. Of course she is miserable because she wants to practice and they need to get ready for the state tournament next month. Other than her practices we can generally stay within a 5 mile radius for everything else.

We already switched to CFL bulbs and I am starting to transition to LED bulbs. We use a few lights as possible, but have had so many cloudy days this winter it has been difficult to use a lot of natural light.

Groceries we have kept cutting and cutting. Prepared foods are always on the chopping block. I can only buy meat when it is on sale or marked down for quick sale, and then I buy the most versatile pieces. Since ground beef has been over $4/lb for the cheap stuff, I have been buying chuck roasts on sale for around $2.60-$2.90/lb and grinding it myself. Last week whole chickens were 0.67/lb and I picked up five. We also have at least one meatless night, if not two per week. We have a garden which supplements our veggies during the summer. Last year I learned how to can and put up a supply of tomato products that we are only now running out of. I will do it again this year and branch out into several other products. I can get bulk, canning-quality produce from the farmer's market. Of course we also have our four hens. We considered increasing the flock this year, but decided against it with the cost of feed. To supplement the feed we give them certain leftovers and I let them free range in the woods a little while each day. They are giving us at least 3, more often 4, eggs per day. No more cold cereal for us this year, unless people have given us boxes. Out of our price range. I bought a toaster at goodwill and we are eating toast with pb or homemade jellies, oatmeal, homemade pancakes/waffles. Chips and other snack foods have been replaced with popcorn and in season raw veggies. My kids discovered last year that they love fresh picked pea pods as a snack and were excited when I planted twice as many rows this year.

I started this year making our own laundry detergent and just recently started using baking soda and vinegar to wash my hair. So far I am pleased with the results of both these changes. I have not been able to hang clothes outside as much this winter thanks to our weather. I put up a line in the bathroom and can hang some of our clothes, but am looking forward to hanging more as the weather gets warmers/drier.

I am working much harder and doing more, but I think it is only treading water. I am keeping us going, but we are not getting anywhere.

#29 ·
I just keep pinching a bit here and a bit there. With groceries it has to be on sale, marked down, or otherwise reduced. I haven't seen a coupon worth the paper it was printed on in ages. I've stopped going to Whole Food altogether. Trader Joes is closer and has better values. DH used to like their bulk nuts but I can get them at Aldi now. Shopping more stores to take advantage of discounts, there is a cluster of 3 within half a mile of each other so I don't have to drive all over.

Been eating off the stockpile over a year now. Had so much food put away it was getting freezer burned before we could eat it, so I really really cut back on buying meats. The exception is chicken and I stock up when it goes on sale under $2/lb.

Somethings I just do not buy any more, they have become luxury items. Packaged chips for one. Now I do more packing for DH's lunches. Almost given up on english muffins, nearly $4 for 6 muffins, I might as well go out to one of the gourmet bakeries and buy them.

Actually using the grocery promo gas card. I won't buy a $3 item to get a 2c discount on gas, but if it is something we needed anyway... Used to just blow off the discount.

Put up more freezer meals for when I am tired, so dinner can be easy instead of having to go out to eat.

Staying home more, the winter weather has made that easy this year.

Getting more books from the library. We used to buy them used, but for a novel I'll only read once, I can't see the point. If I buy it, it ends up in an unsightly pile somewhere in the house. Trying to get DH on board here.

In the sewing and hobby rooms I'm still stash-busting. Finding something that will work and using what we have first before going out and buying something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.