Frugal Village Forums banner

First Step to Frugal Living

8K views 40 replies 32 participants last post by  katkat777 
#1 ·
I watch for sales and try to get the best deal but am not REALLY frugal. I want/need to change that. What would be some advice/tips that y'all have for someone trying to make some serious life changes? Did any of y'all make a complete transition from *blush* wasteful ways into a life of frugality?

#2 ·
I know for us the first step was "knowing" our money. By that I mean, knowing what comes in versus what goes out, tracking everything we spent for several months because in all honesty what we would write on paper wasn't always what we spent. Best of intentions can still lead to spending you might not even know you are doing. We live on a zero based budget each month, every penny is accounted for. It is something we sit and talk about every single month.

#3 ·
For us it was an abrupt change. DH was out of work and we ran out of money. I had to make every dollar count. I had to make sure we didn't waste what we already had (food, clothing, tools, car, etc). It's not always about the sales. There was a lot on sale at the grocery store this week that I didn't need, so I didn't spend the money. Likewise, I don't need new shoes, or a purse, or a bunch of plastic Easter decorations, no matter what the "deal" is.

#4 ·
I have a whole article called "Step Down to Savings" which has been printed and re-printed a few time on various places on the internet. The concept is simple ... keep "stepping down" to a more frugal way of life then when you get to a point where you reach an uncomfortable or unsustainable level, go back to the level that you can maintain.

For instance (oh my gosh, there are so many examples that I could use; where to start?):

Let's say you want to be frugal by eliminating disposable paper products. You do a survey are realize that you use paper plates daily for your toddler's lunch, your husband takes a paper to-go cup of coffee to the office daily, you go through a roll of paper towels a week, boxes of facial tissues are scattered through out the house and used for every conceivable reason from wiping noses to killing spiders, and of course there is the TP usage.

So you buy a couple of cute plastic plates for your child's lunch. You tear up old clothes to make a rag bag. You switch your husband to a washable travel mug. You learn to drain fried items on a wire rack, not a paper towel. You make a few fabric napkins and suggest to your mom that more napkins would make the perfect Christmas gift this year. When the boxes of facial tissue go empty, you don't replace them. No one notices. If they say anything you suggest they use a handkerchief or some TP from the bathroom. You realize that fly swatters are also handy for killing spiders. You start to buy the TP that you can get with a coupon then realize that one no-name brand is just as good and is always cheaper anyway so you begin to buy that instead.

So far, so good.

You decide to keep going and try to eliminate all paper products. You stop writing checks. You send long, wordy e-mails instead of letters. You 'forget' to mail out Christmas cards or birthday cards. You use fabric gift bags instead of wrapping paper. You cancel the newspaper and when magazine subscriptions expire, you don't renew. Your baby is in cloth diapers and you buy a "Diva cup" for your "monthlies".

You begin to toy with the idea of giving each family member an assigned "rag" for use in the bathroom along with a squirt bottle of water so they can rinse after using the toilet. Before the family thought you were just a bit quirky but they put their foot down at this suggestion. Your teenagers starts to go to the neighbor's house to use their bathroom and your younger child begins to tell his teacher at school that your family is "too poor" to buy TP. You have officially reached your level of discomfort.

Back up a step and start buying generic TP again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Constantly evaluate how you're spending your money and ask yourself if you can avoid spending, delay spending or spend in a more frugal way. So many people assume that much of their budget items are fixed expenses. For instance, people will often budget based on their "net" paycheck (that is the amount of money you receive after all the taxes and other deductions are taken out). I recommend that you budget on your gross paycheck. Evaluate your taxes periodically. If you get a big refund every year, stop giving the government an interest-free loan and adjust your withholding so you have access to that money now. Can you make better benefit decisions so you don't have to pay so much for health insurance through your employer? Is that second job really worth it? Is the over-time? Have you ever appealed the assessment on your house to lower your property taxes? When was the last time you asked other companies to quote you on auto insurance? Do you need life insurance? Wouldn't a term life insurance policy get you more insurance for less money? Are you wisely using the money in your health savings account? Are you taking advantage of your company's 401k? Would lowering your house insurance premiums result in a lowering of your mortgage payment because they would require less for the escrow portion?

Keep asking. Keep evaluating.

#7 ·
My advice for someone wanting to make serious life changes would be to pick just one area of their finances and work on it. I found for myself when I focused on one area at a time I gained traction. For instance when I focussed on lowering my grocery bill, I scoured this site as well as other sites on how to eat healthier AND cheaper. I then compiled the tips and slowly began implementing them.

#10 ·
Wow! What WONDERFUL advice!
Calimom-that is a necessity and hopefully something I will do today. I'm HORRIBLE at tracking my money, I guess I'm just in denial not really wanting to know how bad things are.
CookieLee, I'm with Debbie and would LOVE a copy of that article (please).
Lucky, that is something I have to work on. I'm bad about "slipping" then just giving up :-/ I was hoping that by joining this community I would gain some encouragement and accountability partners.
Lara, that is smart advice. I tend to jump in and try to do everything at once then end up overwhelmed!
Brenda, TY!!!! I am a major bookworm (I majored in English) and LOVE to read new books; that one sounds really insightful!
Brat-I hate that for you! My husband is VERY supportive (as you said yours was) and thankfully that is all I have to worry about! Maybe we can keep putting tips on here that work for all of us.

Y'all are awesome! Thank you!

#11 ·
well I am late to the party as usual...

all these wise ladies gave u wonderful advice...

I would start in one or two areas..turn the heat down or the air up a degree..turn off the lights..these are things u can do with out your family even noticing.

buy products on sale and stockpile..shop and menu plan from your own pantry

I hang the majority of our laundry it saves us a bundle....

I have started making more of my own cleaning supplies and this save me a few bucks every month.

it is about your and the families comfort level..

hugs and good luck..

#12 ·
Welcome

OM, how can you possibly be late when this party has just begun?

The first thing I did was keep track of every penny we spent - that type of thinking works for me. The whole process is so personal and you have already been gifted an amazing amount of wonderful advice - including choose what works for you and go for it! And stay with it and us, even when you slip!

#13 ·
Re: paper products I hadn't thought about checks and wrapping paper as being 'paper products' that's a useful way to look at it.
For TP I use a basket full of cloth wipes cut from t-shirt material in place of TP for number one. I put the used ones in a step-lid trashcan and wash them to reuse. This has a similar sanitary effect as toilet paper without the paper waste. Plus, no bits of paper clinging!

#14 ·
I also agree about the focus.
Maybe paper products one week,
electric use another week
food
transportation, including calling your car ins co to ask about any discounts you may qualify for
entertainment

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#18 ·
Great advice.

I'm here to welcome you into the community.
Please stay and learn and contribute.

Come in, have a cup of tea or coffee, sit, and enjoy the conversation.
It's nice to meet you :). We look forward to watching you grow in frugality.

Ps. I use cloth TP. It's very comfy and cleaner. No dingleberries.

#19 ·
Technically, you should track your money and see where it all goes and adjust your spending, cut where it's needed, and etc. Not to be full of excuses or lack of effort, that does not work well for me and my husband, we differ widely on thoughts of spending money (i.e. last time we did this together, there was a huge fallout on him buying a pair of $130 pair of boots and my $6 package of tampons.......).

For me I decided I needed to change the way we are living, period! I came to this conclusion a few weeks ago (I fell off the frugal wagon HARD!)- I came home from work exhausted (mentally), to a messy house with loads of clean laundry taking over the 1 couch (that needed to be folded), to a hungry husband and child asking what's for dinner, my response was 'we are going out to eat'. While we were out eating, mind you the third time that week, when we got the bill I figured that we almost spent half my pay in 3 days going out to eat (my husband enjoyed 3 steak dinners that week). I got my job so we would have insurance and money to set aside for remodeling the house, not to go out to eat! So I decided, I need to 'Live Simply'. If we live simply, we would have less stuff, be more organized, less cleaning to do, and have more money. I am starting to declutter, making menus for the week (although we did go out to eat two times since then). I have noticed the more organized I get the better we manage and save our money. I work hard for my money, I want it to work for me!

As for looking for sales and such, I really don't have too much time to shop around for deals. I just know sometimes for us, quality over quantity works. I will try to find deals on some things but know where not to waste money. My youngest loves Justice clothing, I know at a local Goodwill I can get her a few outfits for half the price of 1 outfit at the store (or only shop the clearance racks). My oldest has an odd body type, very short with hips and a butt (but of course she is a size 0), we know of 2 brands that fit her very well without alterations, those are the only pants we will purchase for her, she may only get 2 pairs, but we know those 2 pairs will fit and not be a waste of money.

#23 ·
Soon it will be so easy that you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner..
Agree...after a while the things begin to be a habit and you won't even have to think about some things. They just come natural. Also if you kinda make a "game" out of it it will help. Like the electric bill..."Can I beat/lower this months bill from last months". " I spent X amount of dollars last month on groceries etc....can I beat that this month". Make a game out of it. It becomes habit.

A few others....
Can I wait one more day on running the dishwasher? Maybe 2?
Washer...Is that REALLY a full load or can I get a couple more things in it or wait to run it until I DO have a few more things.
Is that light being on REALLY necessary?
Will we survive if we wait another hour before the TV goes on. 1 hour times 30 days a month is 30 hours...think about it.

#21 ·
Did any of y'all make a complete transition from *blush* wasteful ways into a life of frugality?
No, mine wasn't abrupt but it was very necessary. I wouldn't rec. doing this quickly.....just as fast as you can.

Some great advice has been given........especially about trying things and doing what works for you. Some things won't work, just make sure it is not being 'justified away' so you won't have to do it.

but one thing, get your mind with the program. Set "reachable" goals. Do whatever it takes for you to get your mind into it and it will then become second nature..........or you will be VERY AWARE of when you have "fallen".

Ask yourself this...................do you want to go on living like you are for the rest of your life??? If your habits don't change........you will. And GET THE FAMILY ON BOARD with it............then things go faster.

#22 ·
You've received a lot of really good advice here.

Our move to frugality was gradual really. There was an awareness and I was trying some things out. Then DH lost his job and we had to be frugal. but it wasn't until we moved and I found "The Complete Tightwad Gazette" by Amy Dacyczyn that I decided to make frugal living a lifestyle choice. It totally changed the way I thought about money and possessions.

My advice is to set small goals, like to save $1000 this year. Once I had a dollar figure it forced me to cost things out so I could see what I was really spending on things. I actually saved over $5000 the first year I was on the frugal bandwagon. I was that wasteful!

Also, I suggest you not only look at what you can eliminate, but also what you can cut back. For example, we cannot eliminate our heating bill, but we can cut back by turning it down. We also saved hundreds of dollars by changing our phone plan.

I would eliminate things like soda and cigarettes, for example. They cost a bundle and are not healthy for you. Unhealthy things are first on my things to go list.

Also, as you can see, I consider non-discretionary as well as discretionary budget categories for cutting in. Non-discretionary is something you have to have to live. But you might be able to get it at a cheaper price somewhere else, or negotiate a less costly plan. Discretionary items are things that you could probably do without, but that improve your quality of life. These are things you can often pick up for free or next to it, or just not pick up at all! Depends on how much clutter you want in your life and how much money you want to part with.

Those are my general tips. Specific tips can be found all over this website. Poke around and explore, ask questions, and you'll learn a lot.

Good luck and have fun on your frugal journey. :)

#24 ·
Another tip that I don't think anyone suggested - see how long you can go w/o something.

Example: You've run out of pasta, ground beef, bread and spices. Substitute rice, ground turkey, buns and other spices. Use what you've got instead of focusing on what you don't have.

Same with HBA - do you really need to use/buy hairspray or gel? Can you go w/o it? AND if you can't go w/o it, can you use less for the same effect? How low can you go? ;)

And always compare the price & nutrition of generic brands vs brand names...sometimes the generics are better for you and actually taste better or you can jazz them up to your liking with something you already have on hand.

#27 ·
Amy dacyzn has a page in her book called "cheap, cheaper, cheapest"

Example- I used to use noxema razors and skintimate cream. I stepped down to double blades and generic shave cream. Now I am at "cheapest" and I use bar soap (from a 3 for one buck pack at dollar tree) and a single blade razor that I get for 10 cents per shaver.

That's as low as I feel comfortable with, and still get smooth non irritated results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.