Frugal Village Forums banner

Cleaning the dishwasher

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jettsmom 
#1 ·
There's a persistent idea on the internet that if you run your dishwasher empty with two packs of lemon Kool-aid (no sugar)it will clean the dishwasher.

That seems unlikely to me. If it's a matter of acidity, surely vinegar would be more effect.

Has anyone here ever tried the Koolaid thing? If so how did it turn out?
If not, how do you clean the inside of your dishwasher?

TIA

#2 ·
I think it has something to do with the citric acid? I found these link that may help explain further. I just might have to try this trick myself. Especially since it only costs $0.20/load vs the Finish Dishwasher Cleaner which I've tried for $5/load!

Clean Your Dishwasher With Lemonade Kool-Aid

How to Clean Your Dishwasher With Kool Aid: 5 Steps - wikiHow

Lemonade Kool-Aid as Dishwasher Cleaner | Real Simple

How I've cleaned my d/w in the past - wiped down the interior with a vinegar solution and ran it on the sanitize cycle with the Finish Dishwasher Cleaner in the top rack.

Hope that helped.

#4 ·
I take mine apart and wipe down everything with vinegar. I found lots of dog hair in all the nooks and crannies lat weekend. It was gross. I'll have to clean it more often. We have two big dogs that shed non stop. How it gets in the dishwasher, I'll never know.

Then I run it empty with a cup of vinegar on the top rack. I do this every couple of months. my dishwasher wasn't eorking a few years ago. We took it apart and really cleaned everything. It has worked ever since, but I do a cleaning every few months.

I've never done the koolaid thing. I've read about it. Maybe next time I'll try it.

Another thing I've noticed is using a better quality soap. I used to get stuff from aldi or walmarts brand. It started leaving a residue inside the machine. I researched it and one of the better ones is cascade complete. I think finish was another good one. I also only use the gel type. I used to use powder, but it started to gunk up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.