Frugal Village Forums banner

dishwasher cleaner

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jettsmom 
#1 ·
I was going to buy a packet of dishwasher cleaner today - until I saw the price!

Then I thought: I'm pretty sure there will be someone on this forum who has the recipe for DoItYourself dishwasher cleaner - something you pour in and then run the machine empty, until it's done.

So there's the challenge: WHAT do you use to clean through your dishwasher? Is there a recipe I can borrow, please?

#2 ·
I don't make my own, our water makes things difficult. To the point that even the gel of one detergent isn't as effective as powder:yucky:.

I use Lemishine Machine Cleaner - Lemi Shine® | Lemi Shine®

It's available in our Canadian Tire and is not all that pricey. I use the the regular detergent as a booster 1x a month when things start getting cloudy, then everything sparkles. The MC is fantastic. We got a used stainless steel dishwasher that had water stains and was leaving grittiness, likely due to water sitting in it. One round with cleaner and it was shiny inside and no issues with grit. I use their rinse aid, exclusively. It out does all the others for 1/2 the price.

Reactions: Toffeekit
#3 ·
I take my machine apart every six months or so and scrub everything. For in between, I run an empty machine with vinegar in the bottom and a cup of vinegar on the top. Wipe it out when finished.

Mine used to get gunked up and I read about the best dishwasher detergent. Cascade complete gel came highly recommended. It is more expensive, but since I've switched, I don't have to scrub it as often.

I've used the dishwasher cleaners and they don't do any better than what I currently do.

I've also heard about using a packet of lemonade koolaid. Haven't tried it.

G
#5 ·
I'm with mommy4ever. Lemishine is one of my favorite cleaning products ever. It cost me about $3.50 in Target and last for 6 months or so. I will use it to "wash" the dishwasher every 2-3 months, and about once a week I put a small amount in as a rinse aid.

Love it.

#6 ·
Citric acid is what cleans the machine as far as a cleaning product. Lemonade mix is made of citric acid, so if you have some lemon Koolaid or Crystal Light on hand you've already got dishwasher cleaner.

Reactions: Toffeekit
#9 ·
I pull the bottom rack out and then lift out the bottom sprayer and clean it. I sometimes use a toothpick to clean out some of the holes and a toothbrush to get in the tiny areas. Mine has a mesh type cover over the drain and I take that out and scrub it. The soap will build up on it. These parts just lift out.

Mine is over 10 years old and may not be made the same as yours. You'll have to look at yours to determine if anything comes apart.

I haven't figured out how to take the top sprayer arm off, so I just wipe it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.