Frugal Village Forums banner

Summer Frugal Necessity Challenge

4K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Debbie-cat 
#1 ·
I have felt the need to get back to being super frugal for a month or so. We still live pretty simple but have let some things get a bit relaxed.

The last 2 weeks have been very slow for the fiance's work. He has even started working with another contractor part time and applying for every job he can find at night. I am working during the summer and while I don't make a lot, it is money.

So here our the reasons we need to cut back and find every.single.penny we can.

We are getting married! Family is paying for $0.
Fiance needs a work vehicle.

and---

a large medical bill is knocking on the door... $1000.xx

So.. on that note. We will have little to NO money for a mistake. We have agreed on a spending freeze and will be going over the budget for next month.
It is hard to budget when it comes to his income especially now that we have no idea what work is coming up. But, my job is pretty reliable for 30-ish hours a week. I have requested more hours, as well.

To do for Tomorrow-
figure out what is due
what bills we have for next month
list items for sale on ksl
clean out deep freeze and unplug
pantry list
freezer list
menu plan
organize coupon binder

Sunday-
reopen all mystery shopping accounts
continue applying for jobs

I can't really think of anything else that will be helpful. Does anyone have any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
All I can think is, to write down everything pertaining to money spent, down to the last penny. It will show you the pattern of spending. If it is not necessary, then don't buy it.

You can also look at it this way. What if, your finance/husband continues to have a problem getting steady work. You may be on this merry go round longer than you want to be. Once you set up a budget, stick to it. Don't rob Peter to pay Paul and hope to play catch up later.

Currently, I slammed the door shut on the money flow here. Hubby has a medical appt for a checkup this coming month. The dollars for that are already covered. He wanted to make it a overnight stay. I been telling him NO all along. Now his truck needs a $ 300 part and then whatever the labor is, really shoots the budget down. So it is absolutely NO to his request for spending money on extras. I did mention there is money in the bank but it is for our property and school taxes and NO, I am not going to *borrow* from that and try to get it paid back on time. I don't want that stress. And so far this year, he has not made any extra spending money from a part time job, like in summers past. I'm going with keeping the wallet shut as much as possible this year. Next year when he retires, $$ will get tighter. He needs to practice now.

#12 ·
You can also look at it this way. What if, your finance/husband continues to have a problem getting steady work. You may be on this merry go round longer than you want to be. Once you set up a budget, stick to it. Don't rob Peter to pay Paul and hope to play catch up later.
This is exactly my thoughts and I want to make sure that we are not completely in trouble. The urgency has really hit home for both of us.

#3 ·
Hi Chevy

welcome to my world....
writing down everything helps so much..... I am very good at that however my hubs is not..so the biggest thing will be getting u 2 on the same page......

there is only so much u can do if not on the same page....
my air is on 75 or off.
air dry as much as possible
cut off the little extras movies and late fees here are the ones I am fighting with hubs over...
talk about spending money before u spend..( hubs spent 200 on med...without telling me) and it messes with this months budget very bad...that was my grocery money and it is gone now...so it is important to discuss things..

hugs sweetie.......

#5 ·
Hiya! Congrats!

So, nobody else mentioned it, so I'll ask. What kind of wedding are you guys looking at? It can literally be as cheap as the license if you know someone who can perform a ceremony (if not, add $100/$200 for that.) And getting people together for brunch or BBQ reception at your place can be a nice, affordable thing if you want the party. What matters is not the wedding, it's the marriage. That's coming from someone who had a >$500 wedding in a $35 dress and is still married 17 years later... (And no, things weren't THAT much cheaper "back then.")

And I'll go so far as to say that "lean times" at the beginning of a marriage are actually a good thing. Working through this together will strengthen your relationship and also expose areas that need work BEFORE the "I-do"s. And some day, when things are more comfortable, and he's belly-aching that there's never enough money for (fill in the blank) you'll be able to remind him of what things were like at the beginning!

Your signature says the wedding is in September, which is really just around the corner. Assuming your families are just taking the "they're adults, they can pay for it themselves" stance (ie-they aren't against the marriage and boycotting), you might consider registering for gas and grocery cards instead of the usual sheets-and-towels. But *DO* register. I didn't. It didn't seem right to tell people what to buy me... BIG mistake. I wound up with some REALLY weird stuff! (Makes good stories, though...)

Since you have internet access, if you're not already on mypoints and swagbucks, that might not be a bad idea. It's not an income, by a long shot, but with a few clicks a day, you might manage to get a couple of free GCs by the end of the year for yourselves or for Christmas presents. Your fiancé can have an account too, and if you share the passwords, then whoever's home can do the swagbucks for both accounts. (Mypoints goes to your email account, and that is something you'll want to keep private-- trust me. As much as you love him, you're entitled to have private conversations. Always. But you could both set up "junk" accounts just for that purpose through a free service like gmail or outlook.) Make sure one of you sets up your account first, then "refers" the other so you get that bonus. Every little bit! :)

And if there's a library nearby, I'd suggest you check out "1001 Ways to be Romantic" by JP Godek, and leave it lying around for your fiancé to read through. There's at least one chapter on "romance on a budget." (Including free stuff.) Being broke can suck less if you're being extra sweet to each other. :)

Best wishes to you both, you can do this!

#13 ·
Thank you for the book recommendation. I will see if I can request it through the library!

Our wedding is going to be super simple. my dress was $50, venue was $75 and I am making all decoration, which i don't need much and we are doing a simple dinner and a total of 65 people are invited... so no where near that will show up..

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#7 ·
I'm right there with ya, sister! This summer is going to be lean for us too.

I second all the suggestions made above. Here are my thoughts: Have you discussed what you can cut from your budget (i.e., big cable package vs. the basic cable package or no cable...a different insurance company w/ better rates than your current company, etc.)? I don't know what your current job is, but can you find some extra work in the evenings or on the weekends even if it's at a different job? Are there some things you currently buy at the store or at restaurants that you could make cheaper at home? There are some GREAT books and websites out there with make-at-home versions of almost anything imaginable.

#14 ·
Oops...I almost forgot to add:
~ Can you negotiate your medical bill down at all or ask if they'll give you a discount if you pay the entire thing within a couple of weeks of getting the bill? Sometimes they'll do this so they can be assured they'll get the money within a specified time frame rather than have to spend time hounding people to pay up!
~ Can you implement some back-to-basics dinners in your meal plan? I'm talking beans & rice, baked potato night, soup and bread night, etc. Things that are super cheap but filling and things that will help you stretch your food $$ as far as possible.
~ Buy in bulk if you'll be able to consume everything you buy, because SOMETIMES this is cheaper by unit--for example, a 10-lb. bag of rice was cheaper by unit for me to buy than a 1-lb. bag by several cents. It's something we eat a lot of so I spent a little more up-front but it will save me in the long-run.
~ Definitely compare prices--you mentioned the coupon binder...before you use those coupons, make sure the store-brand equivalent isn't cheaper after the coupon value is subtracted.
~ I don't know what your style is in terms of weddings, but there are some fantastic DIY wedding things you could do!
-no cable.
-just saved insurance companies and saved a butt load!
-currently applying for new jobs
-I am going to try and call about the bill. I sure hope we can work something out.
-I am diy-ing EVERYTHING! The wedding we wanted is just not going to happen. We can not even imagine spending the money on the venue we did want.. even if we had the money! I am very happy that we have always been frugal and have a sense of what is important. and that definitely is not one day of our lives.
Thank you for your suggestions! Greatly appreciated :)

Related to the wedding ask people with skills to donate them in lieu of gifts. For instance if you know someone who can play the piano ask them if they will do that for the wedding in lieu of them giving a gift. Do the same with someone who can bake as they can make your cake or someone who has an artistic eye can decorate the church/reception hall. Can the ladies in your church (the same ones who help at funerals) coordinate a small reception at the church if not could they assist with your backyard reception? Know someone with a truck who could possibly assist with transporting folding chairs/tables from your church to your home for the reception. If the church is to expensive to rent for the wedding how about having the wedding in your backyard or living room.
Great idea on asking people to donate skills instead of gifts.. love that!

Don't unplug that freezer yet! If you need food for the reception, make it yourself. When I got married, my mom and some of her friends (and me too) baked brownies, bars, cookies, and stuff like that. Mom made homemade buns for sandwiches and served SPAM and egg salad sandwiches (SPAM was cheap then. Ham would work as well.) Most of this stuff was held in the freezer and then served at the reception. The only food purchased was the wedding cake. Keep it simple, keep the guest list short, and plan a time of day for the reception so you aren't expected to serve an entire meal.

Zhoen is so right, and I think people tend to forget that truth, that the marriage is what's important, not the wedding. It's not expensive to make it very nice. Nice does not have to mean expensive.

I really like the idea of tapping people to do things for your wedding instead of giving you gifts. They might appreciate being able to save that money too, especially if they're dealing with their own financial problems.

Congratulations!
Thank you. I am not really worried about the wedding fund, although the fiance is. It is mostly covered, there is a bit to go. but like you've all said the marriage is what is important not the wedding. I just love that and never thought of that way until about a month ago and my entire perspective has shifted.

Cutting the electric and water bill as much as possible. Run everything on bare basics and unplug.
Everyday food....do some breakfasts for supper a couple times a week.
Depending on how many people at the wedding/reception...and food...ask a few close friends attending if they would bring a covered dish in lieu of a gift.

Pretty much is already covered by the above posters.

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
Thank you :) I need to check power rates... see if at night is cheaper we moved and it is a new electric company.. so I don't know their rates. I am going on a unplugging SPREE today! I have always been a crazy person about stuff being plugged in, but i got lax on it.. but no more!
having waffles for dinner tonight!

#8 ·
Oops...I almost forgot to add:
~ Can you negotiate your medical bill down at all or ask if they'll give you a discount if you pay the entire thing within a couple of weeks of getting the bill? Sometimes they'll do this so they can be assured they'll get the money within a specified time frame rather than have to spend time hounding people to pay up!
~ Can you implement some back-to-basics dinners in your meal plan? I'm talking beans & rice, baked potato night, soup and bread night, etc. Things that are super cheap but filling and things that will help you stretch your food $$ as far as possible.
~ Buy in bulk if you'll be able to consume everything you buy, because SOMETIMES this is cheaper by unit--for example, a 10-lb. bag of rice was cheaper by unit for me to buy than a 1-lb. bag by several cents. It's something we eat a lot of so I spent a little more up-front but it will save me in the long-run.
~ Definitely compare prices--you mentioned the coupon binder...before you use those coupons, make sure the store-brand equivalent isn't cheaper after the coupon value is subtracted.
~ I don't know what your style is in terms of weddings, but there are some fantastic DIY wedding things you could do!

#9 ·
Related to the wedding ask people with skills to donate them in lieu of gifts. For instance if you know someone who can play the piano ask them if they will do that for the wedding in lieu of them giving a gift. Do the same with someone who can bake as they can make your cake or someone who has an artistic eye can decorate the church/reception hall. Can the ladies in your church (the same ones who help at funerals) coordinate a small reception at the church if not could they assist with your backyard reception? Know someone with a truck who could possibly assist with transporting folding chairs/tables from your church to your home for the reception. If the church is to expensive to rent for the wedding how about having the wedding in your backyard or living room.

#10 ·
Don't unplug that freezer yet! If you need food for the reception, make it yourself. When I got married, my mom and some of her friends (and me too) baked brownies, bars, cookies, and stuff like that. Mom made homemade buns for sandwiches and served SPAM and egg salad sandwiches (SPAM was cheap then. Ham would work as well.) Most of this stuff was held in the freezer and then served at the reception. The only food purchased was the wedding cake. Keep it simple, keep the guest list short, and plan a time of day for the reception so you aren't expected to serve an entire meal.

Zhoen is so right, and I think people tend to forget that truth, that the marriage is what's important, not the wedding. It's not expensive to make it very nice. Nice does not have to mean expensive.

I really like the idea of tapping people to do things for your wedding instead of giving you gifts. They might appreciate being able to save that money too, especially if they're dealing with their own financial problems.

Congratulations!

#11 ·
Cutting the electric and water bill as much as possible. Run everything on bare basics and unplug.
Everyday food....do some breakfasts for supper a couple times a week.
Depending on how many people at the wedding/reception...and food...ask a few close friends attending if they would bring a covered dish in lieu of a gift.

Pretty much is already covered by the above posters.

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

#17 ·
Finally had time to go through the pantry. We have food, a hodge podge of things, and I will have to be creative. But we can do make it happen.

Planning on having a weeny roast- roasting hotdogs on a campfire- down on some of my families land for dinner.
I am going to steam some rice.
Try making some crockpot bread, we are having a very unusually hot temperatures this week, so the oven just isn't happening.
listed a bunch of stuff online to sell.
harvested my rosemary for the first time.
need to research why my watermelon and squash aren't growing and look so sad..

#19 ·
things are about the same. we have been able to sell a few items. tyler has been drumming up as much work as he possibly can. and it has paid off. he gets paid today and it looks like we will break even. so now it is a steady uphill climb to stay ahead of bills. but we won't be behind... for a few days lol
i have gotten some great advice on starting some sort of side business. will be exploring these ideas with tyler when i finish thinking about some stuff.
We will have a little extra money to go grocery shopping next week. i am going to make some once a month cooking ideas
also some convenient freezer meals. thinking grab and go.
need to talk to tyler about the HUGE leak i have found in our spending... and how to fix it. it is both of our faults, but we need to stop.
thinking about how to rig up a clothes line....hmmmmmmmm
will be making deodorant for the first time..hoping this will help with some allergies i have and get rid of all those chemicals..
I will keep listing items until they are sold. If they don't sell online I will be holding a garage sale.

on a great note-i have tomatoes!! yes they are tiny and yes they are green BUT they are growing!!
last night i picked a quart jars worth of raspberries :)
ate left overs for lunch.

Love when things are going this easy. I love the simple things in life

#20 ·
I use a folding drying rack. With creativity, like hanging smalls on the crossbars on the ends, it holds up to two loads of laundry. It was about $12 at Walmart.

I'm doing pretty well on Earn Reward Points and Redeem Them For Free Stuff at Swagbucks.com. As paid to click things go I earn pretty fast. See also https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome.

A simple and effective deodorant is plain baking soda. I mix about 1/4 tsp with a little water to make a thin paste and then pat into my armpits. It even works when you already stink!

#21 ·
Update.

I found a new job. $2 more an hour and much more flexible hours.
I am currently in training and it is a work at home position for a well known company. I am working both jobs until training is complete to make sure that the new job is a good fit.
In working at home, no wear and tear on my car, no gas money etc.
However, the power bill will be affected. I think the benefits far out weight the drawbacks.
We have done much better at eating at home. It is also a plus that I will be working at home, so during my break I can make dinner, wash clothes, etc.
I am still listing items to sell and put into savings.
Working on wedding plans and DIY projects.
T-Minus 60 days until we tie the knot!!

Less than a month before I start school as well... SOOOO
This month Is going to be crazy busy.

#23 ·
Spirit-

I will save money on clothes. I get to wear PJ's! lol

I am drafting my schedule today.. I plan on still making a little time for me and wedding planning.

thanks!

#24 ·
It really is funny how our intuition alerts us to what is to come.

3 days after I got married my husband lost his job.

that is 50 days ago... we have sold all the unnecessary items around the house, luckily still have some more to sell. This has kept us in our apartment.
did we have an emergency fund?
no
did we have any savings?
no

the money we did get from our wedding went into savings and then paid bills. we were sooooo thankful for that money.
I am very thankful for everything that we have been able to accomplish and not being homeless or hungry.
It isn't the healthiest food, but beggars can't be choosers right?

i really do feel this happens for a reason and that we will learn great lessons from all these hard times. I just pray that we are able to get through this.

thankfully due to frugal practices ingrained in my brain we have cut almost every corner in our budget. now is a good time to go thru it with a fine tooth comb.

So, I am back to report on how we are doing and what we are doing to get through this rough time.

I will stay positive and make the most of life, even in the hard times.

#25 ·
I'm so sorry to hear about the job loss, Brandi. But you have your head on straight and you WILL come through this setback. We always did, and now we've been married for 38 years. You two will be fine in the long run. This is just a bump in the road.

Congrats on your wedding! I bet it was perfect with all your careful planning.

#26 ·
Brandi, so sorry to hear of your dh's job loss and so soon after the wedding. Remember that you are now one. And you will get through this together. It will make your marriage stronger as you help each other and work side by side.I have alot of frugal cooking links.If you would like me to PM some of them to you I can. Just let me know. I am thinking of you and your husband.

A2M

#27 ·
So sorry to hear about the job loss. Are you still working both jobs? If not is there any chance of getting the one back? Wishing you both the best and will be watching to see how it's going.

Reactions: Debbie-cat
#29 ·
Sorry to hear about the job loss Brandi! Thankfully you are a frugal person and know what to do to stay afloat. This will make your marriage stronger and you will know you can make it through anything. :hugz:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.