Frugal Village Forums banner

Frugal craft supplies

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Brat 
#1 ·
So for those of you that don't know I have an in home daycare located in an apartment right off of my house. I try my hardest to be frugal with all craft supplies. I know I do well with this but I am sure I can do better. I do not want to get sucked into Pinterest for idea's in fear I will never log off. Lol! So here are some double use things I already save but would love help adding to the craft box list.

These item's I already save
Toilet paper tubes and paper towel
Milk jug and juice caps
Baby formula scoops and lids to the formula container
I pretty much keep all containers and lids
Baby food jars
Buttons from old clothing when they turn into rags
Popsicle sticks
Rx bottles
Return envelopes
Old crayons and crayons from restaurants
Ribbons, strings, rope ect.
Plastic grocery bags I use in the garbage cans
Laundry detergent caps
Cereal boxes

I am trying really hard to think of any new one's but I am stumped. I also give my son $10 a month to give to his boss at the print shop for a box of leftover scraps. this is the best deal i have done yet. i get so much vinyl, sticker paper, poster board and extra lettering. it is worth it plus he gives me a receipt which helps for taxes. Any and all help would be appreciated if you can think of any other household item's I overlook. Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Reactions: ARCMOMMY
#4 ·
Magazines and catalogs with color pictures. Can be used for collages, strips can be rolled into beads, pages rolled into narrow tubes can be woven into baskets, or bowls, all kinds of things. You can also make neat 3-ring binder dollhouses putting pictures of furniture on each page to make rooms between the pages.

#8 ·
Where I used to live there was a charity that opened a craft supply recycling center. It was only open once a month but you could go in there and grab up all sorts of paper, paint and other supplies.

Ask your bigger newspapers if they have "roll ends" of news print. If they print their newspaper in house (many don't anymore), they are often more than willing to let you have the end of the roll of paper - which has TONS of paper still on it. They make great drop cloths and table covers. Even after using my last roll end for packing paper for our big move, I still didn't use it up.

There are entire books at the library on making craft projects from paper plates.

Of course, ask parents to donate.

Use styrofoam egg cartons for paint trays.

All sorts of misc household supplies make great tools for printing and clay crafting (homemade, of course) - forks, spoons, spatulas, etc. Try having the kids make their own beads with salt clay.

I love pipe cleaner crafts. I had first graders do standing sculptures with nothing but pipe cleaners.

Used popsicle sticks are vital and summer is the best time to start to save them.

#9 ·
I just started saving those stupid inserts/card flyers that are in the mail. Ya know for the dentist I'll never go to. I cut those up into strips the other day. Dd rolled them up and glued them on paper and made them into shells for her beach picture.

She loves envelopes ...thanks ill keep the return envelopes from now on.

Popsicle sticks. Bread tags.

I store markers and crafty stuff in wipes containers.

#10 ·
If you still use paper checks.....I always let me kids have the extra check registers to play with.
Also used old shirts, but on backwards and buttoned up the back for paint/craft shirts
Dollars store garden seeds, 10 packs for a dollar make fun textures for glue on paper crafts
Pick wild or garden flowers and dry/press
Leaves/flowers pressed between waxed paper with crayon shavings.....ironed together for pictures

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.