Frugal Village Forums banner

Yep, I did

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Sophiasmama 
#1 · (Edited)
Canceled satellite, woohoo!! Bring on Netflix! haha

Still trying to cut costs around the house. Got an unexpected check from old mortgage company of house I sold last month (finally) from escrow account. Wanted to use some of it to cut down on expenses. As satellite came with a contract, I was hesitant to cancel it just yet. With this little bonus, I took the plunge. :D Ordered two adapters to fit the DVD/Blueray players in living room and bedroom to connect wirelessly to the internet.

Also am getting some sim cards sent so I can do the switch from contract AT&T cellphone service to prepaid. For me and DD. Yep, contract on that as well. Ugh!! I HATE contracts!!!!

Still on track with the grocery challenge, having only picked up about $40 worth of fresh food in the past 10 weeks. Still have a freezer full and plenty to still cook up. So far, 10 weeks ago was the big shopping day, $215, and $40 for fresh veggies/fruit/eggs etc since that time.... comes to about $25.50 average per week. Am seeing how much longer I can stretch it out. Although, I have been scouring the sale papers and will buy items here and there of stuff I will use that is on sale. For example, last Sunday, actually rode my bike to the grocery store, armed with only the front bike basket, this is what I got for $14: dozen eggs, bag salad, 4 tomatoes, 5 bananas, 4 apples, 2 pkgs spaghetti, and box gallon size Ziploc freezer bags. Some I was out, some on sale. Might do this every Sunday early morning.

And about the bike... am trying to ride it more. Went to my niece's baby shower that was not 10 minutes from my house by bike last Saturday. I thought some family members were gonna have me put in the looney bin, but it was fun. Have a quick release basket for front, and panniers that go across the back bike rack for more carrying ability. I may shop this way from now on. Grocery store, dollar store, general goods store, 2 museums, 2 parks, sporting goods store, hair supply store, auto parts store, convenience stores, restaurants... just about anything I could need is literally within a 10 minute bike ride from my house. I found perfect spot to park bike, right under the carport by my car, a wall along side it, and bought chain so I can lock it up there. Working up the courage/strength to ride it the 2.5 miles and back to my second job.

Which brings me to the next challenge, the gas challenge. Kinda blew this one Tuesday. I went to big city 2 hours from home to trade down in vehicle. Yeah, they thought I was nuts. Perfectly great '06 Honda Accord, V6, 2dr coupe, all bells and whistles, under 70k miles, paid off... but seriously, it was sitting in the driveway depreciating, I couldn't haul anything in it, and no one in my rural area wants to touch a Honda. Called 4 places, truly, before I found one that would just flush my transmission and change filter. What if something really went wrong? Anyways, so I traded it for a small Ford SUV, 4 cylinder, more miles, a year newer actually, with capacity to haul. Oh, and they had to cut me a check for the difference. ;) So anyways, the place I traded at got my Honda's gas, and the one I took home was almost empty, so a fillup was required. Gonna have to start this challenge all over. Saved about $50 a year on insurance, too. Not a ton, but I'll take it.

The other thing I cut out... alcohol. Yep. Not good for pammy. :( And expensive. Easy fix, don't buy any, I won't drink it. And won't need to have my blow money as high to purchase any. So knocked down blow money amount per payday by half. That may still be too high as I rarely go out other than to work.

Still doing good keeping the AC set to 80 degrees. Only felt a little uncomfortable one day when it hit 106 outside, I walked home in the heat, and wanted to cool off a bit. My big ole unit couldn't get it under 80, so it's just as well. The last electric bill was $58, woot!! A year ago at this time, in the old house, the electric bill was between $200-300 a month these hot summer months. Am hanging most clothes on the drying rack. Smart strips are turning off vampire electric users. Am remembering most of the time to turn off and unplug laptop. Even being mean, have one outside light by my front door that I've turned off. My neighbors outside light is so bright and on my side of their house, so I let their light brighten my area. Using the toaster oven for baking, it's a fun challenge. :) Spare room still sealed off. Decorative lighting unplugged. Hand washing dishes for the past month without problem. Remembering to turn off bedside fan when I wake. I do see all of these things are adding up to savings. :)

Unsure how to feel about the gas bill. It's $30. The only thing being used is the gas water heater. I have the temp set to where it's warm only. Can almost turn hot water only on in shower and use that temp, just a wee bit warm, but you get the drift. So am wondering why that one's still kinda high, in my opinion.

Savings goal is 6 months living expenses, am 70% there and aim to have it all within 2 months. After that, having to decide to either pay down on mortgage or start investing it. The peace of mind having a paid for house is swaying me that direction, honestly. If that were accomplished, my living expenses would be drastically reduced (it's 1/2 my current expenses). Long term goal is to have enough invested that the earnings could pay my living expenses, if needed. As of right now, it's 10 years off. But hey, time flies, right? It's something to do and work towards.

Okay, enough of updates, thanks for reading.

Cheers!!

See less See more
#7 ·
Wow ! That's great news ! Congratulations to have such motivation and keeping your goals in mind.

Reactions: pammy
#10 ·
Pammy, you might want to rethink the water heater on 'warm' thing. Bacteria and stuff can grow at the low temperature settings. It needs to be at 110 F to kill stuff, from what I understand.

Also, that bill might still be high because the gas company has you on a plan that averages the costs per month over a certain number of years. I know they have us on some kind of program based on previous years expenditures because every spring we get a credit from them. Usually amounts to a free month of gas. It infuriates DH because he does not want to be in a situation where he is paying them a cent more than he has to! He considers it a money grab by the utility, which it is.

Otherwise you are really motoring lady! Look at you go! Very impressive.

#11 ·
Didn't think of that, need to get flashlight and see what temp it's on, thanks!

Nope, not on average plan that I know of. The gas heat made the gas bill a lot higher around Jan/Feb. Still, just irks me that it's that much. Last year, in other house, we had gas stove only. Got audited because they couldn't believe we used so little, when I explained we ONLY had a gas stove on the property, they still insisted they come check. Then agreed, yep, gas stove only uses a little, lol.

Got a little quick with being tickled over the electric, this past month was $94, boooo :( We did have about a week straight of temps over 100 and over 90 the rest, so it could be worse, I know. Will still keep on it though. I do know some of that was due to daughter, don't know how much, but she brought laundry on a mommie and kiddo's day of fun day :) lol. Three loads, she used the super large load heavy soil which ran the washer 69 minutes as opposed to the quick cycle's 29 minutes, and dried all three loads in the dryer. Will def be watching that next time she has that 'can I bring my laundry' thought next time, lol.

Another round of sale items bought at grocery store this morning, $25 added. Still don't see a large shopping expedition needed for at least a month or more. Was rummaging around in freezer earlier, just meat-wise, still have a full bag of chicken breast tenderloins, precooked shrimp, full bag of frozen tilapia, large package of meat for either fajitas or pepper steak, and 4lbs of hamburger. Can make a ton of meals on those. That's not even counting the dried beans or pastas. There's about 15 already cooked frozen in meal portioned sized dinners for the microwave. Tons of frozen veggies in there. It's doable.

Cheers all!

#15 ·
You're a great inspiration! So glad to read your posts, even though I know I'll never have a $58 electric bill. :( but you may have even convinced me that I can save money on electric by unplugging. Congrats on your successes. I hope you come back and post bunches more!

Thanks!

Theresa. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.