Frugal Village Forums banner

Diatomaceous Earth for bedbugs??

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ilovechocolate 
#1 ·
Friends of mine moved one of the beds and discovered they have a huge infestation of bedbugs. They can't really afford the chemicals from the do it yourself pest place. Has anyone here used diatomaceous earth for this? Or know someone who has? If it works and won't hurt their cat that would be great. Where can you buy DE?

#3 ·
A Rural King or Tractor Supply sells it. Also it's available on Amazon.com

Be careful - we were looking at the same stuff last week (to treat a flea problem at a rental) - and it says right on the back of the bag that it MAY be harmful to humans & animals.

Rural King had a 10 lb bag for around $8

#4 ·
I talked to my boyfriend. He recommends a very hot steam cleaner for everything they could live on. All furniture, mattresses, couches, floors, etc. Laundry all has to be washed and dried in very high temperatures. That would be the safest method to use that will work. You have to clean out the vacuum outside so they don't get out of the bag. Bedbugs can live for months and hide without eating or moving. Talistar is the only chemical he knows that works 100% but it is very toxic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.