Frugal Village Forums banner

H/M corn dogs

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Contrary Housewife 
#1 ·
I bought a corn dog maker from amazon for 18.99 & free shipping, no sales tax. It came in yesterday & I tried it out last night. There are several reasons for buying it...cheap, cheap corn dogs and my 5 year old grandson likes to help in the kitchen and there's no way I'd let him near a skillet full of hot grease to make them the old fashioned way that I used to do. It makes small corn dogs...you cut the hot dog in half, so you get 2 small corn dogs from each dog. Also, frozen corn dogs (on sale) today are 4.99 for 16 and the kids usually only eat half each, but both want the stick, so half of each one goes in the garbage. That's 31 cents each. Another plus is that all bought corn dogs have lots of sugar in the batter & I hate sweet cornbread. I made my own batter with "on sale" ingredients and the price came out to be a bit less than a nickel each. The weinners were in the freezer & were bought a while back at .50 per pack . It comes with 25 bamboo sticks that really are twice as long as needed, so I'll make 50 out of the 25. Also, I see removing the sticks after they cool and freezing them to fry later (cause I love them fried). My daughter bakes the store bought kind for the kids and these taste similar to those with the exception of all that sugar...and that's a good thing. I figure it'll pay for itself fairly quickly as they love corn dogs and so do I.

#2 ·
That sounds like fun! I have hot dogs on the menu this week, I might make corn dogs instead. I might use corn muffin mix, I think Jiffy is only 50c and 1 pack should cover several full size hot dogs. :)

#4 ·
Alton Brown puts his corn dog batter in a tall glass then dunks the dog into the glass to get it fully coated. It works well but with only 2 of us here, there always seemed to be too much batter left over. I know what your thinking though... hush puppies! LOL

#5 ·
Hushpuppies, YUM!!! I like that about the batter in a glass, gonna have to do that. Some of the ones that I made, I put a small spoon of batter directly into the baking cavity, then laid the skewered wiener in that dough and spooned another small spoon on top of the wiener. Worked pretty well.

#6 ·
I did the corn muffin batter dogs this evening (batter in a tall glass) and they came out well. But OMG! So filling. I'm glad I only made 4, because just one each filled us up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.