Frugal Village Forums banner

This German Woman Has Been Living Without Money For 16 Years

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  josantoro 
#1 ·
#3 ·
She is using money. She admits it. Her travel costs are covered. Seeing a picture of her on a train, I was wondering how she did it. Bartering is the same as using money except on a much more basic level. She barters her skills. She teaches others how to do what she does in exchange for places to live, food, etc. I think she is as close to doing without money as possible in an urban environment.

What I don't get is her need to constantly move about, not put down roots. Unless she is afraid that by staying put she'll be tempted back in to using money.

#4 ·
I've read about her. She had the apartment, lived that life. But when she decided to give it up and live without money, well, you can't couchsurf at your sister's house indefinitely. It wouldn't be polite. So she regularly moves on, so as not to impose too much too long for anyone.

Personally, I find it fascinating. It would be terribly difficult with children or as a couple, but it is possible. If I could find a way to live without money, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be doing it.

#6 ·
Most people who live this kind of life do it more to draw attention to the wastefulness of society. I bet when she does start to slow down, she'll have a huge lot of community who will be chomping at the bit to help her and care for her. She also has grown children, who have grown up with her living this kind of lifestyle. Hopefully they've prepared for her future as well.

#9 ·
Well, it sounds like most of what she does is house sit. And when she says she "gives away her pension" I would assume that she has the income (pension) to be able to care for herself should she be unable to continue how she is doing. I think she just enjoys it.

Imagine, in America - with the number of foreclosed homes losing value by being vacant, it won't be long before more banks are paying people to housesit foreclosures.

#11 ·
To my mind bartering is a lot like money, only you have to spend a lot more time and effort arranging the barters. It seems like six of one and half a dozen of another. Could be she has a personality type that enjoys it. I wouldn't like it I don't think.

#13 ·
It's the same in the US. I'm not sure how they enforce it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.