Frugal Village Forums banner

It hit the fan...

8K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  Lovemybliss 
#1 ·
At work and...suddenly, jobless.

I told my boss a month ago that if things didn't improve I was probably going to quit, and I have been looking for another job. So, last weekend I interviewed and did a try out for another job and word got back to my boss that I was working for someone else and she decided to accept my verbal resignation from a month ago, immediately, and dismissed me.

Great. I have not been offered that other job yet. They were trying out several applicants and while I feel like I did a good job and was definitely in the running for the position, it's been three days since my try out and I've not had the call back :(

Now I'm unemployed for the first time IN MY LIFE! I...don't...even...

All evening it's been nothing but panic attacks. My stockpile is so small. My savings is pretty pathetic. Granted, aside from my mortgage I'm debt free (no credit cards, bills up to date). But, single Mom...no income...not good. Not good at all. *commence freakout*

#2 ·
Breathe...hugs!!

Start putting in applications other places tomorrow morning. Since your stockpile isn't big, start looking around for ways to supplement your food. Find the food banks there and any church outreaches. Adding to what you have now will stretch your supply longer.

Do you have fishing gear? What about hunting gear? Or do you know anyone who does that would loan it to you? Can you trade (things or help) for fish, etc.

#3 ·
Question - how did word get back? Who knew that you were going for this other job?

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#4 ·
Well, the good news is they fired you, so you should be eligible for unemployment, but get that done immediately because it starts the day you apply, not the day you were fired.

#6 ·
Greebo, small town. The daughter of one of the other employees told her mom she saw me working and her mom told the boss.

Luv, I do have a fishing pole and gear. I don't have much freezer space though. I got rid of the chest freezer last year because out utilities were too high.

Contrary and OM, we are part of the state of Alaska. I applied for UE last night, when I got home. In AK you have a 6 week penalty if you quit or are fired. I will have a cash out of 120+ hours of vacation leave and a final paycheck. I don't think I'll qualify for FS for a while. I will also, on occasion get child support, but that's anything from $0-$500 a month depending on the Ed's seasonal work situation.

This is seriously the weirdest feeling in the world, waking up in the morning with out a job to go to. Got the kiddo off to school and now I'm just sitting here like, what next?

#12 ·
Luv, I do have a fishing pole and gear. I don't have much freezer space though. I got rid of the chest freezer last year because out utilities were too high.
Maybe just leave what's in the freezer there and eat what you catch fresh. Also, could you trade any catch with people you know for staples (dry goods, etc.)? What about drying or smoking some of it? Would keep you busy (less time to worry), if nothing else. ;)

Saw on KTUU news last night that the dividend estimate is more like $900. :) That should help! Are you set up for direct deposit? That would mean an early October deposit...

Is your home well-insulated? I'm working on getting our apartment windows and doors sealed up better and making some draft snakes to save on the heating bill. If you have a sewing machine and some odds'n'ends you could make some to cut on heating bills, too... :)

Hang in there! Remember, Alaskan girls kick butt! :D

#8 ·
HUGS Alaska. Do you have any support there - emotional support, anyone who can help you out if in a pinch for food or covering the heating bill etc?
Get yourself to a social service agency, crisis department or the like. They will help you lots, and tell you of any programs out there that may be able to help you. Like here in Ontario there is a program that will help pay your heating bill in crisis, but most people don't know about it. Also, do not feel guilty or anything for going to a food bank, etc. You have paid in to UI etc., and have helped others out... now it's just your turn to be helped.
Treat your job search as a full time job. 8 hours a day, apply for every job you can. Hopefully you hear back from the job you applied for. Go to an employment resource centre, get them to tweak your resume to make it the best ever. There may be programs for you that they know of as well. Temp agencies too can help you pull through while you're looking for a permanent position.
All the best!!!!

#10 ·
Are you thinking about someone else?

So today, applied for three jobs (all at the same place...too desperate?), made a menu plan for the next few days, picked up some odds and ends that I had left at the last job, visited my Mom and Grandma and now I'm sitting back at my house twiddling my thumbs waiting for school to get out so I can see if my DS is here this weekend or at his dads.

I calculated that I think I will have about $5000 in the bank by next week. They don't announce alaska permanent fund dividend amounts till later this month but I'm not hearing good things about that. Predictions are less then $800 each and half of DS's will automatically be put in his college savings account. Those don't get paid out till mid- October anyways. Hoping the ex worked a lot this week so the support payment is good, then I can take that and buy groceries and not worry.

I made a list of major expenses coming up, heating fuel being the biggy. I'm ambivalent about buying it right now though, because a new furnace is being installed in a few months and a new oil tank and I don't want to have to pump fuel out of the old tank and into the new tank. Pain in the butt. And the fuel company is pretty...meh...not trustworthy enough to prepay...ya know.

Sorry, rambling but its good to get my thoughts down here and out of my head a bit. I've developed a stress rash overnight from all the worry.

#11 ·
Are you thinking about someone else?
Yup, sorry - it was AlaskaTiger36 (sometimes our names all start to sound alike) - so sorry.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. And everyone here is around to support you, listen to your thoughts, & try to help with solutions. Honestly, you could not be in a better place than this one in a time like this.

Take it one day at a time, breath & don't let your stress level get the better of you. Something will come around the next corner - and I am saying a little prayer that things will be even brighter for you.

#13 ·
Alaska, you have to go door knocking. Go and tell your future employers how great you are. Pick a place you want to work and go and talk to the manager. Tell them why they should employ you and what a hard worker you are. I am sure a better job is out there with better conditions. I always think these things happen for a reason, and it doesn't sound like you were too happy in your previous job. You'll be right.

#14 ·
You all are so awesome. I am really glad that I have somewhere I can come and get this kind of support.

DS is off school and down at the creek fishing for his dinner, lol...sounds so funny to say that but it's true. It's a bit too late in the season to dry of smoke fish, it's so wet out lately. We did smoke some Reds last month so that part of the stockpile. Hoping DS catches some silvers this weekend. Going to drive him out to the cove tomorrow and let him fish while we picnic in high hopes, silvers are good for pickling and won't take up freezer space.

I listed some stuff for sale on our local version of Craig's list today. My old employer had an apartment for visiting staff and it had my furnature in it. I let the old boss know that I'd be selling it and moving it over the weekend. It's just a futon couch and a wing back chair but out here in the middle of no where, where shipping furnature in is really pricy I can get at least $300 for them both.

I'm also putting all my garage sale stuff together for if/when the money starts drying up. IF I don't get a job soon. I've mentioned before that our unemployment rate is pretty small. I'm hoping that I'm only out of work few a very short while.

#15 ·
Sorry to hear about your predicament Alaska! After reading from the beginning, in your last post you sound stronger and ready to tackle anything to help you through this rough patch and you WILL survive through this rough patch. Something bigger and better is just around the corner...check all areas in your community, even ones you wouldn't normally think about. Prayers for you that this is short lived and you will be back to work soon. :hugz:

#16 ·
I would watch the news over the Syria conflict If we go to war the price of oil will rise significantly so I would think about prepaying. Big Hugs you will get thru this stronger.

#19 ·
Brenda! Shhhh! Lol! Omg talk about raising my anxiety level. On Monday I am going to get a hold of the contractor that is going to do the work on my house and see if it really matters if I fill up and have to transfer fuel. If its a huge deal I'll just wait till spring to replace the tank. The old one is not leaking or anything. But you're right, better get it while the getting is good...or...at least mildly not as expensive as it might get.

Spent the day all day thinking it was Sunday. Took DS out fishing, built a campfire, and sat and contemplated stuff. I had planned on not spending any money today, but ended up having to fill the and on the pick up. Stopped by my sisters house and she said a mutual friend of ours that works at the place I'm waiting on the call back from was pretty positive I have the position based on office chatter. Pray for me if you pray!!

If the weather is nice tomorrow we'll go fishing again, it's a nice cheap activity and makes my DS happy. I want to stop by the store tomorrow and get onions and bell peppers so I can make a chicken curry. I have a bunch of chicken drums in the freezer and if I make curry it'll last for days, it's something I never get sick of eating.

By tomorrow joblessness is going to start getting to me. I'm accustomed to working 6 days a week or more unless ill with very few vacations. It's odd to me to have idle time on my hands. Disconcerting. I feel, constantly like I'm forgetting something major. I suppose on Monday I can go to the school and register to be a substitute. Don't much like kids but...it's something.

#22 ·
Just had to update : I GOT THE JOB!!!!!

Whoooohoooo! Happy dance! So..,this means that I only managed to be technically unemployed for three days! I don't start till the 23rd but I have that vacation payout coming so....no money lost in this whole debacle! Omg, I'm so happy right now. So happy but I have to waiting for noon to drink a celebratory beer, lol!

#28 ·
Oh Alaska, I am soooo happy for you!!! I hope you had that celebratory beer! :chug:

Reactions: Alaska
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.