Frugal Village Forums banner

It's mid-October...are you ready for winter?

4K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  Cares 
#1 ·
It snowed here today...the first snowfall (however brief--it's already melted!) of the season, and it got me thinking about how ready I am for winter and how I plan to be frugal this winter. We just turned on the heater yesterday--it's gotten down to the upper 20s and low 30s every night this week and the inside temp was in the low 60s-- because the kids' hands and noses were cold. We're keeping the thermostat on about 66-67 and everyone is wearing long sleeves, socks, and we have plenty of blankets around. I need to buy a roll of weatherstripping because the cracks around our windows and doors seem to have grown since last year and the old stuff just isn't holding (we rent). I'm planning to do a freezer and pantry inventory in the next few days to see what we have and what we need, then budget accordingly. I also need to do an HBA inventory.

#2 ·
Heck no! Our leaves haven't even changed and it's 39 out and it snowed only 100 miles from here yesterday. I think we went from summer straight into winter. And we need weatherstripping too. :(

Reactions: AspiringToBeFrugal
#3 ·
Yes and no. We need winter tires for the van, winterize the camper, winter coat and boots for DS.....and more things I can't think of. But we're ready because I live in calgary and it snows in July sometimes.

It already snowed a few flurries here last week. Last Halloween we had a foot of snow and it was -40 c.

Winters coming (said in my best game of thrones voice).

#4 ·
Not yet. This week I filled some gaps in our winter outerwear wardrobes (new snow boots, extra mittens/gloves), and started packing away our warm weather clothes. I've been gradually switching out bedding. We need to go through the emergency kits in the cars and make sure they are properly stocked. I also haven't touched anything of the outdoor stuff yet (outdoor furniture, hoses, planters, etc).

#5 ·
This is one of those threads that would be so much more interesting if people would indicate where they're located, even in a general way. :)

This is Minnesota, so we're pretty much always ready. We're going to move our camper to its winter spot in the yard and then we should be pretty much done outside.

#6 ·
I am about an hour north of Tampa, Florida. It is not cold here yet. I am hoping this will be a nice Winter where I can keep the AC off for a few months. Tomorrow I am going to look through my own clothes and see what I need. I will have to also go through the kids' things when they are here next weekend. I miss the snow. Every year I get terribly homesick for the Fall and the first couple of weeks of snow.

#7 ·
I'm in So Cal and right now we are still in the 90's and using the AC!! We typically are fairly mild as far as winter goes but it does get cold (of course 50 is cold to me, maybe not so much to those of you who actually get winter weather). We already have wood stored to burn in the fireplace. That's about it as far as prepping goes so far!!

#10 ·
The garage needs to be swept out but other than that, most of our winter work is done. We don't have that much to begin with since we don't have to rake leaves or do any real yard work to speak of. But the hoses are reeled up and stored in the garage and the camper is fully winteriized now and moved to its winter spot. I guess we still have to shove some stuff around in the cabin so it's not in front of the furnace, so that's ready when we turn the furnace on out there.

#11 ·
It hasn't frosted here yet but it did get down to the 30's last night and is suppose to be in the 20's in a couple of days. We have a new stove to install. My hubby was going to change it out yesterday but his knees are hurting him bad this weekend. We do have plenty of wood and I have been stocking up pretty good. I may not be totally prepared but I am close.

#12 ·
We're in Ontario, it's cold enough to have the heat on all the time now, set to 68 for now.

Not ready, although it'll snow soon I'm sure. Last year the snow banks were taller than my husband. We need to tidy up the garage so the car can fit in. Install the automatic garage door opener. Get out the fuzzy and warm bedding, plus blankets and winter clothes. Go through emergency kits. Stock up on meats for the freezer, the pantry stockpile is allllmost complete.

#13 ·
I live in Colorado.

We had our first measurable snow this week.
It has frosted at least twice that I know of.

All my hoses have been drained and hung for the winter
Swamp cooler disconnected, and outside faucets are covered
Filters in heater have been changed
Paint brought into house

Still to do:
Cover swamp cooler
Tools cleaned and oiled
Possibly weather strip and caulk some windows
Install new storm door on front door (did back door this spring)
Wash all winter clothes (sweaters, coat, hats, and gloves
Oil bird seed holder

Probably more, need to think about it

#14 ·
I don't really do all that much to "ready for winter," but what does need doing hasn't been done yet... :)

Need to weatherstrip around the kitchen door (cat clawed it all to hell and back...)
Need to shrinkwrap the dining room windows, which means we need to pull the AC out.
Need to re-insulate the attic, but can't until the eletrician comes, which he can't until Hubs calls him, which he won't until *I* go 'round and mark all the dead outlets... so it's all my fault! ;D

#15 ·
I'm in Northern California and weather has been holding up quite well, but we've already had to turn on the heat a couple of times, especially at night time as it does get quite chilly. I would like to avoid turning on the heat anymore if possible until at least Thanksgiving. This means that I need to:
1. Put flannel sheets and warmer blankets on all the beds.
2. Pull out the warmer clothes/sweaters/socks, especially for kids and for me as well as I hate being cold.
3. Keep blinds open during daytime to let the sun warm up the house.

#16 ·
Oh, I am so ready. Here in FL it's been hot pretty much forever. This week is the first time we'll have a high below 80F. Sometime in November we'll want a blanket on the beds. I have a space heater on hand for my guests in case they want it warmer than I set the thermostat.

#17 ·
Will be getting ready this week and next week. May even try to clean out the vents in this place. Stockpile wise am almost there. But the bedding has definately been changed out already. Was getting used to the milder winters but it looks as though it will definately be colder this winter.

#18 ·
Will be getting ready this week and next week. May even try to clean out the vents in this place. Stockpile wise am almost there. But the bedding has definately been changed out already. Was getting used to the milder winters but it looks as though it will definately be colder this winter.
I have a sneaking feeling this winter is going to be a bad one, not like the past warmer winters. Apparently it's supposed to snow here next week, and I believe it, it is cold and windy today! Better get our garage cleaned out and tidied up. Can I borrow some time?! Good grief, too much too do in too little time.

#20 ·
Pittsburgh, pa here and it's cold as of last week. I just covered the basement windows yesterday and plan tonight to walk around the house with that foam (great stuff) spray to seal any cracks. I have to finish covering the air conditioner units too. As far as winter clothing for the kids and us we are great. My stockpile of food needs to be better and I will be focusing on that the 2nd week of November. I am trying to clean out my pantry between now and then. Actually I have been for some time now and it had helped out so much. I am going to go sell at the flea market again to try to unload as much as possible and make a few dollars for my husbands trip away with his friend. I have heard the farmers almanac states this will be a horrible winter. Doesn't it always say that? Lol!

#24 ·
No!!! It's been warm so far in Oct but supposed to be in the 20s tomorrow night and a wintry mix on Thursday night. I cleaned up and brought all my houseplants inside last week. I am so pleased about that. Usually we're dragging them in after dark on the night it's supposed to frost.

Some things we need to do:

wash the den windows
drain and put away water hose
pick apples
dig potatoes, daikons, beets, rutabagas, etc.
clean out the cellar so we can put the veggies in there
split and stack the firewood
get more firewood
clean the chimney
winterize the tractor, mowers, tillers, etc.
put away stuff that is outside:garden tools, lawn chairs, etc.
plant some trees and shrubs that are sitting in pots

I'm sure there is much more.

#25 ·
Dear Aspiring:

I can help you with some of your future frugalness ideas. I have been frugal for several years since I bought my home. I too, have lots of bills and have to take care of an elderly parent who lives 25 miles away. I take a lot of time off from work with no pay to take care of my parent and I am still able to save money. So, I thought I would share some ideas with you. You will be surprised at just how frugal you can get and how you just seem to get used to it once it has been implemented.

I water down my shampoo, conditioner, liquid hand soap and dishwashing soap with water when it get's halfway down the bottle. I also make all my liquid hand soap. Easy to bring water just to a boil and grate a bar of soap and throw it in. Cheaper than buying from any store. I turn off all the lights and all the small appliances and electrical strips get unplugged before I leave the house because they still draw electricity. I live in the Northeast so, when the temp drops, I pull out my electric blanket and lower the thermostat. I make just about all my homemade cleaners, usually vinegar, water and a small amount of dishwashing soap or tea tree oil. This will clean the counters, floors and bathroom. I use the town paper (free) its like newspaper to clean my mirrors and windows. To clean wood make a small amount of freshly squeezed lemon juice and olive oil and wipe all your wood with this. It works wonderfully. I make leg warmers by using old socks just cut off the bottom near the ankle of two pairs of knee high socks and sew it to the other one near the upper calf. I make my own slippers too from old washcloths. Check it out on Youtube. I use old clothes, sheets and pillowcases to make rags and potholders. I go to thrift stores to buy wool and felt it or just wear it, or in my case, make mittens out of a cheap 100 percent merino wool sweater. Years ago, I got rid of my cable and home phone to save money. What a great money saver. Having cable year to year is the equivalent of buying a giant plasma tv every year and throwing it out the window. I decided to just throw out the huge bill and now I just have the internet. I can watch movies and tutorials on anything I want to learn on Youtube and some other free sites. I never go out to eat. If I do, it is a rare occasion. I always bring my lunches/dinners with me to work. I use all my clothes till they wear out and then turn them into something else useful. When you get paid from your job. Pay yourself first. That way you will always have something for a rainy day. When you go food shopping, Shop the perimeter of the store and buy food that will last a long time, such as dried beans, rice, dried milk. Also, buy only food from the four food groups. You can buy tea and make iced or hot tea as a flavored beverage. I don't buy soda and make this instead. I always drink water and tea. These are my only two beverages. I also buy loose tea and cheap coffee filters to make chamomile tea. Cheaper than buying the teabags. Buy only necessities, don't waste money on junk food. You can always make cakes and cookies. Buy store brands and you will definitely save a bundle of dough. Try to group your activities bank, library, grocery shopping into all in one trip to save money on gas. Stay at home instead of going out to save cash by having a game night, or bake a new dish, clean up the house or just enjoy each other's company. Always save your jars from food. Don't throw them away as you can make xmas gifts by putting homemade cakes, cookies, muffins or seasoning mixes in them (like starters) You can make them in advance by putting the dried parts of the food together, put your own labels on them and make the directions say add oil or eggs and they will have "Delicious muffins made by say the Jones's!" This way you can start your gifts now and have them already made before xmas. Throw in some homemade potholders and what a nice homemade surprise for the recipient!!! Everyone eats and homemade gifts are always better than store bought stuff because it comes from the heart.
I make earrings. I have done this for years and have never bought a pair since I have learned how to do this. You wouldn't believe the savings you get when you make it yourself. All my girlfriends get excited around their birthdays because they know they are getting jewelry that I made. If it ever needs to be fixed, I offer free fixing of jewelry that I made for them. Have never had that problem since I started 20 years ago

I hope that some of these ideas will help you to save more money and make your life easier. It has for me. And, believe it or not, I feel like my life is full and enjoyable. Even though, I don't have all the amenities that most of my friends have. I read more. I learn more. I have learned to use my sewing machine to help me along my way.

Please let me know if this helped you!

Happy holidays!

Frugalforever

#26 ·
Still to do:
Cover swamp cooler
Tools cleaned and oiled
Possibly weather strip and caulk some windows
Install new storm door on front door (did back door this spring)
Wash all winter clothes (sweaters, coat, hats, and gloves
Vacuum out vents ?put filters in
Oil bird seed holder- done

Reactions: Spirit Deer
#27 ·
whether or not we were ready we got belted wed night and all day Thursday! it got super cold, rained, hailed and then snowed and snowed and rained somemore!!! we still teak patio furniture outside!!! uncovered!!! and plants.

burning bushes were flattened like pancakes! so sad. lost lots of limbs due to trees still having lots and lots of leaves and the heaviness of the snow and rain snapped them!!!

but, I did finally put away all of our summer shoes....lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.