Frugal Village Forums banner

thrift store wool and cashmere sweaters

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Trishagirl 
#1 ·
I have started going to thrift stores to find wool sweaters. Last week, I bought 3 sweaters and put them in the washing machine on the hottest cycle. One of the three came out with holes and the other two came out great (more felted). The "Holey" one I used the arms for leg warmers and I am going to make warm hats, socks, slippers and mittens with the rest. Has anyone else here done this also?

#5 ·
I've bought some second hand yarn on ebay and etsy from people who find cashmere sweaters in thrift stores and unravel them. It might be out of style, a wrong color, or have some small holes or stains. The yarn is lovely for baby clothes.

#8 ·
I use thrift store wool of all kinds to felt and hook into rugs that I then sell. :) Problem is it is getting harder to find wool in the thrift stores for a decent price here. Our thrift store prices have also gone up a lot. I've started hooking with other fibres, like silk. Yes, silk is cheaper at our thrift stores than cashmere or wool. Sad to say...

#9 ·
Regarding FELTING!!!!!! Be careful as you can seriously ruin your washer. :) There are ways to be good and safe, but otherwise all those fibers can seriously shorten the life of your washer.

The best way to do it is in a zippered pillowcase. I know a yarn store that has a washer and lets people felt there, but the washer takes a LOT of abuse. It's not a nice thing to your washer unless you put the item in something to hold the fibers.

#17 ·
Never would have thought to contain the item being felted - best idea ever!

#20 ·
Yes I've heard of this & bought a pair of the sweater mittens at a craft bazarre. They had put fleece on the inside. I really like them. You can find the pattern on the net.

Reactions: frugalforever
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.