Frugal Village Forums banner

I finished my book!

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  CPA-Kim 
#1 ·
I've been working on a book on thrifty living for a couple of years, and this month I actually finished it. When my income dropped sharply in 2009 I had to change how I spent money and how I lived. This could easily have felt like “Oh crap, I don’t have enough money, this is awful.” Because I made it into research for a book and documented the experience, instead it became “Wow, look what can be done with very little money.”

The book is now out in Kindle format on Amazon.com under the title Frugal Living for the 21st Century: Adventures in Using Your Money Wisely. By publishing it electronically my only cost of publishing was paying for cover art because I couldn't figure out how to use the freeware Paint.NET. I commissioned the cover on Fiverr: Graphics, marketing, fun, and more online services for $5 and it was $5 for the cover and $10 for the picture which would have cost me $30 if I bought it myself. What a change from just a few years ago when the only choices were the miniscule chance of getting published by a traditional publishing house or spending thousands to self-publish a physical book. In the process I discovered the joy of blogging, at adventures99.wordpress.com, so I got a new hobby out of it as well. Kindle format books can be read on any device by downloading Amazon’s free Kindle software to any computer, tablet or iPhone.

Reader99/Writer99

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you!

It was much harder work than I expected, and at the same time enjoyable.

#4 ·
I'll buy it too. Now to get my BF to share his Kindle. Look forward to reading all your advice and about your adventures in being frugal.:applause:

#5 ·
I've already read the first chapter and it's packed full of great information. I'm recommending it on my FB page and to my students in Personal Financial Planning. It illustrates what a hard-working person is willing to do to keep afloat and make progress. Very inspiring.

#7 ·
WOW! Thank you!

Reactions: CPA-Kim
#8 ·
I'm always amazed at how fast the Kindle purchases land on my iPad. Your book is addictive and it sure saves people a lot of time trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.

I put a link in both of my financial planning classes and on my FB page. I'm also buying my cousin a copy as a gift (yes I do have a line item in my budget for gifts LOL.)

#9 ·
Congrats! I write fiction and have some things self-published on Amazon and other places as well. From one 'indie' to another, looks like you've done a lovely job on your book. I wish you luck with it!

#13 ·
I just bought it. I can't wait to get home and start reading. I'd start at work but my boss wouldn't like it and there is no wi fi to download it with.

#14 ·
Congratulations! I don't have a Kindle or IPad but sounds interesting. Hope it does very well for you :congrats:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.