Frugal Village Forums banner

Great weekend furniture deals!

959 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Debbie-cat 
#1 ·
Hubby and I have decided to try and purchase more furniture for our home while utilizing a budget. We found a dresser for our boys room this weekend for $50. Our cousin offered us a daybed this weekend for free, so we went to pick it up. She also had 2 nice twin beds that she wanted to sell and we got those too! $60 per bed and they are beautiful dark wood, traditional style. They are going to our boys. Then I got a new dining room set for $150 from a co-worker. We pick that set up tonight, I will be refinishing the chairs on that piece, but I am so happy. We were in need of a dining room set! I just feel like our home is getting more complete and I am learning that items do not have to cost a fortune.

#3 ·
Congratulations! That's a lot of furniture! Happy for you and your family. Enjoy

#4 ·
Sometimes the timing is just right, and I know what you mean about getting your home more complete. That's great you're finding useful pieces at such great prices.

When we adopted the last five kids and made our family of ten, we had a dining room table that would seat six and had to bring in our picnic table so there was room for everyone in the dining room. A couple months later, we found an antique dining set that would easily seat 12 or 14. They were asking $500 and it was well worth it, but we had just doubled our family and we were broke. It was also the end of the sale and we knew it was unlikely they'd be selling the set in the remaining time, so we offered them $400, and they took it. Now, almost thirty years later, I can still remember how we all felt when we were able to sit down at the same table for the very first time. I also remember looking around that big table and seeing from the ear to ear grins on everyone's faces they felt it too. It was almost like we were a real family for the first time.

#5 ·
~Yes, SD, I totally agree with you! We didn't get a real dining table until 2012 when we were living in the rental out here in CO(used also of course!). It made an enormous difference in our family' social dynamic. The dedicated dining room/school room instead of open living or eat-in here in our new house made another huge leap forward. Having dedicated space and furniture is even more wonderful than you think it will be. It's having the right tools for the job!
Reminds me of my favorite movie, The Quiet Man, when Maureen O'Hara's character feels incomplete as a newlywed in her husband's cottage without her dowry of furniture. It seems petty and materialistic unless you can understand it from personal experience. She's says it's about the years of "Dreaming" in the pieces, a hope chest passed on by generations. I think we all do this is almost instinctively like feathering a nest. When we get the things around us that fit the dreams we had, and even didn't know we had, and our deeply held values, daily life seems more complete and peaceful and orderly.
You got some very good deals Bliss. You enjoy your new things!~

#7 ·
Great deals you found! It is worth it to ask around....can save a lot of cash that way and most of the time get better real wood furniture rather than the particle board crap. Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.