Frugal Village Forums banner

Dear Friends It is Official....

4K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  HappyMama 
#1 ·
Dear Friends,

Sorry for my long absence. Hope some remember me!! I came back to give an update, thanks, and pep talk to those who need it.

I am no expert by any means and what has worked for my family might not work for others. We all have our own needs, budgets, life choices, hobbies or family choices. So onward and upward, keep trying and you will succeed.

Had to announce just bought another house ( large Victorian brick a priority for me if I was to move) debt free for cash. We have had to do some fixing up on it ( pipes, new boiler, new hot water heater put in, new to us custom Cherry cabinets made by the Amish). We do have to sell our Gothic brick Victorian but have lots of equity, owe very little and had a few offers before but didn't want to sell. I love love love my old house and will be sad when we do finally move to the other but we could not pass up this opportunity for my family to have a paid off home.

Our new house does need work and we have been pouring lots of time, sweat equity and craigslist time finding wonderful new treasures to fix up our new beauty. It is beautiful and I like it but not to romanticize it... cause it does need work...LOL We are doing it ourselves. It was a forclosure, that sold previous for 180,000. My heart and prayers go out to any who have lost their homes and I would never have bought a foreclosure if the people were still there and wanted to stay. This had been empty for two years so someone was going to buy it and get a deal myswell been me. I negotiated with GOV. and won. Keys in hand the remodeling begins.

I am still going to process my 55 gallons of sauce, 50 quarts of salsa, fruit and veggies in freezers, pickles etc. This helps us all year long. I am still going to buy my Italian 00 flour in bulk, honey, Oats and rice in bulk. Will it be a pain? No it saves me time, energy, and MONEY to keep on budget, track and meet our goals.

I was able to get my new to me cabinets, Bosch dishwaser, Miele and Asko washing machinces and dryers on craigslist, as well as new custiom leather sofas for a fraction of what they would cost. I am remodeling the basement, kitchen and house. I feel comfortable cash flowing remodeling, as well some great new furniture as I will own it outright and have no debt. My best deal to date was the 24,000 ( rec. and craftsman contact were given) cabinets for 1,000 granite included ( but granite broke :( ) will need new counters I am going to go copper or granite, maybe soapstone or slate. I also got leather sofas for 1,000 that originally cost the owner moving 22,000.00. I hope these don't sound like brags as it was lots of work to negotiate, contact, pick up as some were hours away. I am just wanting to share craigslist works, save your money by living like no one else now so you can live like no one else later. Find deals, negotiate, look on the free, give back, give good karma. I have sold and give way lots on craigslist over the years.

Save on your food budget, garden, cook from scratch, bake, dehydrate, can, freeze food, go without certain things ( we don't use cable, though that might not work for all) with the money you save set aside a get out of debt fund, repair fund, new furniture or remodeling fund. Try to live below your means in renting or owning so if life throws you a curve ball like us you can afford to still own your home and rent if you commute or need to move before your house sells. Or medical bills like we had. Long story but many know we had to commute before for years in diff state etc. If we didn't live below our means I couldn't have done it.

We have older vintage cars ( Mercedes, Volvos) but they are classic, leather seats and PD off. We maintain them ourselves. That can be lots of work, researching, finding answers and parts but worth it to be debt free.

Many think I am lucky in my circle but to be frank they wouldn't go a day without a car while they are fixing it, find parts,join boards to get info how to repair, watch youutubes. Many of my friends won't go to produce auctions ,can or cook from scratch all the time. That is ok I love them and respect their choices and they mine. Many are in debt real far and that is their choice I help when and if I can.

My point is that is OK what works for us might not work for them or you and your family. Take any tips here and on this board or the net that work for you, throw out what doesn't. Smile, be happy, live your life the best for you and yours. Keep your chins up and keep your eye on your goals. Each day and week move towards them with every little bit you save either to remain debt free, get debt free, or mortgage free, or just comfotable paying your budget. Life is an adventure but I am here to say it takes less stress of me, family and my life to be debt free. It was not easy and I appreciate all the tips on here, past and future, knowledge shared over the years and the common frugal goal.

See less See more
#2 ·
WTG and well done! It is always good to hear success stories and it is often a trade off between money, skills, and time. :)

Reactions: HappyMama
#3 ·
Thank you so much Ceashels for moderating, all your good tips over the years and your and Greebos inspiration.

My kids have sacrificed much as well. My son is finally getting a new to him computer as his was real old. We have tried to do hobbies here with games at home, sewing and my loom for me, to stay happy and focused. We finally will be finishing up our craft room which will have the loom, sewing machines, letterpresses, kilns, jewlery kilns and craft tables to continue to make memories and skills.

#4 ·
I thought I should add to this first post and tell you somethings I do that helped me get to this point.

We at one time had some huge medical debts and life.

We have a huge garden on a small lot. I plant cucumbers, melons and pumpkins on the fence ( I use slings to hold them once they get heavy). I plant lots vertical and in planters on all my patios. In all I plant over 100 tomato plants. I have many raised beds and have a large city type lot but it is still small in my eyes. I have a lettuce table and herbs everywhere. I attend produce auctions, can, dehydrate and freeze all I can to get me through next season. I love my garden and makes me happy.

I use my homemade and commercial solar oven lots. I also use my crockpot and stockpot all the time to make soups, broths etc.

I cook from scratch for health ( as I can't have M*S*G sorry for asteriks want to stay out of searchs) but the savings are phemomal as well. I cook and bake all my own food including dressings, granola,bread, cakes, cookies,broths, sauces etc
I do use as much organic or free range as possible and can do it with all my savings.

I also make my own yogurt, keifer, sourdough, sodas and the likes.

I make our own pizza and wings every friday. I use Italian pizza flour and it's fantastic as well as saves us tons.

I am adding solar panels I will be making to my new home for the gazebo, studio and home. Slowly but surely as I can afford and make.

I also grow many plants indoors.

I make herbal suppliments, my own soaps, liquid soaps, cleaners and laundry powder. Again for the organic ingredients and health but does save me as well.

We learned to do our own car repairs and home repairs.

I sew many things on my vintage singer ( I also have two industrial vintage sewing machines) and have sold many great bags and leather bags for extra cash or gifts.

We have tried to have an art studio for me for fun as well as teaching the kids skills. I have got all the equipment used over the years or free etc. I have kilns, sewing machines, knitting machines, two looms. painting supplies, bead making, and letter presses.

I have no cable but do watch things through the internet.

I will be doing a garden and dwarf trees at my new home. I wanted many acres but learned so much at planting vertical, and using all spaces I can plant more here then some of my friends use on their land. So I will be happy where I am planted and grow what I can on my new lot.

I stock up when on sale and watch ads for things I do buy like toilet paper., butter etc.

I use craigslist to find new to me for a fantastic price. You must have a list what you are looking for, what you are willing to pay and know your prices. Negotiate.

I live in a hot humid area in summer and don't use air conditioning but do have wonderful fans everywhere and the house stays cool most of time as brick and plaster.

I have a wood insert in the winter and that saves me tons and keeps the house warm as I won't sit in the cold.

New house I will have insert, boiler, a New Amish cook stove that will heat whole house as well and eventually solar.

Hope these tips might help some.

#6 ·
Thanks so much Brenda and hugs hugs hugs to you my good friend. I have thought of you often. Hope all is going well with you and the family. Your kids must be getting so big now. I know how hard you work at cooking and baking from scratch, all your stocking up and making laundry cleaners. I appreciate all your tips and all you have done for me all these years of keeping my spirits up. xo my friend. Hope we can catch up soon.

#8 ·
Thank you so much.

#9 ·
Congratulations! Very happy for you! Yes, I DO remember you and missed you :)

#10 ·
Thank you and big Hugs to you Niko my friend. Hope all is well.

Reactions: NikoSan999
#11 ·
That was so inspiring! So glad you came back for a visit! Would LOVE to see pics of your home. It was always my dream to own and restore a Victorian style house. My hubby never liked the idea! :( So I've learned to appreciate what I "do" have!!

Great post! Hope to hear more from you!!

Theresa :)

#14 ·
Thank you Theresa!! Many hugs and blessings to you and your sweet family. I know you are still rocking out all the deals and the grocery store and am so proud of you.!

Yes, I would love to share pics if you would like to see. I love Victorians and did many renovations on our old one. I will be refinishing the wood floors myself and taking down a couple rooms of paneling. I finally got one of my favorite deals and it is a couple of Chambers stoves and a Chambers cook top and oven. I am giving up my wolf for it. The one I bought happened to be refurbished already which can run up to 5,000.00. A Dr. bought a house with one in it, wanted it gone and he started at 1,000 and took my offer of 150.00 to get it out of there after having for sale for awhile. Pastry chefs love them, they have their own fan club which I was a member for years till I found my Girl. Their official way to cook is very "green echo friendly" even if they are from the 30's through 50's etc. They cook with the gas off, so you save 1/3 or more of your gas bill. You set a roast in cook for 30 minutes and turn gas off and it cooks. They are so well insulated that you can put icecream on top and cook and it will not melt. I have been looking for one in perfect shape for awhile. I am going to have two together with a huge backsplash, and hood ( stainless) to look like an imperial ( which was two chambers welded together but can run 12,000 to 25,000 and are hard to find) as well as a Chambers cooktop in an island ( these rival Viking's but are much older.,...LOL) They will save me in gas as well as bake the best pastries. Can't wait to show you pics since you love to cook as well.

Stay happy my friend and blessings,
Angel

#12 ·
I love reading about your life. Thanks for sharing it with us. I do have one question for you though. Where do you buy your 00 flour from and other bulk. I have been getting mine on Amazon. Did you find a better deal?

#15 ·
Thank you:)

Yes, I am from NY originally and learned a trick. Go to a local pizza place that uses it and see if they will let you order from them. If not go to a pizza distribution company and see if they will let you order. I go to one a couple hours away and they let me order and pay cash at side door, as I don't have a customer order. They are use to me now and let me phone order ahead, and have it ready for pick up. I order 6 months at a time and go twice a year. It costs me 33.00 for a 55 pound bag. I order quite a few...LOL. I store in food grade buckets with a bay leaves. I also get bulk organic olive oil, and many other supplies at times. Otherwise I had a wonderful person on ebay but cost me 70.00 in shipping :( couldn't do that, just wasn't feasabile. Hope that helps.

If you are in Florida you can have GFS order, otherwise they can't in other states.... :( not sure why??!!

#16 · (Edited)
I use Caputo 00 flour and gave some info in post above. I use it to make Pizza, Italian bread, forcaccia, pasta etc.

We use 00 grade Italian Caputo flour. This flour comes from Naples, from a family mill who have been producing the best flour in the world for making pizzas, ... I love Caputo seriously the best. Here is a link to them directly. Best darn flour ever. By the way they don't know I am writing this, not paid to review them etc our family just loves it. Pizzolas in Italy use it for all their pizzas.

Here is the exact one I use as it has worked best for me for all I use it for:

http://caputoflour.com/portfolio_item/00″-pizzeria/

Antico Molino Caputo | Flour of Naples

#17 · (Edited)
trying to be frugal, and others who might want info

Sorry didn't see you asked about other bulks until later.

I spend around 500- 600 a month for 4. I buy in bulk, produce auction, garden and have freezers ( yes freezers hehe) and pantry. No I am not worried about a power outage. I have done this system for years and has saved me so much in food costs, time and energy. No my electric bills don't cost too much....LOL Just answering these ahead. I do have a root cellar as well and will be making one at new one.

I buy mostly organic, free range, grass fed when I can. Bulk food is bought at Co-op and Amish mennonite stores ( beans, organic brown rice, etc) . I do buy bulk cheese at GFS or Co-op ( Feta, it freezes great). I buy butter at Meijers ( salt added as I wanted none of the other ingredients if you don't get salted) Or Aldi's lately for butter ( I buy 20 at time and freeze). I buy 60 pounds or raw honey from S Dakota ( as I want no G*M*O etc and can't guarantee that in Midwest.) I buy tons of fruit and veggies in summer at auction and grow in my garden. My budget does flucuate more lately as prices have gone up. I also get 30 -60 pounds of different frozen berries in bulk and repackage.

Love Aldi's lately and get tons of produce for eating during week there and got 50 pounds of organic pasta when they had as well as organic beef that was very good. I buy all my organic bananas there when I pass by.

I roast my own organic coffee beans. Awesome and you can do with a popcorn maker if needed. I also buy organic coffee, and organic cream.

I make my own icecream and do buy organic strawberries in the summer about 80 pounds to freeze for smoothies, cheesecakes and eating.
I do buy Dr. Bronners by the gallon for many uses at Co -OP and do make my own cleaners, theives oils, and my own soaps ( bar, and shampoo) . I make my organic powered laundry soap that smells and is like a famous brand that is way way too expensive for me to buy all the time. ( think yuppy high end boutique small bottle) So I make :)

Hope this helps some.

#18 ·
Thank you for your post! I too LOVE and buy that flour. The best price I have found is on Amazon. I usually buy it in bulk every six months. Very interesting to read about all the things you make from scratch. I am a tad behind you but not much. Over the years I have learned to make and do things I never thought possible. I also like to use Dr. Bonners for many things including homemade clothes detergent, the almond one is my favorite for that.

#19 ·
Isn't it wonderful once you start looking at possibilites, savings and recipes? It opens a whole new world, as well as the savings add up. I can't have certain additives or preservatives and at first would wander the store and feel sorry for myself and waste time...LOL then I realized how much time I save now by being able to make any dessert, treat, baked good or recipe by having the ingredients on hand. I have noticed the increase in prices lately and have been trying to keep ahead with my pantry stocking of spices etc. I buy those in bulk as well. I make my own vanilla and boy the prices of the beans doubled since last time I bought. All in all though I love the creativity of it all. Funny thing is my monthly budget still has lots of food, spices and pantry for many more months. I know people that spend 3 times what I do and never have any food left at the end of month or some by middle and don't have any ingredients or spices to make a thing as they used all processed.

I live in a small town moving to a smaller and grew up in where pizza and bakeries were all over. I don't have that luxury small town Midwest..... so love baking and making things for my family like I grew up with. I also make cold bakery style pizza as I started missing that. Having lived in CA for awhile we fell in love with Mexican cuisine so between Italian, Mexican, Chinese I can vary our meals a lot.

I can't say enough about DR. Bronners I use the liquid as a base for many cleaner recipes, theives oil cleaner, shampoo etc.

You are doing fantastic!!! Keep going. Your family must love all you make.

I hope you can find a local source for the Caputo, as it is the shipping that gets to you.

Hugs and Blessings.

Reactions: trying to be frugal
#23 · (Edited)
Thank you so much, would love to share some pics. I am showing some pics of my bargains for the new home so far. * Some of these pics are when I got the furniture and aren't put into my rooms of my home yet. What do you all think?

Building Wood Lighting Hall Floor
This is some fret work

Brown Cabinetry Property Wood Shelving
This is a set I got on craigslist for 100.00 ( 6 chairs, table, tablecloth, china hutch) and I am using this in my new house kitchen nook and making it shabby chic, with a victorian brass chandlier, cabbage rose valances, Victorian frame chalkboard etc) This is of the set when I bought it but not in my nook or house yet

Furniture Window Couch Comfort Wood
This is a Victorian fainting couch from England I got for 15.50 on ebay as it was listed in UK spelling of longue. I have a bear claw Victorian sofa set, and another fainting couch that matches this to a point as well as silk Victorian and velvet curtains that will go in the living room or formal parlor.

Furniture Table Flower Property Picture frame

Brown Couch Picture frame Plant Furniture
These are the Custom Chesterfield sofas I got for 1,000 that originally cost 24,000. I will be using these in the family room and have a wall unit of fireplace, the wing chairs and rug to complete it. I also have an anitque Chinese rose china and hidden desk that will be with this set as well as a small cabbage rose loveseat in beautiful shades of brown and deep plum. I have silk brocade curtains from the 1930's in salmon that will be in the daylight windows we are putting in.

#22 ·
To me and many pizza affectionados this is the Godfather of all flour. It does take getting use to the way the gluten works in it. It stretches so easy and is awesome. Can't say enough, there are many recipes on the net that use it. I have one that is a family recipe used in a pizzeria back in NY. Hope you try it and like it. Let me know.

#25 · (Edited)
Thank you Anna you are so kind. I have had lots of fun over the years picking up antiques, love estate, tag and auctions. These newest bargains for the new house were procured mainly from craigslist, the people with the lovely nook were downsizing and kept tell me I would need to refinish it...LOL ( but it is antique, beautiful, sturdy and so shabby chic just what I was looking for the breakfast nook! So no refinishing just tons of lace, and chandiliers now). The leather sofas, the Gentleman was a top executive of major company, (million dollar mainson) his wife had made custom and she passed away.He decided to move and sell most all. He put ad on craigslist and wanted to sell together he liked my response to him, and was only one who wanted both in first few replies. He held it for us and we had to drive 3 hours one way for them....LOL He also sold us lamps, chairs a nook sofa once we got there as he didn't want to deal with too many people. Lovely man we took him to lunch and had a fantastic time. I am lucky many of the people downsizing or selling lately had incredible taste, some of the pics where when I bought the pieces as they had advertised etc not in my new home rooms yet. I have everything stored in garage of new until we have the remodeling complete.

I have many antiques that have moved with me on both coasts and now Midwest. I have added to my collection over the years and try to get the stories with all my pieces. I have an Asian uncle so if history is too sad etc I pass as I tried to incorporate his ideas of Feng Shui, to a point but I love too many antiques and lace to go all the way....LOL I have had so much fun getting new things for the new house. My Gothic brick Victorian is about 3, 500 under the roof , new Victorian about 4, 500 - 5000 including sunporch. But for price I got home, we can get some new pieces and remodel so I am excited.

#27 ·
Thank you so much Pinetree for your kindness. I have had such fun. Right now I am hoping to get a sunroom set for the porch price is pennies on the dollar. Otherwise I wasn't going to furnish that until all else was done. Have a lovely weekend.

Reactions: pinetree
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.