Frugal Village Forums banner

Things You Need, but at What Quality?

4K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Winkie 
#1 ·
Things You Need, but at What Quality?
An observational thread of how we overspend on luxury needs

My mom had come over today to talk and we got to talking about how we overspend on extra fancy versions of needs, when does something you need transform into a "needed want"? We concluded that a "needed want" is a fancy, "higher-quality", expensive, special version of something we need. The "fancy, 'higher-quality', expensive, special version" part of it is the want. Where do you draw the line between you needing something or making a need a "needed want", and how much does it cost?

When I talk to people about frugal things I call the ages of 20-80 a "lifetime" because essentially we start paying for all our things in life when we are 18-20 years old, and essentially we will die around the age of 80, so our "pay for our own stuff 'lifetime'" is 60 years.

Here are some examples of mine of how we tend to have too many needed wants in our lifetime.

01. Toothbrushes

-If you replace your electric toothbrush every 5 years in your lifetime and replace the head every month = $4,800
-If you buy a nice $4 regular toothbrush every month in your lifetime = $2,880
-If you buy a dollar store toothbrush every month in your lifetime = $720
-If you buy toothbrushes in bulk at $0.07 from a specialty dealer online in your lifetime = $50
$4,800 VS $50

02. Toothpaste

-Baking soda & peroxide based toothpaste from regular store once a month in lifetime = $2,160
-Same type of toothpaste from a dollar store in lifetime = $720
-Same type of toothpaste from a dollar store with a $1 off coupon each time = $50
$2,160 VS $50

03. Dish Soap.

-One fancy bottle every week from regular store in lifetime = $9,360
-One regular bottle every week from regular store in lifetime = $5,760
-One regular bottle every week from a dollar store in lifetime = $2,880
-Making your own every week from soap bars and borax = $288
$9,360 VS $288

04. Drying Clothes

-5 loads of laundry a week dried in dryer in lifetime = $12,420!!
-5 loads of laundry a week 1/2 dried in summer or all year long = $0-$6,210
$12,420 VS $0

05. Laundry Detergent

-One 40 load bottle (brand name) bought every 2 months in lifetime = $1,800
-Two 20 load bottles (dollar store) bought every 2 months in lifetime = $720
-Making your own every 2 months from soap bars, borax, & washing soda in lifetime = $180
$1,800 VS $180

06. Toilet Paper

-One roll every week for one person (fancy brand) in lifetime = $1,728
-One roll every week for one person (dollar store) in lifetime = $720
-Using old clothing cut up and used for #1 wiping only + above for #2 in lifetime = $180
$1,728 VS $180

07. Household Cleaners

-Average spent in a household in lifetime = $48,000!!
-Average spent in a household making or buying dollar store cleaning supplies in lifetime = $3,200
$48,000 VS $3,200

08. Make-up

-Average spent on make-up in lifetime = $15,000
-Average spent on frugally buying make-up in lifetime = $10,000
-Average spent on buying the cheapest of make-up in lifetime = $1,500
-Average spent on buying cheap make-up with coupons in lifetime = $500
$15,000 VS $500

09. Heater / Heating

-Using a 2,000 square feet heating system in cold weather for 6 hours a day 6 months out of the year for a lifetime = $230,400!!
-Using a 300 watt heating dish, blankets, clothes, and mini 15 watt heating pads in lifetime for 6 hours a day 6 months out of the year $3,450
$230,400 VS $3,450

10. Shaving

-Buying a new razor head every week in lifetime = $5,760
-Buying 3 packs of 10 disposable razors a month at a dollar store in lifetime = $2,160
-Buying a straight razor for a lifetime = $30
$5,760 VS $30

11. Haircuts

-Getting a trim every 3 months at a fancy salon in a lifetime = $7,200
-Getting a trim every 3 months at a regular salon in a lifetime = $3,600
-Trimming your hair yourself every 3 months in a lifetime = $0
$7,200 VS $0

12. AC / Cooling

-Using an central AC system 12 hours a day 6 months a year in a lifetime = $61,200!!
-Using a 150 watt window AC unit & 3 box fans 12 hours a day 6 months a year in a lifetime = $7,860
-Taking cold baths/showers, using 1 box fan 12 hours a day 6 months a year, staying in public where it is cool, closing your window blinds, and staying hydrated in a lifetime = $1,740
$61,200 VS $1,740

13. Coffee

-Buying a cafe coffee everyday in a lifetime = $109,500!!
-Making a cup at home with regular coffee, creamer, and sugar everyday in lifetime = $10,950
-Taking a caffeine pill everyday in lifetime = $2,932
-Kicking the caffeine habit = $0
$109,500 VS $0

TOTAL

$509,328 VS $9,668​

$509,323
-You conveniently got your coffee anywhere, but you could also buy a thermos.
-You got to walk around your house in your undies in the winter, and wore whatever in the summer.
-Someone else touched your hair.
-You felt important showing off your designer make-up to your girlfriends.
-You paid for a name on your cleaners.
-You didn't have to clip coupons.
-You got to have a machine dry your clothes and brush your teeth.

for... $509,323

$9,668
With the difference I got to...

-Pay my house off.
-Pay my student loans off.
-Pay my car off and get a second car.
-Go on twelve vacations to different parts of the world with someone.
-and have all the needs above only a diluted version.

Share your observations too!

See less See more
#2 ·
I think sometimes you get what you pay for. Dollar store product is seldom equal to brand name. There are times when it does just fine, and there are times when it doesn't even come close.

As for the rest.... just as an example, a cold shower and a box fan doesn't cut it in this region. NOT an option in the summer. Sometimes choices really aren't.

Reactions: NikoSan999
#3 · (Edited)
Our dentist gives out free toothbrushes, so zero cost.

The last time I used the cheap Chinese toothpaste from the dollar store, I ended up with a huge chunk of broken glass in my mouth. Never again.

I've tried soap bars and borax for dishwashing and it didn't work. I also don't use a whole bottle of dish soap from the store in a week, and I go through a lot of dish soap every day. Besides, the more expensive stuff goes much further than the cheap dollar store watered-down stuff. I also tried making laundry soap (it's not detergent) and all that happened was our clothes got amazingly gray and stinky, not clean.

Why wear make up? Not wearing make up, which is not a need, is free.

I'm curious where you got the figure you quoted for a "2,000 sf heating system". I'm not sure exactly what that is, but last winter, one of the coldest on record here, we heated about 3,500 sf 24 hours a day at about 65 degrees plus a gas fireplace for zone heating to about 72 degrees, using a propane forced air system, at a cost of around $2,300 for eight months straight. Multiplying that times sixty years is just over half what you quoted, for a whole lot more heating. Not sure what a 300 watt heating dish is either, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't cut it in this climate. And heating a home in Minnesota in the winter is not a luxury.

I've never drunk coffee or tea, so no savings there since it's not a savings unless I've used it in the past but now don't. Coffee and tea are wants, not needs.

Just ~my~ observations. :)

#7 ·
Our dentist gives out free toothbrushes, so zero cost.
Same here yaaay

The last time I used the cheap Chinese toothpaste from the dollar store, I ended up with a huge chunk of broken glass in my mouth. Never again.
Sorry to hear that, my Dollar Tree sells Crest and Colgate, same kind that can be found at other places.

I've tried soap bars and borax for dishwashing and it didn't work. I also don't use a whole bottle of dish soap from the store in a week, and I go through a lot of dish soap every day. Besides, the more expensive stuff goes much further than the cheap dollar store watered-down stuff. I also tried making laundry soap (it's not detergent) and all that happened was our clothes got amazingly gray and stinky, not clean.
My Dollar Tree sells Ajax and Palmolive, same kind that can be found at other places. Sorry to hear the borax and soap bars didn't work for you. I usually add some essential orange oil and lavender oil, plus use twice as much as recommended. I suggest you try a liquid detergent DIY version, it works even better if you melt the soap bars down ahead of time.

Why wear make up? Not wearing make up, which is not a need, is free.
I agree, it's not a need, but a personal choice. I like to look like a million bucks :)

I'm curious where you got the figure you quoted for a "2,000 sf heating system".
Michale Blue Jay it was based on the average $0.13 Kilo for America.

I've never drunk coffee or tea, so no savings there since it's not a savings unless I've used it in the past but now don't. Coffee and tea are wants, not needs.
I agree, but most of America doesn't haha. Working as a barista at Starbucks you see how people consider it a need lol.

I didn't say, "this is the best way for everyone" and I also didn't say you either had to do the most expensive extreme version or the extreme cheapskate version. I showed levels, the point of this thread is to expand you mind about just how badly do we really need expensive versions of needs.

I...

-Use a heating system
-Use an AC system
-Use disposable razors
-Use some designer make-up

I'm not saying these extremes because I think doing otherwise is bad, I am just trying to make a point, it's obvious no one could or would do all of these things.

#5 ·
I agree completely you get what you pay for and there are some areas where if I'd live there I would never go without AC. The main point of this thread is to expand out mindset of just how much do we "need" in an item. However, testing a cheaper product once to see if it does the job just as well could save you thousands in your lifetime. I took the risk to buy one of every type of cleaner at the Dollar Tree and this is what I concluded, I can honestly say...

Bold = Much lower quality
Underline = Slightly less quality

Bleach
Baking soda
Laundry detergent
Dish soap
Carpet cleaner
Window cleaner
Furniture polish
Air freshener
Cat litter
Carpet stain cleaner
Dishwasher soap
Fabric softener
Duster
Floor cleaner
Ammonia
Sponges
Scrub brushes
Mops
Cleaning bucket

It depends on the item. If you have an extra $10 to possibly save thousands down the line, try them. I don't have an amazingly immaculate apartment but I do have a very clean apartment that hasn't been damaged by any of the cleaners.

#6 ·
I'm confused. You stated in the OP you saved enough to pay off your house. But in your next post, you mentioned living in an apartment.

I think if you're looking for people whose minds are already 'expanded', then this forum is the place to find people like that. Most of us here are already doing all sorts of interesting things to save money, and most of us make things like paying off our houses a priority. Not to say we can't all learn new tricks sometimes, though! :)

#8 ·
I also said in the original post that these numbers are based on a "lifetime" age 20-80 and my age is stated under my avatar as 27. I don't think at 27 as a Starbucks barista that I would be able to buy a house and pay off the mortgage lol. Sarcasm aside, I was speaking in the 3rd person for last part of the first post. I do agree, I could have executed that better... my professor would have scolded me.

#9 ·
I do not think the math is as easy as it appears in the original post Here are a few examples.

1) we were buying the regular Crest or Colgate etc. When I was in my 20's I would roll my eyes and think who would spend more on that higher priced upgrade Crest etc. and would pick up my regular crest or Colgate. Last forward 10 to 15 years. I am at the Dentist. I find out my gums are in bad shape that is why my tooth are hurting. Have to spend a ton on Periodontal cleaning and special more frequent check ups and cleaning after that. One day I had a coupon I decided to spend the extra on the upgrade Crest. At the next 3 month check up they said my gums had significantly improved. Better than they had estimated. They moved me to regular timed check ups then regular check ups not periodontal ones. Both which saved us money ( insurance pays 100% of regular check ups but hardly anything of periodontal ones). Everyone in the family started using the upgrade toothpaste and they got better check ups too. If we had just tried and spent more on the upgrade toothpaste the lifetime amount on teeth would have been less.

2) If my SIL had chosen more supportive shoes ( generally more expensive)i in her younger days she would have saved money as she would not have to be paying for orthodontics and trips to her foot doctor now.

3) we would get others telling us how unfrugal we were to be buying such expensive pj's for our daughter. It saved us by not needing as much medicine or doctor visits for her eczema. I also helped her sleep at night which in turn would help us as parents get a goodnight sleep. That could have potentially saved us tons of money and even saved Hubby's job. So we might never know how much it really saved us with out a time machine.

On the subject of the Dollar Tree and such. I do not think it is always money saving. Sure that soap is a dollar. But the one I checked out buying was a smaller size then the same kind was a walmart. When I did the math the $1 one was more expensive. if I went with bulk buying of said soap at walmart or other stores it was even cheaper. The same thing happened with our favorite cracker treats. I was excited to see them for a $1 at dollar tree but when I got the box home is was smaller then the same one at another store. They math worked out that the $1 one was more expensive.

#10 ·
Sorry to hear that, my Dollar Tree sells Crest and Colgate, same kind that can be found at other places.
Actually, the toothpaste in question was Colgate, made in China. We try to avoid any Chinese products that get put into our bodies, considering how often we hear on the news about questionable ingredients put into products made for us or our pets coming out of China.

I have zero interest in trying the homemade laundry soap again. Using the same ingredients, whether in liquid form or granular form, would produce the same smelly result. Adding essential oils might mask the stink a little, but wouldn't actually make our clothes cleaner, and would add to the cost of the laundry soap. Cheap detergent works for us and for the two of us, costs very little, doesn't require me to make it, and I doubt we'd save very much anyway.

#11 ·
who changes their toothbrush every month? Once every 3-6 months is fine. Or uses one disposable razor a DAY? Or a bottle of dish soap a week? I think the math is skewed because of these.

Some things you can get away with cheapness, others are worth spending more for, like a Stainless steel thermos instead of a glass one, that might (or in my case, will) break.

We just moved to a place with a dryer and no clothesline, and I miss hanging clothes out. I did bring a drying rack, and still do wash on a nice day and put the small stuff out on the rack, on the back deck. No complaints yet from the neighbors!

#12 ·
You guys just reminded me of why I've stayed away from forums for so long... I just spent hours writing some threads and posts only to have people not consider how hypothetical, vague, and not to be taken 100% literally they are. Every detail was smashed to pieces. I can't tell you how to live your lives. Goodbye Frugal Village!

#13 ·
I'm sorry, but I don't live in a hypothetical, vague world. If you're going to take a stance on a position your logic and math has to hold up to scrutiny.

Please don't take it personally. Nobody is attacking _you_.

#14 ·
agreed, if you are going to do a list like that, be realistic. compare apples to apples. You might as well say a new toothbrush a week. If you are going to come up with a specific figure of money you save in a lifetime, don't just pick numbers out of air.

Don't go away mad, stick around and we can all benefit from swapping ideas.

#15 ·
Sometimes buying higher priced items translates into better health and better quality of life. For example, I bought two Stress Less leather recliners and a matching couch ten years ago. They are still in great condition and have not lost any of their support. Yes, they were expensive but I intend to keep them for the rest of my life.

Studies have shown that electric toothbrushes do a much better job at cleaning your teeth and reducing the bacteria that causes plaque. You can probably get away with cheap floss if your teeth are spaced properly. I'll stick with my electric toothbrush.

Heating and cooling depends on where you live and your choice of homes. I live in Florida in a 1,300 sf condo. Total cost to heat and cool my condo for a year = less than $1,000.

I'll more than make up on the coffee/tea. I only drink water :)

My point is that frugality is very personal. I tend to spend money on things that will help me live healthier and better my quality of life. I know I could cut down my grocery bill by buying non-organic but good food is more important to me than clothes, makeup, or most other things.

Just another perspective.

#17 ·
Heating and cooling depends on where you live and your choice of homes. I live in Florida in a 1,300 sf condo. Total cost to heat and cool my condo for a year = less than $1,000.
This totally amazes me. $1,000 a year! Where I am, for a 1,300 sf home it is common to have a $500 or higher heating bill for one winter month.

The big house down the street has a average utility bill of $2,000 a month. That house goes on the market a lot.

#19 ·
The statement that concerns me most is: " I don't think at 27 as a Starbucks barista that I would be able to buy a house and pay off the mortgage lol."

At 27, even as a Starbucks barista it is entirely possible to have a paid-off house. Of course, it depends on where you live, when you start saving and the kind of house you buy, but it IS possible.

Are we picking apart your post? Sorry. Writers need criticism. I hate it, too, especially when I've spent a lot of time researching an article. I just hate to admit that the "editorial process" ends up making my work better. My writing is my baby and I dread the process of putting it up for review. But then again, one of my biggest thrills is seeing something I wrote make its way around the internet. Instead of going away angry, think about the feedback you're getting and find ways to make your concept more persuasive. I will guess that your motivation in writing the post was not to "sing to the choir" but to write a piece that would inspire a spend thrift to try frugality. If so, you don't want your article dismissed out of hand. So make it better. You can do this.

#20 ·
At 27, even as a Starbucks barista it is entirely possible to have a paid-off house. Of course, it depends on where you live, when you start saving and the kind of house you buy, but it IS possible.
Unfortunately, that statement is not realistic for the west coast of the U.S. I know you put in the caveat of "where you live" but for many of us home, family and work are in a more expensive area so we have to live accordingly.

I do think that the list was unrealistic, but I appreciate the sentiment. Most of us make choices on everyday things, and we can make a difference in our lives by making more frugal choices.

#22 ·
I'm also debt free with a lot of savings and I travel internationally on average every other month or so. I like and use an electric toothbrush, enjoy spa treatments, know that all cosmetics are not crated equal, etc. I have a Louis Vuitton handbag and have budgeted for a second one, a growing collection of antique and vintage jewelry, a pair of Christian Louboutins, designer dresses, etc. By being frugal in areas that don't matter to me, I'm able to splurge in the areas that do. Frugality is very personal.

That said, your assumptions about consumption/replacement frequency are skewed to make your point, and you come across smug.

#23 ·
"By being frugal in areas that don't matter to me, I'm able to splurge in the areas that do. Frugality is very personal."-The Muse
I love this quote and it reflects perfectly how I feel about frugality! I'm writing this down in my quote book. Well done!
This attitude has allowed Hubs and me to pay off our mortgage, send our children on graduation trips overseas and bankroll their undergraduate degrees (everything not covered by scholarships)etc.etc. All the while driving very old cars(now 18 and 14 years old) buying almost everything used, not eating out etc.

#25 ·
I agree with the above three posts up to a certain point as I, too, am frugal in some ways so I can afford the quality things I want.

However, frugality for some people is a necessity. If a person is only making $10 an hour, then it is necessary to live a life of frugality.....probably in every way possible. That's not to say that some people making $10 an hour cannot move up economically but some cannot for various reasons.

My only point being to reiterate that frugality is very personal and also dependent on financial and economic circumstances.

I do think the spirit of the original post was helpful. Even though we can all maintain that much of the data might be "off" in one way or another, it does give one an idea that things we might not consider significant in one purchase can amount to a significant savings when expanded over a lifetime.

#26 ·
I enjoyed the post. Didn't matter if I don't change out my toothbrush every month, it was very well written & I certainly got the point.

:)

#27 ·
I liked the idea of the post. I hope she realizes we are all financial analyists in our own way here.
For me it just comes from a younger perspective.
When I was in my 20's an electric Toothbrush would have been a luxury item and the free toothbrush from the dentist was fine.
Now I take meds that give me dry mouth and therefore tooth decay so an electric is a must.
And many examples in kind.

I agree w/ the philosophy of being frugal in 1 area to splurge in another. Also an age diff. When we had just gotten our new house we had nothing leftover. I remember Faygo cans on sale 10/$1. was our splurge. We would save pop cans to get an occasional twist cone. We walked up to the stand. Now we are also debt free and our perspective is diff. I will splurge on a freezer soon.

#28 ·
I can't stress enough the importance of frugal living even when wages are good. My hubby now makes less than half of what he made for 17 years when the company was sold and he was laid off. Today we are considered living on poverty line wages but living well because we both had a habit of saving hard during the good years. This mean't rarely eating out, no Tim Hortons, no smoking or alcohol, shopping second hand, driving vehicles till they cost too much to repair (now we have two sons that are mechanics :) We diligently maxed out our retirement contribution amounts for those 17 years and left the money to grow. Now we are living on 'poverty line' wages but that is ok because we don't need to be stressed out. If people today would just learn to save instead of whipping out the credit card, we would be living in a much different society. It even frustrates me that the concept of saving is hard to teach to some of our own kids!

#29 ·
momoffiveboys-I agree w/ the whole philosophy but I just want to say CC's arent bad if the people dont act like children w/ them. We made $21. last month and $25. this month running things thru the CC and paying right away when it shows up online. NO interest paid anymore. I paid them enough,now they pay me.
CC's must be thought of as a loan and not part of your income. AND if you know you cant pay it back and use it anyway you are stealing.
We do all those things and now we are messing w/ the points prog. to make money. I have the goal of living on 1/2 our income w/ the same thought due to DH's ailing body and his companies constant layoffs.

#30 ·
To me the whole point of this thread was to make us stop and think not to suggest we HAD to do everything or that everything would work for everyone. Most of us would find some things that would not work for us, but if the list made us THINK then it was worth posting.

I do make my own laundry detergent, but I also buy Tide to use for whites. I do hang my laundry outside when weather permits, but I also use a gas dryer (which costs much less than the projected amount on the list). I could carry my laundry to the basement and hang it there, but I figure the risk of falling with a basket of wet laundry isn't worth the savings. I buy name brand dish soap because I'm allergic to most due to the scents in them, but I certainly do not use a bottle a week. Most of my household cleaning is done with bleach, soda, vinegar or a combination thereof. I do have ammonia that I use on occasion which was purchased from the dollar store years ago...I don't use it often. We spend around $100 per month on the budget plan for all our heating (gas for water & forced air), cooling and electricity for our 1400 sq. ft. ranch home. Our budget plan has been as low as $91 a month and as high as $121 currently due to the severe winter.

#31 ·
Anna43, I agree with you. I like books & articles & posts that make me think. No matter which area you focus on, if you are making choices that save you money & are comfortable with it, you are on your way. Also your focus will change over the years. The choices I made thirty years ago are different than the ones I make now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.