I'm having a frugal dilemma!!! *UPDATE*
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I'm having a frugal dilemma!!! *UPDATE*

Okay, so yesterday, one of my piano students gave me a $25 gift card to Kohl's for Christmas. VERY generous. Here's my dilemma...I know it is a gift for me, however, I was planning on going to Kohl's today anyway to see if I could find a shirt and a really sturdy ice scraper for dh for Christmas. Do I use the $25 gift card on the Christmas gifts, thus deflating the cost of the holiday and still using it for "the family"? (I have this problem a lot with gift cards, except for Barnes and Noble because dh doesn't enjoy reading, but I can ALWAYS think of things to buy the family instead of myself.) The truth is, I don't need anything and I really don't want anything from Kohl's at this point. But, I can't help thinking that maybe after the baby is born I'll want to treat myself to something nice and comfy. Oh, I just don't know what to do, because I really want to continue to save and not spend, but I'm buying dh Christmas gifts one way or the other. Okay, now I'm just rambling, but I could definitely use your worldly advice, ladies.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka LaciBob lucy979's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Amy, I think you should use the card for yourself. I have the same problem when I get money for gifts. But I never buy myself anything and dh and dd always get new stuff. So I say use it for yourself. You deserve it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I 've had this dillema too Amy. Still putting off my online spending purchace that Dh & kids gave me for my birthday in November because we have teeth that need fixing, college & other bills to pay. I often use my gc's to bookstores on others too.

I would use it now on Dh and then promise myself that later I owe myself something special at a later date. And follow through with no guilt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Darlene

I would use it now on Dh and then promise myself that later I owe myself something special at a later date. And follow through with no guilt.
    It makes more frugal sense to spend the GC on your dh since you will be buying him those gifts regardless.

Do spend some money on yourself for something nice once the baby is here. With 2 kids, you'll NEED some pampering

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree....I'd use it now & 'owe' myself later.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i agree too. use it now on dh, but only if you can promise to treat yourself later. money is always tight this time of year. it would be so wonderful to have that little "extra" to help out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would use it for your dh's gifts....but I agree with the others...do something just for you when the baby arrives!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with the others, use it on your dh now and write yourself an IOU for later once the baby comes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with what everyone else said Amy but be SURE to spend something on you later....I always seem to be able to "forget" that part of the deal.

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Master Dollar Stretcher dz_blonde_girl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know how you feel. I've been carrying a Penny's gift card around for a long time. It was a gift to me, but it's hard for me to buy stuff for myself. So, obviously, if it was me, I'd hang on to it and take myself shopping after the baby is born. (I'd probably end up buying something for the baby though, lol) You could also save it for the after Christmas Clearance! You could be frugal and splurge on yourself at the same time!

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Amy,
    I'd use it now for DH's gift and buy something for yourself later. This way you can use the $25 anywhere you want later and not be limited to shopping at Kohl's.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, you all pretty much advised what I was already thinking anyway. I used the gc to get dh's gifts and lowered the price of Christmas a little more. Truth be told, I know myself and I will not buy myself anything later on, but the fact of the matter is, I also know that I will find it to be a little gift when the credit card bill comes and it is that much lower because I went the frugal route this time. Thanks for the advice!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm glad you were able to use the card on your DH. DH and I got a gift card to Bed, Bath & Beyond for a wedding gift and I used it to buy all the Groomsmens gifts and the gift bags and most of the stuff we put in the gift bags that went to the family that stayed at the hotel with us.

I love gift cards....lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You made a good decision Amy. I would have done the same...It sure will be a gift to have a lower credit card bill...