Besides the regular supermarkets, is there other stores that sell food items?
    MMP
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Besides the regular supermarkets, is there other stores that sell food items?

Not only do I get food at the regular supermarkets, which are United, Homeland, Jumbo's, SaveALot and SuperWalmart, I find food items at Big Lots and another salvage store we have called Walls.

My favorite salvage store back in Oregon is slowly moving eastward as Aldi's is slowly moving westward. We are suppose to get an Aldi's next spring/summer. And my favorite salvage store, Canned Food Grocery Outlet, has opened a store just over the border in Texas. Too bad it is actually an 8 hour drive to get there and I drive a gas guzzing sucker machine. LOL

As food goes up, I might have to seek out other sources for getting food, just not supermarkets and gardening(which is not something I do at this time).

Editted to add: There is a salvage store in OKC that I go to sometimes. Unfort. the gas guzzling problem crops up with that too. LOL.

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been finding some great deals on food items at the Dollar stores in our area.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree, some of my best deals are at the Dollar General Store. I actually like their spaghetti suce mix better than the name brand. It's only 3/$1, compared to $1.50+ each for name brand. I can get kidney beans for 3/$1 ,too. Their prices are better on,milk bread, snack foods and feminine products,as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Walmart has food items and continues to expand in that area in our province.

I purchase a large amount of my grocery items at the health food store. And during the summer months, I always check out the farmer's markets before I purchase anything at a grocery store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Besides the grocery stores, I buy food at Super Walmart and farmers markets. I don't usually buy food from the Dollar store or Odd Job Lots.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I get the bread I like at BigLots now. 99 cents vs. $2.89 at the store. Dollar general has good deals too, that is where I use to get most of my spices.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our Super Target has groceries and I buy quite a bit there. I also work for Target HQ so get my normal discount on groceries except produce and meat that is wrapped at the store. I usually buy my produce/ dairy at Aldi's. I also shop Big Lots, although there is not one near me, so only when I go to that area of town.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob baronmom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always buy most of my groceries at Amelia's. It is similar to an Aldi's but they have a lot of name brand stuff as well. As an example I can get juice boxes a pack of 10 for $.99 verses $2.50 in the regular grocery store, and name brand cereal for $.99 a box. The best part is that they do take some coupons. They have great deals. I have a dairy right down the road where I get my milk. So much cheaper than the stores. Once in a while when I am in the mood for fresh veggies, I go to the farmers market down the road. Great deals there as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I get a lot of things at the 99 cents store. We also shop Henry's for fruits and vegetables. It's so much cheaper than Vons or Albertsons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy at Aldis first, Dollar General 2nd, tge Farmer's' Market 3rd when in season, Super Walmart and I grow a lot of my fruit and veggies.

I'm always looking for good prices on food. I never ever turn down free produce (if I think it's past eating shape I put it in the compost heap)

I get a lot of canned goods at Dollar General and their price on spices is unbeatable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Grocery shopping is WalMart, Albertsons (yuck! but it's the closest), Winco, Costco and Fred Meyer (which is really Raley's).

I also shop at the Orowheat Bakery Outlet (best price for cold cereal). Produce comes from a fruit stand called "Reggie's Veggies". A teenager in the neighborhood just started her own business so now she delivers fresh eggs (from the chickens that she raises) to our door for $2 a dozen! She actually only charges $1.50 for the eggs but we round up with a tip.

When I participated on another frugal board, I posted my theory about "stepping down" to grocery savings. The first tier is buying all our groceries at top tier grocery stores. The second is buying groceries at discount grocery stores. Lower is buying food at outlets like the bakery outlet and the canned goods store. Also look into warehouse places like "Cash n Carry". Then there is buying directly from suppliers (the farmer, the fisherman, the butcher, etc), bulk houses and wholesalers. Even lower are buying co-ops and sweat-equity sources. For instance, there are places where you can work in a cannery for the day then buy - at a deep discount - the food you just processed. An example of a co-op would be "World Share". The lowest tier is eating only foods you can grow or produce yourself (or in your community) and not eating any processed foods at all unless they were home canned and preserved. For instance, bread is acquired by grinding your own wheat to make the flour. Most of us never get to that level but I have gotten as low as the level before that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also have found the Dollar General to be a good source of cookies and snack crackers. I shop at Aldi, they just built a new one in my neighborhood, and I am THRILLED! There is an Orowheat/Enteman's thrift shop near my home too. I love Orowheat breads. I priced a loaf at Super Wal-Mart yesterday, and it was $2.82 a loaf! The 100% whole wheat (wide loaf) at Aldi is excellent too, and it is only $1.29. Aldi has great bagels, also.