What kind of changes have you made?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What kind of changes have you made?

I am fairly new to the frugal thing, so I am curious to see what kind of big changes you have made to become more frugal - besides not spending money that is.

For example - there was a time that if you told me I would be wearing clothes from Goodwill or second hand off of ebay I would have died. But, most all of my clothes are second hand or gifts!

What kind of things have you done - maybe you'll spark ideas for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some of the things I have done are using the comp ads at Wal Mart, making a lot more casseroles, washing clothing in cold water, And hanging clothing to dry on the line and in the basement.
    I still have a long way to go. The important thing to remember is that you can always find more ways to save.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Its true that there aren't near as many big ways to save as there are small ways. I do lots of little things such as canceling my long distance and using a calling card (had paid more for the privelage than actual calls). I use cloth napkins, quiting smoking was a big savings, shop around for rates, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Following a budget has been the biggest change for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Making the committment for absolutely no more debt was a huge one for us. We also searched and searched for a way to start our little snowball payment. It takes a very little to do and when you start with you see results, which keeps you motivated.

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Almost all of our clothing comes from Thrift stores, yard sales or clearance racks. I also garden can, dehydrate, etc.. But the biggest change for our family came when my twins got my husband into hunting (he had never done this before) and he got not 1 but 2 deers this year. Then, and this is the biggie for me, we processed one of the deer ourselves. Yep, cut and wrapped the whole thing. I never, ever thought I would do something like this. I used to get grossed out just watching my Mom clean fish but now I do that too and taught all the neihghborhood kids how to do it along with my boys!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

HI!

I have been frugal-minded for most of my life, I just here recently really started buckling down ( Amy D's TCTWG totally inspires me) Here are some thing I do/have always done.

~wash in cold water
    ~use half the detergent
    ~save/wash baggies
    ~use Dry Milk
    ~dont eat out
    ~Buy store brands
    ~Buy gas at Sheetz
    ~Reuse my coffee filters 2 days
    ~My whole wardrobe is Brand Name Amer Eagle, Abercrombie, Express, all From Yard Sales/Goodwill
    ~Get freebies online
    ~wash hair every other day
    ~dont use paper towels
    ~use the library
    ~sell on eBay
    ~turn lights off/unplug things
    ~eat less meat
    ~bring food from home( to work)
    ~auto send $ to savings acct each week
    ~make things last!
    ~always call your companies to compare rates (insurance, etc)
    ~never pay late fees (budget accordingly to ensure this)
    ~shop loss leaders , store brands and other sources of groceries, example Big Lots, salvage outlets, bread thrift shops WALMART DOES NOT ALWAYS HAVE THE LOWEST PRICE

~megan

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~We will be cutting the cable to ltd. basic + internet. $30/month savings.
    ~Cancelling the newspaper. $9/month savings.
    ~Traded in the van for a smaller car. $110/month savings.

~The biggy needs to be eating out less.
    ~I also want to cut down/out soda, chips, junk.

~I'm sure I'll come up with some more before long.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

-I now shop a lot at Goodwill and ebay.
    -I use lots of coupons.
    -I "read" the sale papers every week and make out lists of sale items to get.
    -I try to buy as much as I can on sale or used
    -I cut dryer sheets into thirds.
    -I use half the recommended laundry detergent.
    -I do laundry in cold water.
    -I do dishes by hand more often than using the dishwasher
    -I now have a pantry.
    -We cut our internet service bill in half by getting a year-long contract with them.
    -We made some changes in our long distance service that cut our bill in half.
    -We now file warranties instead of tossing them or losing them in clutter, and so far have received a new tire because we kept the road hazard paperwork and knew where it was.
    -We eat out less.
    -I've stopped dipping into savings
    -I stopped using a store credit card, and we now have one card that we pay off every month, and only one that has a running balance(big change from having three with a running balance)
    -Regularly clean the furnace filter so it will run at maximum efficiency
    -Turn off lights more often and unplug more things, shut down the computer every night
    -Had my first container garden this past summer and planted strawberries
    -Make brownies to trade for coupon inserts with dh's coworker, lol
    -Close blinds and curtains at night in the winter to conserve heat and open them during the day to let in sunshine
    -Dh and I now get excited over good deals and free stuff, lol
    -I'm teaching dd how to be a smart shopper and clip coupons. She is getting in the habit of looking for stuff on sale and waiting for things.
    -I've learned that I don't need nearly as much "stuff" as I thought I did, lol. After two yard sales I still feel overwhelmed with stuff and wonder why I ever thought I needed all this stuff in the first place!

We have made a lot of changes but we still aren't as frugal as we could be. But I think we've made a good start and I've learned a LOT from this site!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Besides taking may of the action in the above post the most important to me is a budget.

We dont always follow the budget but at least there is a plan.

We budget and save for future expenses like ins etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too do a lot of the things listed above, but one of the biggest chages I have made is to stop taking money out of savings and make do with what I already have. Everytime I used to take out money from savings it was never an emergency, so this was so terrible for me to do and now I really regret it. I could have a lot more money in my account by now! So I have started an emergency fund on top of my regular savings account...and even though the EF is small right now, it gives me peace of mind to know there is "just in case" money so I do not have to take money out of my main savings account.

cmu
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

basically, I do the common sense things...coupons and sale shopping....

I have also gotten more into trying to keep the house clutter/mess free so as I am working on this I find that I am not using the computer/tv as much and I am not out and about so I can't spend money

I took advantage of my company's Flexable Spending plan for our prescriptions that are a must have and our known doctors appointments for the year..this money comes out of my check pre tax and I don't have to wait till I have enough in the account to cover the payments.. (I am paying into it $15.00 every other week for the rest of the year but it is already worth $400 if something should happen)

all of my kid's clothing were gifts/sale items
    I make dd#1 lunch to take to school rather than buying
    I don't eat lunch because I am generally not hungry so I wait till I get home to eat dinner

I wash my laundry in cold water, cut my dryer sheets in half

Thats all I can think of right now, but I am sure I do more than that

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The one thing I've changed is that I do NOT carry my ccs with me at all. I was buying into using my Discover for just my living expenses but even doing this I found myself constantly playing catch-up. I haven't used my cards for almost a month now and I am so looking forward to getting ahead of the game instead of paying for yesterday.

I should clerify this by saying except for the visa that I carry a balance on @ 0% interest till July I don't carry a balance on the others so I was paying the bill on the Discover & AmEx at the expense of paying as much as I can on the Visa. I know it sounds like I have a lot of cc usage, and I do, but I haven't paid a dime in cc interest in probably 5 years, so I'm not wasteful, just a slave to paying. I am going to change that!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got rid of long distance, only use my cell phone for important calls and not just to chat, stopped over buying clothes for my girls, cook at home more, regift things I don't use, don't shop just for fun anymore, make cards instead of buying them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use the library a lot.

Keep costly kids' activities to a minimum -- keep my ear out for free family activities. (And there are more than I can take advantage of!)

Grocery shop, stockpile, make menus, and cook almost every night.

Assign regular chores to the kids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast