Frugal Village Forums banner

Fast $5 ???

Tags
fast
4K views 29 replies 29 participants last post by  Thevail 
#1 ·
Let's list some ways to save five dollars.

Pack your lunch instead of eating out- saves at least $5

Haul out the sewing machine or needle & thread- do some mending- will save at least $5 instead of buying a new shirt, pants, etc.

#9 ·
Go to the library to borrow dvds/videos. Save $3.00 (more or less) on EACH one you check out!

Get a take and bake pizza instead of having one delivered.

Buy a 2 L bottle of soda and pour into your own cups. Give a family of six soda at home for .58 (WalMart soda) instead of 1.25 each at the fast food emporium.

Check out a magazine at the library instead of buying one.

#10 ·
Read your local newspaper online if possible and save on the subscription rates. :toothy:

Reactions: Debbie-cat
#11 ·
Don't carry cash. You won't be as tempted to purchase those extra little things (especially snacks and fast food) if you have to either write a check or pay with a credit card.

Pay at the pump at gas stations. Don't go inside and be tempted by the coffee and candy.

#13 ·
1. Turn heat down
2. use open curtains to let sun in for heat and light
turn off lights
3. line dry clothes instead of using dryer
4. wear clothes if not soiled two days
5. use towel from bath/shower more than one day
6. vaccum once a week instead of every day
7. change bedding every two weeks instead of weekly
8. line dry jeans and iron to help dry faster
9. sligthly starch clothes to decrease the wrinkles in clothes when line drying.:curtain:

#15 ·
If you're going to buy gift cards for restaurants, (gifts, etc.) wait until they offer a $5 rebate, gc or coupon for you, too! Pump your own gas, but don't buy windshield wash fluid at the gas station. Offer to babysit a neighbor's kid for and hour if they'll watch yours. Take a rider whenever you're going to have to pay for parking. You drive, they pay parking you both benefit. Keep a couple of meals ready to heat 'n eat for those nights you'd be tempted to eat out rather than cook.

#16 ·
Do hobbies that are 'productive' instead of costly...ie...baking (make own bread, etc.), crocheting (make baby gift from on sale yarn), etc.

Use craigslist and/or freecycle for shopping when you need large or expensive items. It keeps you out of the stores where you'll buy other things and is MUCH cheaper (not to mention "earth friendly").

#17 ·
Make your own birthday cards. If you buy 1 per week at $5, that's $1 per day. So make 5 in one evening.....

Reactions: Incognito
#18 ·
run around outside with your kids for exercise or take them to the park and play with them. no gym membership, you'll be "the coolest mom" and the fresh air will zonk everyone out :)

#19 ·
This one is hard for me sometimes, but it's an easy way of saving even more than 5 bucks. Next time you have a special occasion you think you need to buy a new outfit for, take a long hard look in your closet first. There is probably something you can put together. If not, figure out what you absolutely need and try the thrift stores first. Recently I needed a dress and found a great never been worn one for $2.25 at Goodwill!

#20 ·
hmmm $5.00 ~

* pack your lunch instead of going to McDonalds

* bake bread or go to bread store for 99 cent loaves

* skip the lunch meat and eat P B & J instead

* step away from the vending machines (buy snacks/pop in bulk and carrying them with you)

* if you do go out to eat, go to a "dive" restaurant or bar rather than a fancier place to meet your friends

#22 ·
Make homemade pizza instead of buying takeout pizza. :mdance:

#23 ·
borrow magazines from libary instead of buying the latest at store -last minute i think i need it. nope
make cookie logs instead of buying pillsbury ones.

#24 ·
Freeze the end of a gallon of milk individual servings a few days before it expires. I do this every week and every 3rd of 4th week, I can skip buying milk. Not quite a $5.00 savings, but close depending on the price per gallon. Believe me, on a $50.00 a week budget, I'm thanking my lucky stars I don't have to squeak a gallon of milk out of that budget EVERY week.

#25 ·
Make your own laundry detergent.
Make your own dishwasher detergent
Use vinegar for rinse instead of liquid fabric softener
Rent or borrow a video instead of going to the movies
Wait until a movie comes out on dvd

#26 ·
Well, since I can't go by bike for work, as I'm a home health aide (my first place is 18-23 miles away), I have to take my car. My last stop is about 30 miles away from home, but the gas is generally cheaper in that town than my home town, so I get gas there, and at the lower priced stations there, too!

I do online bill pay as much as I can, too.

If you forget your reusable grocery bags, at least you can use the plastic ones to line your in-the-house garbage cans, keeping them cleaner, so you don't have to use cleaning products to clean up the garbage cans 'cause they stink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.